It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best carbine/pistol combo with interchangeable magazines?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by moonwilson

Thanks Moonwilson. That was precisely the kind of feedback I was hoping to get. After looking around it does seem the Storm is the only good option. I'd given up on the Ruger PC9 as it seems to be totally unavailable anywhere, same goes for the keltecs (at least a few months ago).
You have a great point about the Storm in .45 having insufficient rounds considering it's a carbine. I really watned the stopping power you get with a .45 but I'm a fair shot and would probably make out fine with the 9mm version. And yes, the thread was wandering pretty badly but I always learn something

Kudos for the great comments, it's the real shooters I was hoping to hear from like yourself. Thanks again

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seasoul

I see you went to the AK sale too
Nice pic there, shame I already have some of those.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonwilson
~snip~

Personally, I'd like to see a carbine/ pistol combo from Glock based on the G21 platform- in .45ACP.

Ask and Ye shall receive! (sortof)

Kriss Super V
+
Glock G36

in .45 ACP

The Kriss accepts stock and hi-cap Glock magazines.

edit to add: I chose the G36 because the OP wanted to CC the handgun and the G36 is currently Glock's most concealable platform in .45ACP. You could substitute the G21 no prob, with just a slight hit in concealability.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by tjack]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Just to be silly and if I ever win the powerball one cool toy I always wanted is the ULTIMATE Desert Eagle collection. This massive package consists of an aluminum carrying case (jacketed in black ballistic nylon) filled with the components of the Desert Eagle Mark XIX system to give you the option to switch between all three calibers (.50AE/.44 Magnum/.357 Magnum) and both 6-inch and 10-inch barrel lengths.

6-Inch & 10-Inch Mark XIX Component System Package

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/767fca7e39cf.jpg[/atsimg]
So anyone lend my $4,402.00 ??? BTW I want my set with the Titanium Gold Tiger Stripes finish

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a17bdc969d0e.jpg[/atsimg]
not quite a CCW but it does touch your idea of two weapons same cartridge

[edit on 30-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

well, i don't care about the debate, but to REPLY DIRECTLY TO THE OP--

why not have both?

www.parts.cc...

OR, you can get a kel-tec sub2000, which is a sweet carbine which takes glock mags

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I own a kel-tec sub 2000 in 40 s&w it is a really nice gun and all tricked out it uses a glock magazine the gun is deadly accurate to about 100 yards and with 15 round clips really packs a punch not to mention it folds in half and would fit in a briefcase or backpack also it is really easy to clean.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hey Daddy bare, why not send me $10,000 and I will inlay a desert eagle in 22kt gold stripes and blue the steel between? I worked in commemorative firearms and I ve seen some silly and extreme stuff - like a gold plated AK 47 or a titatium plated Colt Anaconda

People buy this stuff! To each their own.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by itsawild1

Semi-Auto Tommys

It's helps to get your point across if you dont punctuate and cap like a tard with Tourette syndrome..

My thoughts exactly. You can purchase a semi any day of the week. I love it when someone gets all pissy about nothing.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I know were having fun with this but as one old gunsmith to an engraver let me ask... have you ever thought about a set like the Dan Wesson with its interchangeable barrels? you could get a 2" snubby for CC then a scoped 12" for longer range hunting... of course to those who follow my threads know I'm a big fan of the large frame Dan Wessons so you know I have to sneak that in somewhere... cost have come way down now that the old wheel guns are out of favor
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/244edabef248.jpg[/atsimg]

this one is the newer mark II model you can tell by the full length under barrel lug

[edit on 31-12-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The carbine/pistol combo i like is the Mech-Tech CCU
www.mechtechsys.com...

I have one stored in Nevada till i can get a 80% frame for a 45 1911 to build a calif legal frame for one.(or move out of state)
I will need to be unusable on a 1911 .45 and that can be done by not milling the frame to fit a slide but still fit the Mech-Tech CCU

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
some people have lever action rifles and carbines in pistol calibers(357,44 45 )and then carry pistols also in the same caliber,that usually works out fine, just make sure the rifle is a late model , not a early one ,the revolver rounds(357 44 and 45) are staight walled cartridges, not bottle necked rifle rounds,lever action guns were designed to feed and fire bottlenecked ammo not straight walled revolver rounds, the late model guns work good, with revolver ammo, early ones iffy.marlin camp carbine was made in 9mm ,takes S&W double colum mags,dont buy stainless steel 30 rd mags they are not made right. SS is harder to bend than blue steel.MCC was also made in 45ACP takes 1911 GM mags,DO NOT BUY CHEAP MAGS FOR 1911 THEY ARE CRAP!!!!!after 200-300 rds both guns tend to jam up , lots of fouling , just clean ,and keep shooting.some times the bolt hold open latch has sharp edge and bullet comes up and edge diggs into bullet and locks bolt back when ammo is still in mag,dissasemble and lightly grind sharp edge at 45 degree angle,touch up with paint.there was some one who modified MCC mag well to take other 9mm mags of other guns if you didnt like s&w pisols.ruger made police carbine in 9mm and 40 s&w, uses ruger pistol mags in same caliber.ruger also made blackhawk pistol in 30 carbine,you could get M1 carbine to go along with that.the AR-7 rifle in 22 lr, has offspring called explorer 2, i think is name, its basically a Ar-7 rifle turned into pistol takes same mag, not a small gun.the best???well most reliable would be RUGER for semi-auto.on 2-1-2010 by madokie]

[edit on 2-1-2010 by madokie]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by spec_ops_wannabe
This topic got me going and doing some Google searching.
I found a carbine in pistol caliber that seems pretty popular:
The Kel-Tec Sub 2000, can use most pistol magazines from S & W, Glock, Kel-Tec, Beretta, or Sig. The reviews seem pretty good. It increases the effective range of the pistol caliber from 50 yards for standard pistols to around 150 yards for use in the carbine.
A nice feature that really catches the eye is it's folding stock for storage and transportation.

