It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China executes suspected mentally ill Briton.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dereks

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
the death penalty is NOT about the victim. it's about revenge.

It is also to stop them committing any more drug dealing

And if they didn't .... Then it'll sure stop them from ever doing it in the near future.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
China should not execute any UK/EU citizen. That is an act of war!

We tolerate this why?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

We are on a slippery path with China as water & resources run short around 2015 onwards, and their population is increasing faster than western populations.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

We tolerate this why?

It's not that it's being tolerated, it's because of the paper tiger image that's projected by all the pacifist nations of the free world.

Today a Brit, tomorrow a Yank.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
mr-lizard,

Kudos to you for not only bringing this barbaric act into focus, but for also having the tenacity to keep up the fight amidst high ignorance and bigotry!

What the haven't-got-a-clue crowd fail to even consider, is the transparency (or rather lack) of the judicial process.

I commend you for trying to inform the ATS members of the actual facts, but I fear that your breath is wasted on most.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Hundreds of people are out to death all over the world every year for drug smuggling and you have never ever made a post about it - why now - oh because this time the perpetrator is British, is white, is Anglo and has put forward a defense of mental instability - PLEASE - are you fcking kidding me.

My, my, don't we look silly,....

Akmal Shaikh, such a very white English name, it's no surprise you got them confused!

Just shows you didn't even read the story properly and knee-jerked your post into the thread while knowing bugger all about the subject matter. Don't worry, you're not the only one. Seems several in this thread have knee-jerked their way into idiocy here.

The story does seem like this guy, at best, was a mule who was tricked into carrying a suitcase, certainly not worth a gunshot to the face. Not quite sure how someone in this thread could equate him with "running a drug smuggling ring", but again, show's they didn't read the story.

Can I suggest we all read the details first, then comment? Might lead to slightly less members looking like total pillocks next time...

[edit on 29/12/09 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

As stumason has already noted, you look quite the fool after launching your voluble ditraibe, and not having even bothered to know what the story is actually about.

What a fool!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by SpinifexPrincess
No offence to anyone, but years ago us Aussies will remember a "high flying entrepeneur" named Alan Bond, who embezzled millions & stashed it somewhere in his old wife & new wife's names. When he was sent off to jail, he suddenly became "mentally ill" & unable to appear in court. When we finally did see him, it was an Academy Award winning performance! We laughed, & he became a joke, his every appearance, looking like a man who had had a stroke, or simmilar.

So because Alan Bond was faking it, this man deserved to die then?

Did I say that? What I said was that I am sick & tired of people who get caught committing crimes in other countries using mental illness as an excuse for what they did. How dare they use a legitimate disease as an excuse to try to get away with a crime, regardless if it is punishable by death. They would have known this fact before they committed the crime, & decided to take the risk anyway.

I feel sorry for the man's family, not for him. He did the crime & the punishment is the death penalty. He's gone, & no longer suffering, but the people he's left behind will be traumatized for the rest of their lives by his actions, & the consequences.

I used Alan Bond as an example of people who fake mental illness to try to get out of a crime they've committed. Nothing more. If you can't see past that, then that's your issue.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

they commit a crime in China, they fall under China's legal system, the same as if a Chinese person commited a crime in the UK/EU falls under UK/EU law

We tolerate this why?

Why not?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dereks

Because his trial lasted 30 minutes, language interpretation facilities were inadequate and no mental health assessment had been carried out ?

Oh, yeah, he could appeal against the sentence but they'd executed him before the appeal could be heard.

Now that's really fair, nicht wahr ? Makes a mockery of the Declaration of Human Rights.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
9 lbs of the drug

he wasnt ill, he was nutts doing it though I agree.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
would it be accurate to say Australians support the death penalty if done abroad, but not if done by Australia?

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
You'd be surprised at the number of Australians that want the death penalty brought back in. Last time is was used was on a bloke named Ronald Ryan & was in 1967 at Pentridge Prison in Melbourne VIC. He supposedly killed a cop & that's why he was hanged.

Meanwhile, we have Martin Bryant, mass murderer of Tasmania, & others, sitting pretty in jail getting law degrees & such, who also don't deserve to live. But they won't have a referrendum on it because they are scared of the answer, & who want's to be the Govt who implements it----its about votes, a popularity contest!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
Oh, yeah, he could appeal against the sentence but they'd executed him before the appeal could be heard.

Wrong again, he made 2 appeals....

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
Well regardless of how you feel about the death penalty, I am SICK and tired of this mentally ill crap defense.

How is it a grown man, or woman can claim to be mentally ill, YET have the presence of mind to set up ellaborate drug running rings with multiple players, plan out murders down to the last detail, etc... I hear this defense a lot, but its funny how mnetally ill people only claim such AFTER their caught...again, how it must be to have the MIND to know you did wrong AFTER the fact...hmmmmmmm

As for this guys case...I am NOT buying his defense. It's called the GOT CAUGHT, think of something quick defense.

I totally agree. People need to be held accountable for their actions. This is the ultimate deterent......you get caught then youre risking your life

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
As ive said before i totally agree with the punishment. He was smuggling drugs that would have ultimatley being pushed onto kids etc. I honestly believe the death penalty should be reintroduced, sex offenders, paedophiles, thieves and also violent anti social people.
You may think im being a bit harsh on theives and those that like to cause trouble fighting? Ine of my mates was stabbed in the back for no reason whatso ever outside a club he has 2 kids. It punctured his lung. This person didnt care or have any consideration for anyone else, nor did his mates as they were kicking him while on the floor.
I say get rid of the bad apples permanently instead of giving them petty sentences. Unsociable people dont deserve anything. As for this bloke thats has been executed? Well i say tough sh*t how many lives could he have potentially ended if he had succeeded?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by enca78

This man has a history of mental illness. It's not something that was being made up as a way out of paying for a crime. He was also known to be a vulnerable individual and it is believed that he was tricked into carrying the bag for someone else without any knowledge of what the contents were.

So vulnerable infact, that he was lured to China with the promise of being made into a pop star despite the fact that he had no singing experience. Yet he believed that it was possible.

Now if all of that is to be believed, which I think it is, then he was exloited by a group of unscrupulous individuals who took advantage of him being easily led and decieved and then executed for it. I believe that to be the case anyway, and if it is all true then it's nothing short of a tradgedy.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
So in your black and white world, everybody is mentally stable then?

I suggest you go and educate yourself on the varieties of mental illnesses that plague the human mind, and try and avoid your cartoon-esque imagery of mental people somehow being incapable of thought.

Interesting. So which aspects of his bipolar disorder excuse his crime, exactly? What do you know about the disorder and his supposed degree of it? What do you know about how it applies to a person's ability to ascertain and understand certain knowledge? I would really like to understand how being bipolar excuses you from blatantly breaking obvious laws.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
dp sorry

[edit on 12/29/09 by Lillydale]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
firefox can be fun. TP sorry

[edit on 12/29/09 by Lillydale]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join