It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Protection For Your Windows Based System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wanted to post this so that all our info finding on ATS can be a little safer (for our computer at least

I've come to find through the years that "iffy" web sites are great places to find "information"... but, it's also a great place to pick-up unwanted viruses, spyware & malware (sometimes just by visiting the site).

We all know how vulnerable the Windows OS can be, especially compared to MAC. But why are we Win. (lose) Users made to pay for securing/protecting our system.

These nuisances can become massive problems to your system and thus your stored information. Of coarse good back-up habits (on external drives) can prevent any mishaps, such as loosing your compiled files.

But the best thing is to be prepared.

I spent a couple years looking into "Free" programs and testing them out... and yes there is a lot of bogus programs out there. Using the following programs I have not had a single viral problem since, and resolved other's computers as well. Use all programs at your own risk.

The "Free" programs I'm going to talk about can all be found (conveniently) on WWW.CNET.COM Type in program name in their search tab, or locate the programs website yourself. REMEMBER to download the latest updates for program to work properly

Virus Protection - Use one or the other:

Microsoft Security Essentials - Is the free version of "Windows Live One Care".
Pro/1 - Excellent on-going protection. I have been able to restore the most virus riddled computers with this program.
Pro/2 - This is a Microsoft program so its completely compatible
Con/1 - I've had massive problems on older versions of Windows (prior XP), and on XP I think you must have all 3 service packs installed prior to installing.
Con/1 - If your RAM memory is less then 500 MB, you could experience some extra lag on your computer

AVG - Great alternative for a virus program
Pro/1 - Works on all versions of Windows I've tried (down to Windows 98)
Pro/2 - Doesn't gobble up to much RAM, so great on computers below 750 MB
Con/1 - It's becoming harder and harder to find the actual free program online. Half the time it's a link to a trial version. Look for a 30 to 60 MB file (can't remember exactly), and not the 2 to 8 MB link file.
Con/2 - I've had some really nasty viruses slip by this program and disable it

Spyware/Malware Protection & Registry Repair - Use both:

Spybot Search & Destroy - Best Restoration & Protection program with extra capabilities, also has a worth reading licensing agreement.
Pro/1 - Extensive list for removal and vaccination of Spy/Mal ware
Pro/2 - Has some great extras
Con/1 - Some of those extras could mess up your system if your not careful.
Con/2 - You need at least 1GB of Ram to have real time protection run without too much bog. Anything less then 1GB you should disable the real time (through your MSCONFIG).

Advanced System Care - Great all around program, Use instead of, or in combination with SB S&D.
Pro/1 - Removes a great deal of Spy/Mal ware with fast scans.
Pro/2 - Has excellent extras, from game booster to defrag to Start-up Config.
Pro/3 - Great for lower RAM computers
Con/1 - Again some extras can mess up your system if your not careful
Con/2 - To unlock it's "true" potential you need to buy

If you try them, Let me (and the others) know how these worked for you.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by FORMe2p00p0n]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FORMe2p00p0n

the best thing to do on net is have firefox, and addons, to block scripts period. then if your careful where you browse you should be fairly ok, not 100% but you should be ok.

But thx for info too.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

that's not enough on windows, you want a firewall too, firefox is not 100% safe + many app connect silently, opening ports all over

btw if anyone know of a good firewall that works with vista ?

otherwise use kerio 2.15 (latest releases not as good)

for antivirus avast is vg free alternative; avoid norton absolutely.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
aaaa,u forgot to incluse the BEST
threadfire
wtf dude XD

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Do not in any way use MS security essentials -it is spyware-please go over past posts in comp help and you will see a post dedicated to it.

Also, I strongly suggest NOT using Advanced System Care, I have many people destroy their systems by using it.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Heard good things about Comodo.

Don't like Norton or MaCafee. They are resource hogs. Even though you pay for them, or you get them with your ISP for free, they still let stuff slip by.

If I were to buy one, I personally like Malwarebytes. The free version is always there to use in conjunction with another antivirus program, just in case something slips by. The free version will not run in the background, so will not conflict with another anti-virus program. (Pay version would be different) This is a tough little program. I have not tried the pay version of this, but my guess is that it would be a fine program to have running to protect your computer.

I have a liking for MS Security Essentials, but I am willing to change to something else if it proves to let too many things through. I did find some adware that came through Security Essentials on my last scan with Malwarebytes.

Kaspersky is supposed to be good. Don't know if I spelled it right. It's a little more pricey than some others per year.

Malwarebytes has my vote for pay, because I have used it and am familiar with how well the free version works.

If you want free protection, maybe try Comodo free, or AVG free in conjunction with Malwarebytes free.

All in all, I don't know if you are ever 100% protected, if someone knows of software that can do this or at least come very close, then I would like to know.

Troy

[edit on 13-1-2010 by cybertroy]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Dumb question, but I have to ask:
Doesn't Windows come with a Firewall? Is Defender a Firewall?
I'm not using Windows anymore, but that's all that I had when I was...
*asking because (by default) I get asked all the questions by the parents*

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Dumb question, but I have to ask:
Doesn't Windows come with a Firewall? Is Defender a Firewall?

Windows does come with a firewall but it sucks eggs.
When forced to use Windows, I turn firewall off in Services. If you do this, be careful because certain updates will turn it back on without notifying you. (I call this Bill's Will).

One of the main issues with Win firewall is that it only blocks incoming packets, not outgoing. If you get some sort of bug or a program wants to Phone Home without asking, a real firewall will alert you. Win firewall won't.

I like Comodo firewall but some might find it a bit chatty and have to torque it down.

If one is reasonably careful, a decent firewall, free antivirus, and a safe browser is all you need. DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER. It's like swiss cheese: full of holes.

--> GO LINUX!!!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Thank you!
That helps a lot.
I did go LinuxMint but there is NO way they will.
All I can do is make their system the best it can be, old farts that they are.
/said with much love

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I've got a pair of my own (parents, that is).
They're using XP because it's all they (barely) know.
If they start to have serious problems, I might switch them to linux but right now I'm not rocking the boat.

The netbook remix of Ubuntu might be worth looking into for its simplified interface. It's usable by 5 year olds (and my coworkers).

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Well any spyware that can take a computer (actually 3 different computers) so riddled with viruses you can't do anything and restore it completely back to normal (with just a little extra knowledge of computers) is AWESOME in my book.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well, some other advice would save people time and data.

Use Firefox or any Browser app not IE and not an integral parts Windows.Don't use Outlook for the same reason.Thunderbird is the same thing from Firefox.But I prefer web based e-mail services as the first line of defense.My preference only.

Also very important at least to me.

Don't open mass forwarded e-mails from family and friends.One infected computer can infect a million.It's like anonymous group sex.Not good.

Download picture only sent to you by family and close friends of family and friends.

Better yet use Flicker and have family rights so people can add their pictures from there and you can download them from there.Yahoo owns it and they one virus scans before it is stored on their servers.

There are other free sites to like Photobucket etc.

Both my sisters got viruses from a picture and it cost them bucks because I am not near them to check their computers to see if they have safety measures implemented.

Both use outlook express,"well,it came with the computer" and both got the same picture from a friend. They viewed it and their computer was so badly infected the had to take it to a tech.

I bet their "friend" infected hundreds of computers,they infected a hundred, etc........

I practice these principals and all the OP has listed and I have never gotten a virus on this machine.Now my daughter ,who thinks she is savvy is another thing......

[edit on 14-3-2010 by Oneolddude]

top topics

join