It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it better for kids to listen to metal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Does anyone agree that it is better for kids to listen to metal, than listening to pop
or rap music?
My oldest daughter(7)and middle daughter(3) both love metal. My oldest liked Green Jelly(the three little pigs) and now listens to most of what i do. Understand though, that i do not play the vulgar or some of the darker stuff for her.
She likes Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Iced Earth,Thin Lizzy,and a lot of the older bands. She says "these songs are like stories, with guitars, but awesome"

The girls have allready got me to start teaching them to play guitar,and can even
name a few famous guitar players and the bands they are in. besides I grew up listening tometal and i turned out fine.

Id like to hear your thoughts on this, this is my first thread. hope it goes good.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Cerebus0

I think its pretty wicked that they enjoy metal.
Although I grew up on all kinds of music, I don't think the music makes the person.

Is it better to listen to metal?
Well, seeming as MOST metal doesn't involve drugs, gang violence, guns and "smackin' ho's", I think it would be a better choice.
But thats a personal opinion.

I hate rap.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Most metal these days contains less profanity than pop or hip-hop does.

So, yes. Maybe it is better. I listened to metal when I was little!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Its good when kids discover music on their own, away from the mainstream musical diet. It helps them become more individual in other ways as well as musically, and is infinitely better than having them listening to McPop or McHiphop.

I wouldn't say that kids listening to one genre over another is any better or worse. More important that they are taught that the musical horizon is a lot broader than is shown on MTV, then they will have the curiosity and confidence to explore the world of decent music.

new topics

top topics

join