It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moral conditioning of children (to become compliant) through TV cartoons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I just saw part of an episode of a children's cartoon called Angelina Ballerina. I don't remember the exact script, so I am typing their comments as close as I remember them.

Angelina is a mouse, with a mouse family who live in otherwise human houses in a human style community. Why animals are depicted in otherwise human settings never ceases to amaze me. It's stupid.

Angelina and her friends/family want to have a party. Angelina is out on the street, in front of her house playing her guitar, plugged into a small amp. No big deal, she's strumming some chords and practising.

The old fogey neighbour, from across the road and a few houses up, comes over to complain about the noise. Angelina's father says "We have to respect the right for Mrs X to have her sleep undisturbed by the music." Angelina complains and asks how they will have the party. Her dad says, "Well, we will have to cancel the party. We can't have any loud music playing and risk upsetting Mrs X."

At the end of the episode, Angelina decided that they would have the party, but they would play soft, tranquil, soothing music instead, so that Mrs X can have a peaceful sleep, while they still have their fun. Her dad says. "Now you found a way to make everyone happy, Angelina. Well done."

What the F is wrong with this scenario??? Mrs X can complain all that she likes, but what right does her sleep time have to trump a little girl's party?

I got angry watching it. 'They' are trying to teach children that it's ok to back down and that a compromise is the best solution.

No! Sometimes it's not ok to back down. Sometimes other people need to realise that they have to mind their own friggin' business and put up with a little discomfort from time to time.

This episode was teaching children how to become compliant and how to bow down to the authority of the another person. Dangerous.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Well, if this is the first time you got angry, quit watching cartoons.
I see the conditioning of adults through TV everyday. (MSM)
I find it funny that a child can count to 10 in Spanish before they even know English. Is that a problem? Conspiracy? I don't know.

Good point, though.
*S&F*

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Not the first time that I got angry watching 'feel good' cartoons... but the first time that I have been close enough to the computer to start an ATS thread about it!

Yeah, my kids watch Dora the Explorer and can say some Spanish words, so I know what you mean.

It seems that the moral majority want to turn the next generation into soft, pliable marshmallows. Being told what to do, think, say and act is downright scary.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think kids do learn alot from cartoons when they are a kid. I remember dogtanian as a kid, in my childhood. I cannot see anything wrong with something like that, as i loved it. I thing it rubbed alot on me, and i think me liking the idea of one world, came from it, in all for one sort of thing.

Conditioning as a kid is important, and they already know this.

I do not know what they watch today as kids, but i am glad i watched dogtanian and the like.

You can call it brainwashing, if you like, but a kid has to do something.

Can all you look back when you where a kid and see which cartoon you liked best, and why you think you liked it. What lessons did it teach you.

I agree with the idea, of using cartoons,a s long as they are teaching good lessons, to kids to shape them. Do you guys not accept that using these things to shape how kids think is not a good thing, if done correctly to teach kids the right things?

[edit on 12/29/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Why would it? It would only be a problem if you think that it is ignorant for a child to learn more than one language, specially at an early age. As far as the OP, you barely noticed it? This is old news, and regardless, why are you watching a little kid show anyway?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

Loads of adults watch cartoons, some for nostalgia and some for other reasons.

But the op is right to point to conditioning.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Yes, I see this alot, and Since I am in school, I see alot of slanted teaching, and a load of crap about "diversity". I'm not advocating intolerancy to anyone who does not wish to partake in it, but it is condition for kids to thinkg everyone is equal at everything, which is not true.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I will not deny that kid programming is just mental conditioning, but this has been pointed out before. If you as an adult are watching cartoons, and they make you angry, then stop watching them, and in turn fueling the brainwashing. I understand if you have kids, you have to keep track of what they are watching, and that is good. One thing though, why get mad now over this kid show teaching kids to respect others right to live peaceful? There are shows out there teaching kids how to kill.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Haha! Our evil plan is complete! By teaching children to be considerate to others and finding compromising solutions to problems concerning the elderly through cartoons it will help us enslave the population and instate the new world order! This is why I joined Illuminati! Hahaha!

I really don't see that happening

Originally posted by kingoftheworld

I'm not advocating intolerancy to anyone who does not wish to partake in it, but it is condition for kids to thinkg everyone is equal at everything, which is not true.

Vicki: I'm sorry, Lisa, but giving everyone an equal part when they're clearly
not equal is called what, again, class?
Class: Communism!
--Simpsons: Last tap dance in springfield

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Incendia vox]

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Incendia vox]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Find something else to get angry about. Right now children are being raped/molested, murdered, beaten, starved, mentally and emotionally abused yet you're complaining about animation.

Stop.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Keep quiet, chaps, let's be gentlemen here.
why do you always have to go radical every time someone talks about children?
The OP's intent was to say that some Tv show may cause kids to find a compromise soon in case of a problem, without trying to oppose their own point of view on the matter. That's quite alarming.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
And how is this any different than Faerie Tales that the past 75 generations have read or recited to their children?

How is this any different from the mythologies that the 1000 generations before them told to their children?

The purpose of these are to prepare our children for the world around them. In order for them to be something other than mildly entertaining, and to actually help prepare them for the world, the stories we tell our children must be poignant and relevant to the world around them.

