It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best carbine/pistol combo with interchangeable magazines?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PSUSA

I completely agree with you on that one buddy

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by PSUSA
reply to post by felonius

There is no way I would have a Lorcin, Haskell, Raven, Davis, Hi point, or similiar auto pistols. Period.

I wouldn't lump Hi Point in with Lorcin.
1st of all, I understand Lorcin is out of business. No tears to shed there.
No one has ever said anything good about them. At least not that I ever heard.

But I have heard good things about Hi Point. The people that speak well of them are rather sheepish about it because they know the reputation of other inexpensive weapons and they know others will beat them up over liking them.

I stand corrected and i take back all things said. I do know their service is good. Have they fixed the cheapy pivot striker actuator?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I don't know. I don't own one, and just go off of what owners say.
And I've never heard of a "pivot striker actuator" before. I don't work on them, I just fire and clean them

I think I fired the carbine once. That is the extent of my experience with them.

[edit on 29/12/09 by PSUSA]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Those Kel-Tec rifles seem really cool until you actually handle one. It's plastic all around. And not like super-solid run it over with a tank plastic like an XD is made out of. It's real flimsy plastic.

I was all set to grab one as an all purpose plinker/camper/truck because it folded so nicely and took AR mags until I handled one. Whack it against a wall or tree or drop something on it an it's gone. At least that's the impression I was left with.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

--this is a stupid post---the man asks about guns and he says he already owned a tommy-gun----bull#--to own a tommy-gun you need a batf license--if he had one why is he asking us???????he would already know the answer to the question----dont know the reason he is posting this post---do any of you???/-----TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE READING THIS CONFUSING BULL---LET ME STRAIGHTEN YOU OUT----FIRST NEVER LISTEN TO PEOPLE LIKE THIS---IF YOU WANT TO OWN A RIFLE OR PISTOL FIND A GUN RANGE AND GO THERE--YOU WILL BE WELCOME--ASK QUESTIONS OF THE SHOOTERS THERE--THEY SHOULD BE HAPPY TO DIRRECT YOU------THERE IS NO SIMPLE ANSWER FOR ANY GUN QUESTION---SAFTY IS FIRST----a gun shop only is there for sales--so remember that--they will tell you anything you want to here to make a sale------------I WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER TRUST A SEMI-AUTOMATTIC FOR PERSONAL DEFENCE--NONE ARE JAM PROOF--AND YOU DONT WANT THAT WHEN YOU NEED IT NOW DO YOU-----THE BEST CHOICE IS A REVOLVER AS BIG AS YOU CAN SHOOT COMFORTABLE----I SHOOT A RUGER RED HAWK IN 44 CAL---BIG GUN THAT WILL TAKE A HEAD RIGHT OFF---RIGHT THROUGH A VEST [CRIMINALS WEAR VESTS TOO!!] RIGHT THROUGH A WALL OR CAR----WOMAN MIGHT BE MORE AT HOME WITH 357 CAL------A REVOLVER IS A BEAUTIFUL GUN--WHEN YOU PRESS THAT TRIGGER IT WILL GO OFF---AND YOU CAN CARRY IT WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER--SAFEST-------AS FAR AS RIFLES GO---ANY PUMP IS A BETTER CHOICE THEN ANY AUTO----ANY DAY OF THE WEEK------SAFTY FIRST AND WATCH THE CRAZY ADVISE FROM THE CLIP=CROWD

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

Semi-Auto Tommys

It's helps to get your point across if you dont punctuate and cap like a tard with Tourette syndrome..

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Quit yelling please...

No you do not need a batf permit to own a tommy gun.
unless you have an altered one that is full auto with no abilty to be semi..
They are just like most other autos that you can decide whether or not to shoot it on full auto.
As for the semi auto protection, I have many many guns that have fired over 10k rnds and unless you maintain and know your weapon, I would without hesitation take my semi autos over my revolvers most everytime, usually for the ammount of ammo that can be fed through them.
I give you that my semi autos are from the early 1900's but that in its self should speak volumes, they are still using them almost 100 years later and making the same gun more or less, with no real changes.
You should not attack the OP you are in a big T&C violation here!

After visiting your profile and seeing your in the negative in points and have made the same type of ranting attacks on other members, good luck with the future as far as ATS is most likely not going to be in it long

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
i forgot 1 thing---if you dont buy american you are not an american---so do your homework--make sure it is BUILT in america and not some other country-----and if you are in wisconsin---THE BRISTOL GUNRANGE WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU OUT----JUST ASK FOR GEORGE PETER--he will straighten you out-----he loves newbies--------safety--safety

