It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China executes Briton over Drugs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

China executes Briton over Drugs

news.bbc.co.uk

A British man convicted of drug smuggling in China has been executed, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

Akmal Shaikh, 53, a father-of-three, of London, had denied any wrongdoing and his family said he was mentally ill.

The execution took place despite repeated calls from his family and the British government for clemency.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he was "appalled and disappointed". But the Chinese Embassy said Mr Shaikh had no previous record of mental illness.

Mr Shaikh's family made continued calls for leniency right up until the execution deadline, citing his mental s
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
To be honest I'm quite shocked by this. I expected him to be spared execution at least until his mental state was assessed.

What this story does highlight is China's barbaric prosecution and execution system.

Why wasn't Mr Shaiks's mental state fully checked by professionals from China and the UK before ending his life?

Maybe it was just a ploy to spare him his life, the point is now we will never know. Once again its too late.

At least he was spared execution by firing squad, if that's even how they do it. The point is the whole thing is shrouded in such secrecy nobody really knows.

Also, they refuse to release the body and instead have already buried Mr Shaikh.

"His body will not be repatriated to the UK, and Mr Lewis said Mr Shaikh had been buried quickly "in accordance with the Muslim faith".

Please read the additional links, they are very interesting regarding China's execution policy.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I'll be looking at the new "body worlds" exhibit posters. They probably use him there.

Thats only half joking.

China has nothing to loose. They have a nearly endless supply of workers
(and exhibit models) and everyone on the planet buys their cheap built garbage.

Really don't hear much about Amnesty Intl., Sierra Club, or Greenpeace going to China to bitch and whine much do ya?

Nah. The are just smart enough to know the SOB's will put a bullet in the back of their heads. I think this is more than likely the case of Mr Shaiks. They can say all they want but the too cheap dirt bags are always going the least expensive route.

The stats say they nail about 1700 (official) folks every year for things as light as tax fraud? Ammo would be 1700x $.05=$85 usd. Not too bad. Ammo is plenty there. How much to spend the time and trouble to juice someone? Nah. Bullets are cheaper.

My philosophy is, don't go to a country of barbarians (i.e. non European) or any country thats more "shady" than your own.
I wont even go to freakin Mexico.

I like most Chinese folk. Little odd, little funny, but nice (usually). CANT STAND THE CHINESE GOVT! Thats a government that is about 60 years too damn old.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I've met people who I would deem to be similar to this man. Bi-polar is a real disorder and shows in spates of up's and down episodes, and often in delusion. While in Poland he was promised a singing career awaited in China followed by riches. To a clearly deluded man, whose song I will post a link to, this opportunity was too great to miss.

The heroin was either planted by those who had duped him into visiting China (most likely scenario) or he realised the deal had fallen through and was desperate to make up some money (stupid, and unlikely imo). For the Chinese government to execute this man without fair trial or appeal should be classified as an international crime of justice... but it won't. We'll forget about this in no time because China are simply too powerful to oppose and our government are too spineless to follow through. This mans only crime was to be his lack of common sense and this small crime exposed two massive failures of governments.

I only hope he's at peace now, and the bastards that ordered, carried out and those who did nothing to prevent his execution (murder) will face their demons in the form of revolt. F**k China, F**k Britain. I'm a citizen of the world, and I've had enough of this BS.

www.youtube.com... this is the song he thought could make him a star. If any professional thinks this man is not delusional they should hand back their PhD. BUT I think this record should be released in protest... anybody with any links to the family who could make this happen?

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Pr0t0]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Listening to that song was disturbing; especially knowing that he has now been executed.

China's current wealth and power stems from us buying their cheap products. I wonder if its too late for us to do anything about this. Even if westerners boycotted Chinese products, there may be enough wealthy Chinese within that country now to keep their economy going.

Its a scary thought that one day their wealth and influence will mean their immoral style of government will be forced upon the whole world.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0
F**k China, F**k Britain. I'm a citizen of the world, and I've had enough of this BS.

I too am a citizen of the world... but i fail to see what "Britain" did wrong in this case?

Could you explain.

The guy found out the night before his execution, that he was to be put to death.
The (UK) Government tried, as soon as they found out, to get the decision overturned... 24 hours (or less) isn't really a long time to be fair.
The Chinese Ambassador was at No.10 (Downing ST.) several times before the execution.

What could have been done?

Start a war on China?

I'm not really sure what your issue is.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
A lot of the blame lays with his family. If he was as disabled as they claim, they should have stopped at nothing to prevent them from traveling, let alone traveling to exotic and at time unsafe regions of the planet such as China. Seriously.

Also, if you read up on bipolar, it doesn't lead to massive cognitive deficit either. I don't think that death penalty should have been applied, but I'm not convinced of his innocence either.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Clearly a vulnerable man who was taken advantage of. I wouldn't be surprised if what China has spouted is a load of crap. His organs have probably been harvested, whilst his body being put in a shallow grave with no Muslim funeral. Bipolar sufferers lose touch with reality, he could of suffered from many more mental illnesses. I know I had a thought for him and his family and upon awakening finding out his execution had been carried through I felt pretty sick. China's human rights, involve death penalty for tax evasion, silenced for political beliefs. So I'm not surprised of this at all

[edit on 29-12-2009 by toshly]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

If you genuinely believe that the British government only found out 24 hours before the time of execution, then sure... but I don't, not for one second. In fact, from the moment he was arrested and the authorities were notified they would have known there was a good possibility that China would consider execution. I'm assuming based on the length of this mans detention the British government will have had a minimum of 18 months to appeal to China.

Flapping their arms and throwing their tie over their shoulder at the 11th hour to make themselves look busy is all they did.