How to compromise rather than face a conflict is important and not only the diplomatic course of action, but it is the courteous and civil one.

There are a lot more people on this planet than just you. It can't be just about you and what you want. You have to learn to get along and play well with others. This is Kindergarden lesson material. You should always be mindful of those around you and how your actions impact not just you, but your neighbors as well.

I would love to blare my music as loud as I want, however, my neighbors might not appreciate that. Therefore, I compromise, out of common courtesy, decency, and civility towards others, and put on headphones instead. My neighbors aren't therefore bothered by what I choose to do. In a perfect society, if my neighbors abide by the Golden Rule, then all is Golden and there is peace, tranquility and harmony in the neighborhood.

At some point we need to learn that might no longer makes right. There is no shame or defeat in showing courtesy, civility, or compromise to ensure peace. If anything, it gives you power and it shows that you are one of honor, which in turn creates mutual respect and eventually treatment in kind. Even Sun Tzu understood this millennium ago. That carpenter from Galilee understood this millennium ago. Even Buddha understood this millennium ago. I'm not quite sure why it is a foreign concept to people today.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Yes there is compromise, as you have stated. Respectful compromise does work both ways and I agree with your post. But, sometimes you do want to have a party, and you want loud music, so what do you do?

I believe another solution is you inform the neighbor that you are going to be having a party, with loud music and that it will be during certain hours. The neighbors are informed, maybe even invited and you can have your loud party with no surprises.

This way, nobody leaves thinking that they just got screwed, in some imaginary self centered, egotistical kind of way because "they gave in". This is what divides us, and makes us easily controlled. We can't even live amongst ourselves because we don't want to "give in".

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

We live in societies and most of the time it is NOT ok to disturb others and be inconsiderate and selfish.

Teaching children that their needs and desires are above those of other people creates little monsters and later huge a-holes.

There is nothing wrong with compromises. Compromises are not the same as being complacent and bowing down to others.

Aren't you reading too much in a kids cartoon anyways? They're meant for the minds of children, which are simpler and more naive. Maybe you should start watching stuff that's more appropriate for your age?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
Not the first time that I got angry watching 'feel good' cartoons... but the first time that I have been close enough to the computer to start an ATS thread about it!

Yeah, my kids watch Dora the Explorer and can say some Spanish words, so I know what you mean.

It seems that the moral majority want to turn the next generation into soft, pliable marshmallows. Being told what to do, think, say and act is downright scary.

If you honestly think that kids are being conditioned to be 'pliable', I suggest you teach for a day in high school. See how complacent the children are when you take their cell phone away - or worse ask them to work or learn something.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by souls

I have no problem with conditioning for kids as long as its the right stuff they are learning.

I do not know what they are learning today as i will never bring kids into this world, but the op has a right if he or she has kids, to voice there fears about it.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GTORick
If you honestly think that kids are being conditioned to be 'pliable', I suggest you teach for a day in high school.

The cartoon was probably aimed at four to six year old children. I don't see how that relates to high school.

Originally posted by GTORick
or worse ask them to work or learn something.

Perhaps your teaching method may not inspire all of your students to learn, without being asked (forced?) to do so?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wallachian
reply to post by tezzajw

We live in societies and most of the time it is NOT ok to disturb others and be inconsiderate and selfish.

Teaching children that their needs and desires are above those of other people creates little monsters and later huge a-holes.

There is nothing wrong with compromises. Compromises are not the same as being complacent and bowing down to others.

Aren't you reading too much in a kids cartoon anyways? They're meant for the minds of children, which are simpler and more naive. Maybe you should start watching stuff that's more appropriate for your age?

Cartoons are written by adults and not children, they teach adult concepts and pass them off as kids ideas.
I have 2 small children and I am amazed at the amount of brain washing is done with children, that is why I limit their watching of TV.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Children's television today is a far cry from the televisual delights of, I can't believe I'm going to say this, my day.

Our programs had characters, plots, morals with relevance, adventure and most importantly, inspiration. They were not multicoloured and they didn't have their own language.

As for indoctrination, I see terrible shows, not evil brainwashing. Laziness rather than conditioning. Most programs promote positive actions anyway, although they take away an important skill development; investigation. We used to see something and be inspired to learn more for ourselves instead of wait for the next episode to feed us. TV is a powerful tool, however too many parents use the rectangular baby sitter all too often, a very easy option...

Anyone in the UK ever seen Waybaloo or whatever it's called? Creeps me out...

Sendran.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
As the mother of a daugher, this is a cartoon I let her watch.
The lesson to be learned in this is that the world does not revolve around you and that it is good manners to respect others. Something ALL kids should be learning.

I have had to deal with loud obnoxious neighbors before. Unless you live on an island, you might want to learn to be neighborly, find compromises and try and work together in order to have a more peaceful living experience.

I think you are looking way tooooo much into this episode.

The cartoon is innocent and teaches morals and values. Again, something kids need.

And to those who complain about kids knowing other languages. I find it very odd anyone would have a problem with this. My daughter knows English (obviously) but is learning spanish and chinese thanks to some of these cartoons. Great great brain exercise - even if she never uses the language for communicating with others.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join