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
itsawild1

I am a woman and by no means would I ever use a .357 for home defense. I might use it for target shooting. If I could hit the broad side of a barn after the the recoil from it I would be lucky. I had a 12 gage got rid of that because some idiot at the gunstore talked me into it before I ever fired it. He said it was the best home defense weapon I could have. Went to a different gunstore and shot off some guns, the best one for me, a woman to actually shoot and hit a target without the recoil was the Glock 9mm.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
---idid not attack the poster---he attacked us with his post---he claims to have owned a tommy gun---and then he asks a question that showed he knows nothing about guns---that is an attack on my and alls education-----and a tommy gun is not a tommy gun if it is not full-auto--just a nock off piece of wanna be garbage----no 2--people who are not as savy with weapons should not listen to the semi-auto crowd on guns for they dont know quality--or how to maintain the tool to prevent jamming---so the best advice IS for them to stay away from them---no- 3--older guns are not better--crap can be crap no matter when it was made----BELIEVE IT OR NOT MY NO-1 HUNTING GUN IS A 1886--WINCHESTER LEVER IN 33 WCF----THE GUN IS WORTH MORE THAN MOST PEOPLE--BUT EVERY YEAR I AM BEATING THE BUSH -GETTING IT WET AND DIRTY--I HAVE OLD GUNS TOOOOOOOOOOO- and my uncle george builds guns -has taught me much--so i know where i am comming from---I STAND BY MY POST---DONT TRUST AN AUTO FOR PERSONAL DEFENCE-----

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

The link I provided is for Auto-Ordnance the original manufactures of the tommy gun.. it just so happens they make a semi auto (No Tax Stamp required) version for the civilian and collector market... same company...same gun...since 1927... how is that a cheap knock-off???

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamherefornow

---a twelve gage shotgun IS a goog choice for home defence--loaded with buckshot-----WE have a problem here not easly solved---the lady here wants to use a 9mm for home defence---now there are loads of questions pertaining to this. there is no 1 answer--if she shot regular she would have mastered the 12 gage shot gun---but she made it seem that it was too big for her, here is the problem folks, other women might be reading and taking her advice [as well as mine]--did ya know that the twelve gage can be very mild if useing the light loads????--there is a vast array of loads for a 12-gage shotgun---she gave up and went for a pop gun in my oppinion because she probably started out with the heavy loads and gave up--she couldnt control the gun ,or handle the kick--whatever--she gave up and went for a small cal pistol. now in doing this she now must be a much better shot--1,-- pistols are far more inacurat, she must place her shot perfact-for what she is shooting at might just shoot back, and that is what you are preventing in the first place--so did she mess up in trading the shotgun for the small pistol???? if i was home and somebody broke into my house and was endangering my family i would rather have the 12 gage since it covers a much wider range and i dont have to worry about where the bullet went after i shot if i missed [[[REMEMBER A BULLET WILL GO THROUGH WALLS AND YOUR KIDS MIGHT BE IN THE NEXT ROOM]]]---[[[ FOLKS AND YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT BULLET ONCE IT IS FIRED]]]]---[REMEMBER BULLETS TRAVEL A MILE OR MORE WITH THE SHOTGUN, IT WOULD SPREAD OUT FAST and have a SHORT RANGE]---now this lady might open up with her 9mm --shoot her kids in the next room--a person driving by on the street--or a person in the next house-------------------------THIS IS WHY FOLKS, THAT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO FIND A PRO------GO TO A GOOD GUN RANGE AND LEARN WHAT GUNS ARE ABOUT BEFORE MAKING A DECISION ON THE KIND OF GUN TO BUY FOR PERSONAL DEFENCE --SAFETY IS FIRST--SAFETY-SAFETY--AND TONS OF PRACTICE----slightly downhill, with a gentle cross breeze and light snow falling--

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hmm, good point on that. I thought it was a little fishy when I looked at the stats and it said most of the body was made from the composites. But anyways, the OP wanted a carbine that would take pistol magazines and I delivered.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsawild1
reply to post by Asktheanimals

--this is a stupid post---the man asks about guns and he says he already owned a tommy-gun----bull#--to own a tommy-gun you need a batf license--if he had one why is he asking us???????he would already know the answer to the question----dont know the reason he is posting this post---do any of you???/-----TO ANY OF YOU WHO ARE READING THIS CONFUSING BULL---LET ME STRAIGHTEN YOU OUT----FIRST NEVER LISTEN TO PEOPLE LIKE THIS---IF YOU WANT TO OWN A RIFLE OR PISTOL FIND A GUN RANGE AND GO THERE--YOU WILL BE WELCOME--ASK QUESTIONS OF THE SHOOTERS THERE--THEY SHOULD BE HAPPY TO DIRRECT YOU------THERE IS NO SIMPLE ANSWER FOR ANY GUN QUESTION---SAFTY IS FIRST----a gun shop only is there for sales--so remember that--they will tell you anything you want to here to make a sale------------I WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU SHOULD NEVER TRUST A SEMI-AUTOMATTIC FOR PERSONAL DEFENCE--NONE ARE JAM PROOF--AND YOU DONT WANT THAT WHEN YOU NEED IT NOW DO YOU-----THE BEST CHOICE IS A REVOLVER AS BIG AS YOU CAN SHOOT COMFORTABLE----I SHOOT A RUGER RED HAWK IN 44 CAL---BIG GUN THAT WILL TAKE A HEAD RIGHT OFF---RIGHT THROUGH A VEST [CRIMINALS WEAR VESTS TOO!!] RIGHT THROUGH A WALL OR CAR----WOMAN MIGHT BE MORE AT HOME WITH 357 CAL------A REVOLVER IS A BEAUTIFUL GUN--WHEN YOU PRESS THAT TRIGGER IT WILL GO OFF---AND YOU CAN CARRY IT WITH ONE IN THE CHAMBER--SAFEST-------AS FAR AS RIFLES GO---ANY PUMP IS A BETTER CHOICE THEN ANY AUTO----ANY DAY OF THE WEEK------SAFTY FIRST AND WATCH THE CRAZY ADVISE FROM THE CLIP=CROWD

