It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Six Months Without a Cellphone - I feel fine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You can tell from my avatar (as well as the majority of my posts) that I am a tech-head. I work in the field of computers and technology as a whole. Albeit, I'm not creating complicated algorithms or pushing the boundaries of science; But I am making interesting and often artistic contributions to a growing cyber landscape. For all intended purposes, I should have a cellphone, or even a landline. Yet,

I have gone six months without a cellphone. I feel fine.

I did NOT decide to get rid of it. I was NOT afraid of the cancer or the wiretapping/eavesdropping or the GPS tracking.

I had a gloriously new G1 Google phone that I received on Christmas day of 2008.

I accidentally washed my first one in the laundry. I forgot that it was in my coat jacket. *sigh* It took me about two weeks to get it back. During that period of time, I was distraught and had numerous feelings of phantom phone which eventually subsided.

I went back to my normal cellphone usage/addiction.

Then, about 6 months ago, my cellphone was STOLEN while I was doing laundry in a laundry mat in upper Manhattan. Some punk kid walked in and grabbed it off of the table and walked right out while I wasn't looking. It was actually quite impressive now that I look back on it. At this point, I figured that the universe wanted me to have either clean clothes, or a cellphone. Not both. I take hints.

Of course, this time I was furious. I ran around town and hunted him down. I asked everyone in the upper east side if they knew him. I went to apartment complex to apartment complex, until I found a group of people that knew him. Unfortunately for me, he allegedly skipped town that morning and hasn't been seen since. Actually, the story regarding the thief is a complicated but uninteresting one, so I will leave that out.

The next few weeks were filled with police reports and discussions with tmobile. The process to actually replace the stolen phone was complicated due to me moving out of my apartment. Therefore, I put it off for a few weeks. This time, I had a similar (or potentially more severe) withdrawal from my phone.

However, after two weeks, I felt as if I never owned one.

I stopped reaching for my phone while on the subway, or in the car, or while walking. I started to pay attention to the world around me, instead of the world inside my phone. And It was at this point in time that I outright refused to get a new one. Life without a phone wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

For one, I bought a watch.

I became punctual, as I couldn't call people to apologize to friends/associates for being late. My memory expanded as I had to remember more phone numbers, emails and directions. Personal moments became more personal, as I had to remember things vividly as I couldn't take a photos or videos of the moments. Well, I really began to appreciate certain things more.

Emergencies are emergencies, and with all likelihood these things wouldn't even work in the event of one. There are cons to not having one, therefore I will admit that they are useful, and they do make certain things simpler and comfortable. But comfort leads to dependence.

I guess the point of this thread is to at least acknowledge that these devices are not necessary. They are not REQUIRED. They are just like any other device. They are useful. Please keep that in mind.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

I've never owned a cell phone. I'm not a technology hating luddite. I just hate talking on the telephone. Any telephone.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

I don't know but this was a great read! Star for that bro.
Cell phones are bunk anyways.
Sometimes I wish they were never invented. Just to make drivers mad!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
S + F!!
I had a cell phone 2 years ago for about 6 months.
I hated it. I like the freedom without it. Sick of all
the texters and jerkoffs who have em attached to their
swollen heads while driving, shopping etc.
Cut the umbilical chord.

When someone is next to me on the phone in public I pretend they
are talking to me, and talk back to them just as loud and obnoxious.

Usually encourages them to get off the phone or move.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

I'd love to be able to get rid of the phone, but I'm a freelance tech (employed unemployed), and have to take calls no matter where I'm at.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

Hello, i had a cell phone for 2 years, then my parents took it away

I came to realize that only when those gadgets are in your life do you think you need them. same with drugs, sex, so on so forth. mind, or matter. which do you rely on?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Argh the good old days......

You could disappear down the pub and the girlfriend couldn't find you.

You could call sick into work and they couldn't reach you (you were at the doctors or chemists)

If someone wanted to talk to you they had to SPEAK to you.

I feel a tear in my eye!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I hate people on cellphones, they are on the roads, driving talking on them they are in the damn grocery store talking on them. I wish they made a cellphone Gorilla Glue so they could glue to their head and sleep with the thing glued to them 24 hours a day. Maybe that will be next.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
reply to post by patmac

I've never owned a cell phone. I'm not a technology hating luddite. I just hate talking on the telephone. Any telephone.

I have not owned a cellphone for 9 years now, and never will again.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
S + F!!
I had a cell phone 2 years ago for about 6 months.
I hated it. I like the freedom without it. Sick of all
the texters and jerkoffs who have em attached to their
swollen heads while driving, shopping etc.
Cut the umbilical chord.

When someone is next to me on the phone in public I pretend they
are talking to me, and talk back to them just as loud and obnoxious.

Usually encourages them to get off the phone or move.

