It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China executes Briton over Drugs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Im sorry , but I cannot accept that people are angry about this ? The man broke the law of China. He ought to be punished according to the laws of that land. Now I am not saying I agree with the moral implications of the application of the Chinese law in this case, but you have to admit that China has the right to enact justice as laid down by its own law.
Here in britain to much leeway is given to criminals who commit crime whilst "not balanced in thier minds" or some pop psychology bull like that, and they get years off thier scentences or get a comparitively humane hospital to go to , rather than the usual doghouse (jail). This is bogus.
If a man is mentaly ill , and he kills people as an outworking of that, he still ought to face the fullest extent of justice , just for everyone elses safety . I completely understand the ideal behind Chinas desicion , and Im afraid that the only reason most of us western folk dont, is because we are used to gutless legal systems that offer too much compassion to the criminal , and not enough justice to the aggreived.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I agree.
Boycott China.
To those so sure that this guy was a knowing big time drug smuggler, what is your cast iron inside information? Because the facts are disputed. And according to the UK government itself, he was refused a proper mental health assessment. That and China's miserable human rights record at least casts some doubt over the affair.
Plus can you really fail to see the bigger picture? China is the country with clout these days. China is the rising super power. It's over 50 years since a European was executed in China. This is not about a country's self determination, this is China flexing it's muscles. If you can't see it, you may as well go back to following celebrities on TV.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0
reply to post by blupblup

Assumptions are what we have to deal with as we will never have access to the facts and if we did there's no guarantee we aren't being lied to. But my assumptions are based on sound fact - Chinese law states that the death penalty is the only outcome for a prosecuted drug smuggler. British charity reprieve have been fighting this for months, and yet our government only found out within 24 hours of his death?? Come again?

Well I'm not saying that his death wasn't inevitable, just the time/date of it.
To only tell him, his family and "perhaps" the government, 24 hours before his death is just out of order.... to be expected from China, but to us (slightly) more civilised nations, totally unethical.

Anyway, we obviously both find his death very troubling so i don't see any point in arguing about stuff that neither of us are sure about.
Maybe the British government knew... maybe they didn't, maybe they could have done more, maybe they couldn't... we just don't know.

What can you do against a bullying superpower with the most appalling human rights record on the planet?

Suggestions on the back of a postcard.

[edit on 29/12/09 by blupblup]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
China and the US are very similar when it comes to their systems of Justice. The only difference being that China operates in a way to minimize costs, while the US operates in a way to maximize profits for all those involved at every step.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Britain is afraid of China, that is why nothing will ever get done about it.

I think the guy should have been jailed, not killed.

Although the world is a random place, it disgusts me. All we can do is look on the bright side of life (*whistles Life of Brian*)

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

i think we've found the winner. i'd go even a step further and say not only did briton know about it but that they refused to pay the already low ransom offered by china.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Let put some corrections to this unbelievable shocking of events.

The British Government knew well in advance two weeks before this man as about to be executed. They had been in touch negotiating privately with the Chinease Authorities before this came to light in he media.

Godron Brown wrote to the President of China, and then to the Prime minister of China, asking for clemensy and due process, since there was no medical report on this suspect menal state.

It as only yesterday a human rights group, managed to obtain, reports on the suspects mental, health, tried to pass it on to Chinease Officials, who refused to ackowledge it.

The chinese ambassador was summoned, right after the story broke, and after the execution.

This is from the major news websites.

Anyone can read it up.

What gets me the most, why is the peole invoved in sending him to China, not being hunted down. They let an innocent mentally ill man be executed. They was no due process with this gentlmans trial, no mental health reports. China does not care, what outside Governmens think, when it comes to thier Justice system.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
China didn't care about his mental state. They wanted to set an example and send a message to any other forigners that might smuggle drugs into thier land.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If I may Correct, my earlier comment:

The UK Government have supposingly known for two years about this case, and has made representations to the Chinease Government supposingly over this issue. Reported live on TV News channel.. Weither it is true or not, wellwe will never know shall we?

If the Chinease implemented the appeals system two years ago, to the death penalty, and The british government knew? After this case had been going on for over two years, thenwhy did they not use the chinease appeal system?

Also I want to point out, none of his family were allowed to see him before he was, executed. Nor will his familybe allowed to give the gentlemen a funeral. China has refused to releae his body.

That initself is horrifc, horrendous, and terrorising for this individuals family. China has llost resepct from alot of UK Citizens today, as a result of this. Mind you not that they care much.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Laurauk]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join