Wow! Quite a mouthful there mate. Welcome to ATS, I don;t believe we've met. You don't know me nor what I may have or currently own. I'm an engraver by trade so I've had my mitts on many guns from Brown Besses to Calico 9mm carbines. I also worked at the Marine Corps Raider museum. I could go on..but,
Don't type in all caps please.
I began the thread because there are people here whose advice I value very much. I consider them a personal resource of sorts .

Lotta knowledgeable folk here and I suggest you can do the same for yourself when you need some good outside opinions.
NOBODY knows everything about every gun in every situation.
And yes, my Thompson was legal. It was a semi-auto commemorative version with a guitar case. Mirror polished, blued steel with etching and selective gold plating, pretty

Welcome to ATS, remember while you're here if you break it, you pay for it

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Take your own advice fella. Ever see 00 Buck go through drywall? Be careful what you load into your shotgun if you are worried about wall penetration.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

instead of suggesting light loads for a 12 guage, I'd say that a junior 20 guage 870 is a much better choice, lighter, shorter, less recoil, and a upclose encounter is going to yield the same results as a 20 guage. Plus there is even less risk of going into the next room fatally.

As for home defence witha bullet, it depends on the situation. I'm married, without kids, and I live in a brick house. My home defense is my RRA car-a4 loaded with hollow-points to minimize collateral damage. If I had children, it would be what I said above, a 20 guage junior.

Look into glaser rounds for home defense with a pistol, they will yield the same results as htting your foe with a sledghammer, but break up quickly for low penetration through walls.

Of course no matter what weapon you use, know what is beyond your target, this includes whatever is in the next room and windows. If the intruder is standing between you and the wall of your childs room, find another way to neutralize the threat, it is that simple.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by OneDivided]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneDivided

Look into glaser rounds for home defense with a pistol, they will yield the same results as htting your foe with a sledghammer, but break up quickly for low penetration through walls.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by OneDivided]
Glaser Safety Slugs are awesome ammo, particularly for home defense. One should be careful though... they break up on glancing or ricochet-type shots. When firing at a wall perpendicularly, they will penetrate and do not open up. When they hit a soft target, the hydrostatic shock will cause the thin copper case to open. I experimented with them, firing through a 1'' pine board at twenty yards with a cantaloupe placed about a foot behind the board. The slug penetrated the board without rupturing or expanding, and blew the top half of the melon off.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is one of the most severe cases of thread drift I've ever seen.

The question is: "What is the best carbine/pistol combo with interchangeable magazines?"

You don't have a whole lot of options here.

You have the Beretta Storm carbine, which will accept magazines from the 92 series and Storm pistols.

You have 1911 carbine conversion kits, that are basically 1911 lower receivers with a carbine upper on top.

You have the Hi-Point carbine monstrosity, which accepts Hi-point pistol magazines.

And there is the Kel-Tec carbine, which can accept magazines from various manufacturers, in various calibers.

Out of these options, I prefer the Beretta Storm carbine/ 92F combo, in 9mm. You can get the Storm in .40 and even .45 now, but you don't want either of those options. The recoil in the carbine from the .40 is quite whippy and unpleasant, and the magazine capacity in the .45 is only 8, which is unacceptable IMO. In 9mm, the Storm carbine is a superb weapon. It looks a bit gimmicky and flashy, but it's a solid performer. I've shot them quite a bit, and really like the platform. It's very accurate, though due to the light weight, recoil is quite stout, even though it's only chambered in 9mm. Recoil is straight back into the shoulder though, which sacrifices comfort for speed and accuracy- there is almost no muzzle climb. Build quality, reliability and durability is excellent. The magazines exchange with the 92F pistol, which has been the primary US military sidearm since the 80's.

Personally, I'd like to see a carbine/ pistol combo from Glock based on the G21 platform- in .45ACP.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
To respond to the question at hand, I would have to go with a trapper model lever action carbine and a single action revolver in either .357 or .44 mag. No magazines needed to interchange, lose, or damage. I guess it makes a difference as to what you are shooting at too. Before anyone asks, I have carried large frame revolvers concealed, at 5 foot - 6 inches 145 pounds.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by butcherguy]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I’ll wait until the SHTF, and then go shopping. You can bet that all inventories will be marked down, and there will be no shortage of black-market "fire sales."

Se habla español!

[edit on 30-12-2009 by seasoul]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join