It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Lions Suddenly Abandon Their Pier 39 Post after 20 years

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
huggs

this is heart breaking....

I hope its for a good reason they did..

huggs everyone...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Dometheus]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I will admit, this has me very curious. What concerns me is first it was the Bees, and now these Sea Lions.

I read where it appears that the Bees are coming back to a degree, there's still no explaination as to where they went seemingly 'overnight', much like these Sea Lions. Just 'Poof' Gone!

Will the Sea Lions come back? Did the simply just migrate somewhere else? Don't know.

What I do know is the thing we need to be paying attention to is the sudden 'overnight' disappearence of any species with no clues or explaination of where they went or why.

Something is definately going on, something we're only begining to even suspect. What that is I have no idea, but I will say it's not a good thing I'm sure.

I'm not panicing or trying to start a panic or yelling the sky is falling by any means.

All I'm saying is we should all be paying more attention to the world around us and keeping a close watch on things like this cause there's no telling where it could lead and how it could affect us all.

S&F - Watching and waiting to see what happens next.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Mystery Solved????????

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RecentlyAwaken

do you know how far away this was...
and how small the earthquake was that everyone seems to be in a tuft about?! lol
this is no cause...
though it could be as innocent as what caused them to migrate to pier 39 to begin with, as previous stated.

ill be on the lookout for any big earthquakes and tsunamis, but a small earthquake 100s of miles away is not likely going to affect the sea lions up in san francisco.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The sudden disappearance of Californian Sea Lions from Crescent City California right before the Tsunami of 1964 was triggered by the Anchorage Alaska earthquake from the day before. Achorage Alaska is hundreds of miles away from Crescent City California.

So, it's not unreasonable to believe that an Earthquake hundreds of miles away could have caused the Californian Sea Lions of Pier 39 to migrate elsewhere, just in case as other Californian Sea Lions have done just that before.

Also, note that the Californian Sea Lions are not disappearing, nor are they becoming an endangered species. Their population is doing fine (unlike the Stellar Sea Lions which aren't). This is just an inexplicable disappearance of one flock of Californian Sea Lions, not a sudden disappearance of all Sea Lions.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

I know it was a 5.8 (or close to it), and it was several miles away. However, I've never been in an earthquake, (I live in Oklahoma), so nothing to compare that to on how it would feel or effect the local wild life.

Just thought it may explain the sudden disappearance since I've read that animals will do weird things just before an earthquake.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well, I drove by Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz this morning, and there weren't any sea lions on their rock. There are usually around 40 or so out there. We're down the coast 85 miles from SF.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xDove007

i wonder why humans aren't perceptive enough to heed these intuitions animals have... sometimes i'll sit and think real hard but that doesn't exactly replicate the ability. there are so many of them and yet we do not have that in common. i know some people have their hair stand up or their knees will swell before the oncoming storm, but it's kinda hard to think about something like evolution. does anyone know if primates have the same ability as the other animals? i'm not specifically recalling the gorillas running out of the jungle with the rest. just curious.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
With the west coast being a safe haven for sea lions for so long I bet the Great White shark population has grown due to this ample food source.

Someone needs to do a Great White shark head count off the west coast before claiming its a future earthquake coming.

Maybe the Great White shark is back on the menu for humans.
Yummy!

See the news article below.

news.mongabay.com...

"The researchers were also surprised to find five white sharks in San Francisco bay. The massive sharks swam directly beneath the Golden Gate Bridge where distinct sounds from their acoustic tags were picked up by an acoustic receiver meant to track salmon. The researchers speculate that the sharks were hunting seals and sea lions in the area."

Be careful where you swim now.

The JAWS movie was inspired because a great white shark swam up a fresh water river and ate some people.

[edit on 1-1-2010 by lostinspace]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'm quite sure they're marked or tagged or something.Someone knows where they went.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

The article says November 4, 2009.

Five great whites hunting under the golden gate bridge. Those were the ones they could detect and on accident. There are probably a lot more hunting around there.

The seals were probably reduced significantly by the sharks and mother nature told them to leave or else be brought to an end.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I used to watch the sealions from a bar called louis on pier 39 (back in the old days when software companies flew me to SF)

I was told they came there after the last earthquake?

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myollinir
reply to post by xDove007

i wonder why humans aren't perceptive enough to heed these intuitions animals have... sometimes i'll sit and think real hard but that doesn't exactly replicate the ability. there are so many of them and yet we do not have that in common. i know some people have their hair stand up or their knees will swell before the oncoming storm, but it's kinda hard to think about something like evolution. does anyone know if primates have the same ability as the other animals? i'm not specifically recalling the gorillas running out of the jungle with the rest. just curious.

Mostly because we have removed ourselves from nature and now follow technology. Good or bad I don't know, but we are no longer evolving to understand and learn living in nature. If a cataclysm happens many will die due to ignorance of nature and how to simply eat.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm certain as you have seen here in this thread, that many could come up with dozens of reasons for these Animals leaving their home.

However I will say this, for a long time, many people, Scientists included, have noticed out of the normal behavior of Animals just before Earthquakes, and other major Natural events, even with all the excuses given as to why they have left, what harm can it possibly do for the people of San Francisco, to be a little more alert to the possibility that this could be one of those times when the Animals know and Humans refuse to accept the possibility they are in tune with their Natural Surroundings?

It will do no harm whatsoever if you prepare just in case, create a plan to meet with friends and relatives for after a major quake, make your plans taking into account things like phones and other communication will not work, talk to your Children and make sure they are aware of the possibility and what to do.

I know you cant alter your life just because some Animals decided to leave, but it sounds like a indication of something, in a place where an earthquake is to be expected, they would be used to the everyday quakes the area suffers from, for them to just up and leave IMO is one of the events involving Animals we Humans should take notice of a lot more than we do.

Even with all the possibilities posted above me, again what harm does it do to just be a little more careful and aware? not taking steps will do a lot more damage, but most of all do what you can to keep safe and well, and be ready to react.

I am not trying to scare anyone, I am however saying, you live there, you know what the normal events are every day, and the usual quakes, just stop every now and then, and watch how the creatures around you are acting.

Be safe.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Do we know if any of these creatures were tagged with radio transmitters or such? Hopefully they were; and they will turn up in the vicinity soon.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ive worked on pier 39 for the past 4 years and I am pretty sure the sea lions leave once a year. I walk past them every time I go to work and every year around winter their not there. There actually are about 10 of them that are there when they want to be right now but I don"t find it unusual at all, they all usually come back around the summer. just my first hand observation

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The missing sea lions were discovered recently in Washington State. While this does not explain why thousands of sea lions would leave behind their normal feeding grounds, it was reported as of yesterday on NPR that the missing sea lions were located in huge numbers in Washington State. Anyone wanting to read the particulars or specifically where they are can Google to find the particulars to this sea lion relocation.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Or, it seems they all headed to the Oregon Caves...
Yummy Anchovies...

KATU

Fox

Bottom line: they are still around the west coast... nothing to worry about.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The sea lions recently disapeared and then came back to the coast of oregon. Water conditions are a bit different this year, and the salmon population is way up. Im guessing they are simply chasing the food.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join