+1 on this suggestion!!

The Sub-2000 is an awesome weapon, especially for only around $350 or so new.

I recommend the .40S&W version. It uses Glock 22,23,27 magazines. The G23 and G27 both make great concealed carry pieces and you can find extended 20 or 30-round magazines for them too.

The .40 hits alot harder than the 9mm and gives you more capacity than a .45. It's the perfect compromise between the two.

My brother-in-law owns one and I've shot it many times. It's a great shooting carbine, well worth the money IMO. Plus it folds up neatly to fit in a BOB or briefcase.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
While I am certain that personal likes, dislikes and target distance can influence a decision for a specific type of weapon, the best combination I have found of carbine and pistol is the 9mm Highpoint rifle and a Glock 17. I Use extended mags and carry one + three mags for the carbine and carry one + 3 three extended 33rd pistol mags for the Glock pistol. This combination works for me because I can use the same ammo from the pistol to rifle with no concern for ammo difference.

Since I only have to carry 9mm ammo, I am able to maximize my basic load carried on any patrol I might choose to undertake. I can address close up situations with the Glock 17 and can engage targets at a distance with the Highpoint carbine rifle and scope.

I would encourage those that understand the importance of being able to function in a combat environment to experiment and to try this combination. The reduced weight and dual use capability works for me and allows me to carry other items that I would have ignored because of total load concerns.

Give it try. I am certain it will be a good mix for those that desire to buy a moderately priced carbine rifle and a pistol that go together hand in hand in a well balanced manner while using the same caliber of ammunition.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Out of all of the firearms I own my favorite is my Glock 17. What I really want to go with it is one of these;

www.botachtactical.com...

This to me would answer the OP's quest for a great combo.

To add, Is this legal to own Semperfortis?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by The Undertaker]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Undertaker
Out of all of the firearms I own my favorite is my Glock 17. What I really want to go with it is one of these;

www.botachtactical.com...

This to me would answer the OP's quest for a great combo.

To add, Is this legal to own Semperfortis?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by The Undertaker]

If you had to ask, then NO!!

Adding a buttstock to anything with a barrel length less than 16" creates a Short-Barreled Rifle, or SBR, which is a Class III item prohibited by the NFA.

You may not own a rifle with a barrel less than 16" unless you have a Class III firearms license. Pistol with a buttstock = rifle according to the ATF.

Creating an SBR by adding a buttstock to a pistol, or shortening the barrel of any rifle or shotgun to less than 16", requires registration and special forms to be filed with the ATF, but you must have a Class III license before you can even do that.

Just google "Class III firearms license" to get you started, plenty of information on the web on how to do this. IIRC it costs around $300, requires a background check and handwritten approval from your local county sheriff. Once you're approved you can legally own sawed-off shotguns, other short-barreled rifles and even fully automatic weapons (if you can afford them!)

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I have indeed thought about having the Dan Wesson interchangeable BUT, I tore a ligament trying to break off a barrel once, don't think I even want to take another barrel off as long as I live! ouchies!
I do love DW's, most underrated revolvers out there.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MaxBlack

If I can't afford the expensive stuff I think your solution may well be the best. I cannot stand the looks of the hi-point carbine stock but I;ve seen aftermarkets that look way better I can swap on it. Thank you

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The carbine/pistol combo i like is the Mech-Tech CCU
www.mechtechsys.com...

I have one stored in Nevada till i can get a 80% frame for a 45 1911 to build a calif legal frame for one.(or move out of state)
I will need to be unusable on a 1911 .45 and that can be done by not milling the frame to fit a slide but still fit the Mech-Tech CCU

HOLY CRAP BATMAN
!!! Have I been in a cave? what an amazing concept! This just might be the ultimate survival weapon. Have you shot it yet? Is it tricky to add the pistol lower on to it? I mean if you just have to slide the lower's rails on to the unit this would be THE THANG.
Going to a gunshow today, I'm hoping someone will have this to look at while I'm there. Amazing stuff.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Few things...

.45 ACP was not designed to be shot out of a 16" barrel. The bullet just starts to slow as it leaves the barrel of a carbine, so I do not recommend the .45 ACP for carbines.

If you are going to have a small caliber carbine with interchangable mags with a pistol... Beretta CX-4 Storm + Beretta M9 / 92 in 9mm. The M9 is mil-spec and will eat +p+ rounds. The CX-4 is fast replacing the MP5 has the CQC carbine in LEO. There are 15, 19, 30+ round mags around for very cheap. The M9 is very accurate. 9x19 was designed as a hot Euro load for carbines.

I am a 9mm fan because you can shoot it alot and get real good with the round. It has just about the same power as any other pistol round. Non +p ammo is easily used by my wife. It's the most popular caliber world wide, so it should be easy to find.

That said, I think shooting all one round is nice, but not a very good idea. A good SKS / AK @ 7.62 x 39 has twice the power at half the price. Plus 7.62 ammo is cheap and the most common world wide.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I should add -

Pistol rounds other than 44mag or 45LC are a waste at 100 meters. These things are designed to be shot within 75meters... more like 50-60meters for true power.

Pistols are handy. My preference is to use the weapon as it is designed. A 3" auto is 20meters in. A 4-5" auto is 50meters max. A carbine 9mm is 65meters max. An AK 7.62 x 39 is 175meters. An AR 5.56 / .223 is out to 200meteres.

Then look at cost. You could buy a SigPro 2022 9mm + an AK for less than $1000 and have two very solid weapons.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join