It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Lions Suddenly Abandon Their Pier 39 Post after 20 years

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The sea lions at San Francisco's Pier 39 have disappeared...the first time in 20 years. I have included the link for the whole story from Wired News

www.wired.com...

The story says "nothing to worry about"...but c'mon...they don't know where they went and they are suddenly gone after 20 years of populating the area!

Maybe they are sensing something (earh quake, pole shift??) we don't???

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
"all of a sudden" huh?

All I know is that animals sense things way before us, humans, do.

Wonder what they sense if that's the case? Earthquake, perhaps?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Could it have anything to do with the recent "Sonic Boom" sounds off the coast of CA? I would be pissed... and I would be OUT!~

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Aren't these the same Sea Lions that have caused a huge debate in the town for years?

If they are the same Sea Lions then someone found a way to get rid of them... The same someone who's been trying for years.

Let me look back and see if I can find the article and the post here and see if they're the same one.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
jumanji lol no seriously though this is def sus especially after the whales being stranded on the beaches

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by enca78

I don't think this is "Def sus."

As I mentioned on the cetacean (whale) stranding threads, unfortunately whale strandings and beachings are fairly common. There was nothing strange about that stranding, really.

And in this case, population relocations happen in the animal world. It may be due to weather patterns, to increased sound and light pollution, who knows. It may have to do with their food source, which is the most likely explanation. Weather changes create changes in food sources which can relocate. It happened where I live this past summer, the weather was a bit different so the currents moved, the plankton moved and therefore the whales moved.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wiseone11

Could be due to an increased number of sharks.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Oh, this is important too.

On the other hand, fishermen and others who work the waters of the Port of San Francisco have far less friendly relations with the animals. One recently told a local radio station, “They’re cute when they’re in here lying on the docks by Pier 39, but they’re not too cute out in the ocean when they’re stealing your livelihood.”

www.wired.com...

So you all know it's illegal to touch or harm a marine mammal, technically. You're really not supposed to touch them unless it's a specific controlled environment with certified wildlife people around, and you're not supposed to harm them ever. But these guys are pests to fisherman. Most pinnipeds are, including seals. So they get on the boats and they eat the bait and tangle the lines and fisherman get angry.

And some fisherman shoot pinnipeds. We found a gray seal a couple months ago that had a bullet wound in it's skull. It happens. It's completely illegal but it's difficult to find the fisherman who did it and it's just bad.

I'm not saying this happened here. It may have, and it may have scared the population enough to make them relocate. But unfortunately that wouldn't be really uncommon either.

Shooting marine mammals is illegal and subject to a fine of $20,000 and a year in jail for a first offense. If it is an endangered marine mammal, tack on another $50,000, another year in jail, and up to a $25,000 civil penalty, depending.

And it's really messed up. Fisherman are encouraged to contact their local wildlife facilities and any marine mammal stranding or rehabilitation center if they are concerned about the marine mammals in their area.

Or for goodness' sake if you have a problem with a marine mammal population and you happen to be reading this, please send me a U2U and I can forward it on.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Curious.

The other two major population centers for Sea Lions is Crescent City in Northern California and Florence in Oregon. I'm going to contact the Aquariums there to see if they have had a decrease or increase in resident Sea Lion population recently.

I know when the Anchorage Earthquake of March 27, 1964 happened, much of the aquatic life off the coastline of Northern California quickly migrated away right before the devastating Tsunami hit Northern California the very next day.

However, it might just be that the food supply or the water temperature of S.F. Bay is not enough for them, and they've moved on to colder climes or more plentiful bays to the north.

Honestly, Sea Lions are noisy, smelly beasts. S.F. has enough noisy and smelly beasts riding BART. They aren't going to miss the Sea Lions.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Honestly, Sea Lions are noisy, smelly beasts. S.F. has enough noisy and smelly beasts riding BART. They aren't going to miss the Sea Lions.

Unfortunately, as you know, sea lions are coastal and it is likely that they may have to face competition wherever they relocate to.

You make a good point, though. Cooler waters have much more life in them. More organisms for marine mammals to feed on. The waters closer to the equator are nearly clear blue because they are empty. Not many little critters floating around that form the food sources for larger organisms that pinnipeds feed on.

Has it been an unusually warm year in SF? That might have something to do with it. Let us know what the aquariums have to say. I know in Maine we've seen our marine mammals a bit farther north this past year due to a relocation of food sources, it seems.

I also know that the marine mammals have some increasing issues recently with Greenland sharks over here. Perhaps the Pacific sleeper sharks over there are causing similar problems, they are very similar.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I read in the article that they have noticed a change in the population of seal island...the logical place for them to go...so it is a mystery...they have been trying to get rid of them for a long time, but nothing worked...

Something is afoot in SF?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
edit my previous post...they have NOT noticed a change in seal island population...making the disappearance even more mysterious.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wiseone11

I actually think it might be more mysterious to see both populations relocating at once. Populations are individual units, they have different environments and conditions, and it is more likely that the different populations react differently based on their areas.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
California Sea Lions do have a range of 169+ miles that they patrol for food. They have been known to go pretty far upstream in search of spawning salmon (although this is the wrong time of the year for that). They have been found hundreds of miles inland before. They don't just go out to sea like other species of Sea Lions.

California Sea Lions have also grown quite close to humans. They aren't intimidated by human populations and have grown almost co-dependent upon humans, resorting more towards scavenging than hunting as they traditionally have done. They have lived these past hundred years in an almost symbiotic relationship with humans, as human Wharfs and Bays are generally safe from their natural predators (Orcas and White Sharks), and humans don't generally hunt them but live and let live (after all, Sea Lions are reminiscent of dogs...human's best-friends).

So, it would be unusual indeed for them to leave the safety of an Estuary, Wharf, Bay, or human population center. If they do such, then they will migrate to another Estuary, Wharf, Bay, or human population center. Unlike other types of pinnipeds they won't venture very far out to sea.

However, as the U.S. Navy has been training and using Californian Sea Lions to protect it's ships in the Mediterranean and the Red Sea, perhaps the demands to increase the number of Troops to be stationed in the Near East has included an proportionate increase of Californian Sea Lions too. Their disappearance may be the work of the U.S. Military, attempting to meet increased recruitment demands.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
That is very weird. well here is a link from from sfgate.com talking about the seals www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2009/12/29/BAK81BAHH6.DTL

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2009/12/29/BAK81BAHH6.DTL

[edit on 29-12-2009 by othehitmans]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Omg they have disappeared for the first time in ...... oh wait, 20 years ??

why do people think this is an indicator of some grand disaster, was there a disaster 20 years ago ??? maybe this is just part of a larger cycle of their lives. Lots of species migrate, or plain pick up and move.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

why do people think this is an indicator of some grand disaster, was there a disaster 20 years ago ???

Actually yes.

Some people believe they appeared about the same time as the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by craig732

This could very well be a precursor to a larger earthquake in the area and its on the heals of a nice 5.8 mag not far from there.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

LOL i can see it now. Their own uniforms and badges...

Thats why they developed metal storm..... weapons for undewater use by seals.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Didn't they leave their previous post 20 years ago when they moved to pier 39?

Was the post they abandoned 20 years ago destroyed by some huge disaster?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join