Im pretty sure you wouldnt be messing around with some people. Little kids, ladys, grandmas. Sure.

But Im willing to bet that if I was standing there with my typical non-social-friendly look on my face, standing all of 6-1 and 195 pounds of man, you wouldnt be saying anything to me while I was talking on my iphone.

You talk a tough game. But reality is reality. You would only do this method to people physically smaller than you and less threatening. Stop trying to be tough before you meet your match on the street and get your ass kicked for being a noisy punk.

I dont know why I even replyed to this, because the greater reality is that your completely lying about this, and you have never done this before. You only wish you had the balls to do it.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by MrSmith]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Good for you!

Honestly, I just don't think I could do that. I don't have a good excuse. And that's unfortunate. But man, even take away my texting and I would be a wreck.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Wow, I spent a whole year without a cellphone and I felt exactly as I do now, while currently using a cellphone. Though, I'm sure your story will save the lives of countless others, OP. This story will end all famine, and people with polio will be cured of their affliction.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the time when millions of people start dropping dead from brain cancer, and cell phone users are treated the same way smokers are.

That would be interesting....

Mandatory warning label on all cell phones.
Huge taxes.
No cell phone use inside buildings, they will come up with some excuse for it, just like they did to smokers.
Age Limit 18

I find it very hard to believe that something that emits such power held up to your brain for extended periods of time can not harm you.

Every once in a while a study comes out saying cell phones can harm you, then almost immediately someone says it is not so. I think governments have a vested interest in people using cell phones. Great way to keep track of you, and to keep you in line. But when millions upon millions start keeling over, the people will finally wake up.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I still have an old land line and when the power has gone out before and people could not charge their cell phones I still had phone service, I also still have one of the very old phones that plug right into the phone line that is not a cordless phone.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Your probably right. I think cellphones have taken the place of cigarettes. People just need to be constantly doing something. Like toddlers.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Wow, I spent a whole year without a cellphone and I felt exactly as I do now, while currently using a cellphone. Though, I'm sure your story will save the lives of countless others, OP. This story will end all famine, and people with polio will be cured of their affliction.

Well, according to recent studies it diffidently won't cure cancer, but it may prevent certain types of it from entering my own body. But that's besides the point.

Also, you completely missed the intent of the thread. The technological dependency is what is of concern here. I watch people all day as they reach for their phone as a crutch. The subways are quite literally plagued with people who are not only oblivious to their own surroundings as a result of this, but they appear to leap face first into their iphones as soon as the subway doors close.

If you feel as if these phones make our lives better, that is fine. However, personally, I'd like to consider the adverse effects of phone usage as well and be able to make a conscious decision on how the pros and cons would weigh in on my personal life. That is just me. I am not bashing phone users, nor am I demonizing casual/moderate usage. If anything, I am against blatant overuse and unrecognized technological addictions.

And yes, I say this while knowing my own hippocracy is evident in that I post on this forum 10 times a day. However, I can rationalize my ats usage; Where I cannot always rationalize my overuse of my previously owned cellphone.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Good for you!

As anyone that knows me can tell you, I think cell phones are evil!

They will be everyones own worst enemy...very soon..if not already.
Not very many years ago, cells were none existant, ppl were responsible, and punctual.
Now everyone has a leash on "my name for cells is a leash" if your so insecure about what your doing that you need verbal support to do it, your not doing what you really want to do to begin with.

Not to mention the "right now ppl" the same ppl ranting for a greener earth are ordering next day air items to keep up with friends family and neighbors..if not next day air 3 day UPS orders on a 5 MPG big rig.

Its a bad state of mind to have IMO.
No one put real research or thought into purchases or decisions of their time, and how to use their time the way they want rather than having a family member call you at ohh say Silver Dollar City and tell you, that they are coming too, and need to wait on them....fooooey...I did not go for them to begin with , I went for my ownreasons not thiers.

Too much accessability can and is bad for personal/individuality

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I do online surveys and sometimes they ask you about the gadgets you have with questions like 'How important is it for you to always be in touch?' Eeek!
I always feel a bit inadequate when I do these things as I get the impression I must be the only person in the universe without x, y and z..

Other than when a job has required me to be available, I don't bother much. I've a bottom of the range prepay for emergencies. So it doesn't get me the latest world news, check the email, make the coffee or do handstands. It makes and receives calls.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Good! I've never had one (even though I was also in the tech field) and I've been getting along just great!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

I am in the exact same boat as you are. I have a low end prepay phone for long car trips just in case I need to get a tow truck. I wouldn't even have a house phone if I didn't use it to keep in touch with my family. Hate seeing people while driving and they're texting others it makes me want to cut them off just to see how well they're paying attention. Shame they can't turn a car into a Faraday cage.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join