More could have been done in the build up to his trial. More could have been done to ensure proper mental health assessments were carried out. Britain failed this man and his family in this sense. If the outcomes of an assessment flagged that the man was capable and fully aware of his actions and the consequences of them then we cannot lay blame. But as there were no attempts to even evaluate I would say that's a pretty big failing on the part of international relations, and our Chinese ambassadors should resign effective immediately imo. I stand by what I said, and not just regarding this case. Anyone who spent more time this year trying to initiate carbon tax than saving a life, anyone who puts more effort into saving a failed banking system at the expense of the poor, and anyone who agrees with waging wars for profit... this is just another failing in a long long long list of failings by my government.

In my experience the British, and most other governments for that matter, can always do more to see the morally just outcome succeed... and time and time again they let relations, profits and business get in the way. A life is worthless to them as you know yourself from history. They will lie, cheat and steal to look good, but when you unmask their policies it's clear who the winners and losers are.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Pr0t0]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
China should of had a full assessment on his mental health which apparently they never & Britain should of provided evidence of his mental disability's way before. They knew he done the crime but didn't investigate the circumstances, I'm sure they didn't really care either way. China & co may be super powers but their mindset is far from civilized.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by toshly
China & co may be super powers but their mindset is far from civilized.

...but they might have solved the heroin problem. And a bunch of people in the process. Don't you think?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0

If you genuinely believe that the British government only found out 24 hours before the time of execution, then sure... but I don't, not for one second.

I am going on the information provided, not assuming or just making stuff up.
If you have some other info that hasn't been released or know something that the rest of us don't then please share.

In fact, from the moment he was arrested and the authorities were notified they would have known there was a good possibility that China would consider execution. I'm assuming based on the length of this mans detention the British government will have had a minimum of 18 months to appeal to China.

Again... more assumptions.
I don't know whether there were ongoing talks or not... and perhaps the death sentence was a definite possibility.. but the fact that the guy was told the day before, as were his family, that he was to be executed.. is pretty crazy and doesn't leave much time for negotiations and appeals.

Also, no psychiatric tests were done on this guy, yet people (including the UK government) were campaigning for this to happen, had it have happened, then they would have certainly found out he had mental health problems.

I find this quite sad

Under China's criminal code, punishments can be reduced or nullified if criminals are unable to recognise or control their misconduct. But the issue never came up during Shaikh's initial half-hour trial. During his second trial, although judges reportedly laughed at his erratic 50-minute speech, they refused requests by UK consulate-appointed lawyers for a psychological evaluation. By the time this became an issue, Shaikh’ s case may have become too high-profile for the authorities to adjust their stance without looking like they were backing down.

Source

Flapping their arms and throwing their tie over their shoulder at the 11th hour to make themselves look busy is all they did.

As i asked in my last post... what would you have liked them to do?

What could have been done?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Note to self: Never smuggle drugs
Note to self: Never go to China
Note to self: Never smuggle drugs into China

One wonders why there is not some international agency that oversees trials and punishment of people being prosecuted in foreign countries. Can we slap some more sanctions on China please?

Just my 2-cents

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Someone with a lot of money wanted his organs. Plain and simple. That's why they will never get the body. His torso is empty!

We should have never helped the Chiniese as well as many others during WWII.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Two words:

Boycott China.

If the Chinese government wishes for international respect, then the cabal of the Communist Party should act with responsibility. Typical cold blooded totalitarian regime.

One day, one day, China will be democratic.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard
Someone with a lot of money wanted his organs. Plain and simple. That's why they will never get the body. His torso is empty!

I'm not sure how to properly reply to somebody with such a colorful nickname, but I'll try: China already executes so many people they wouldn't bother to mess with Britain just to get this guys kidneys.

We should have never helped the Chiniese as well as many others during WWII.

Right. You are suggesting we should have sided with Hitler. What a thought!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

...but they might have solved the heroin problem. And a bunch of people in the process. Don't you think?

In an uncivilized manner, than yes. Executions for tax evasion, Death Cars, making the family's pay for the bullets, the way they treat opposing political beliefs ... the list goes on, not only china of course. Name a few civilized cultures, countries. Their are some but not many.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

In an uncivilized manner, than yes. Executions for tax evasion, Death Cars, making the family's pay for the bullets, the way they treat opposing political beliefs ... the list goes on, not only china of course. Name a few civilized cultures, countries. Their are some but not many.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Assumptions are what we have to deal with as we will never have access to the facts and if we did there's no guarantee we aren't being lied to. But my assumptions are based on sound fact - Chinese law states that the death penalty is the only outcome for a prosecuted drug smuggler. British charity reprieve have been fighting this for months, and yet our government only found out within 24 hours of his death?? Come again?

It's true that Mr. Shaik knew nothing of his execution until the previous night, but to say that the government had no idea until 24 hours prior is more than a little naive. And, in answer again to your question "what would I want them to do"? Fight for their citizens rights from the moment they are arrested in a foreign country, thats what I want them to do. If there is any element of doubt, as in this case a gaping chasm of doubt, fight for their release fromk the very moment you know their death is a possibility. They are quick enough to make a song and dance when somebody is taken hostage and personally, under the circumstances I don't differentiate widely between these 2 scenarios. This man just wasn't valuable enough to save for some reason he wasn't worth the effort.

Since the Afghan occupation by British and American troops, Opium production is up over 95% in the region and there are stories of growers being protected by coalition soldiers. Who shall we execute for this blatant drug smuggling operation?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well done China for not being bullied by a foreign government, this man chose to play big boys games when he decided to smuggle drugs, so he should have expected to be subjected to big boys rules when he was caught. What if this man had managed to smuggle these drugs into china successfully just ho many hundreds or maybe even thousands could potentially have been killed by them? (especially with the rumored batched of heroin contaminated with anthrax doing the rounds?)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join