It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where do u think atlanis is.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

I am well aware of the cultural depiction of Athena as a war goddess just as I am well aware of the link between Greece and India, for I am also educated.

But you stated the goddesses were identical...they are not. They merely share similar attributes.

res

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

They are indentical in the sense that they refer to the same goddess. This goddess has been represented differently as per the cultural particularities.

The larger point here is that Athena is a Proto-Indo-European goddess. The Proto-Indo-Europeans are the Indians. In other words the original goddess is Saraswati.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
i`ve always heard it said ...beyond the pillars of Hercules

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The sea floor is the newest addition to the earth...it's growing you know.

Peace

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Atlantis was located in Plato's mind, as a previous poster said. He "created it" in 'Timaeus' and "killed it" in 'Critias' (although we don't know how 'Critias' ends)

The location he gave for Atlantis was well played, according to the time's beliefs and naval practice. According to myth, when Hercules placed the Pillars in the mouth of the Mediterranean, he wrote on them "Μη περαιτερω", 'don't go further'. the Atlantic Ocean was all but "forbidden" ground (sea actually), again according to myth. While educated Athenians paid little respect to such restrictions, common men and women held them in higher regard. Placing a fictional place in a region that one is not supposed to venture into ensures the mystical "effect" and guarantees that nobody, like these wise-a** ATSers, will go looking for it to see if it exists.

If Atlantis was conceived in the 19th century it would most likely be placed in the dark side of the moon, a place so out of reach that it would be impossible, then, to check if the claim was correct (you cannot say it is NOT there, thereby you must admit that it is there
:lol

The only thing that gives Atlantis some credit as a myth (and perhaps even as more than a myth) is that "disturbing" repeat of the letters A-T-L-N, around the Mediterranean and as far as the Caribbean, when describing water related matters/subjects (from water itself to people that supposedly came across large bodies of water). Maybe these repetitions can be attributed to cultural exchanges, linguistic influences, trade relations, the questions remain. How did people on both sides of the Atlantic ended up using the same letters when describing similar things/notions?

I would be in debt if we don't embark on a cruise about the super duper advanced Atlantian civilization (their cities, their ships, their Gods, their technology, their computers, maybe even their Internet or their atomic bombs), if we cannot back our assumptions by some hard evidence let us admit so and say that we are merely SPECULATING - not even theorizing, guessing!!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think Atlantis is a state of mind, listen to some Krs-ONE, Hip-Hop lives that could elaborate what I say alot more.

[edit on 16-1-2010 by SpiritHipHop]

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maegnas
Atlantis was located in Plato's mind, as a previous poster said. He "created it" in 'Timaeus' and "killed it" in 'Critias' (although we don't know how 'Critias' ends)

The location he gave for Atlantis was well played, according to the time's beliefs and naval practice. According to myth, when Hercules placed the Pillars in the mouth of the Mediterranean, he wrote on them "Μη περαιτερω", 'don't go further'. the Atlantic Ocean was all but "forbidden" ground (sea actually), again according to myth. While educated Athenians paid little respect to such restrictions, common men and women held them in higher regard. Placing a fictional place in a region that one is not supposed to venture into ensures the mystical "effect" and guarantees that nobody, like these wise-a** ATSers, will go looking for it to see if it exists.

If Atlantis was conceived in the 19th century it would most likely be placed in the dark side of the moon, a place so out of reach that it would be impossible, then, to check if the claim was correct (you cannot say it is NOT there, thereby you must admit that it is there)

[...]

I would be in debt if we don't embark on a cruise about the super duper advanced Atlantian civilization (their cities, their ships, their Gods, their technology, their computers, maybe even their Internet or their atomic bombs), if we cannot back our assumptions by some hard evidence let us admit so and say that we are merely SPECULATING - not even theorizing, guessing!!

This sums it up perfectly. Thanks.

Pretty much the same conclusion I came to years ago after reading a couple dozen books with convincing arguments for Atlantis being located everywhere from the Mediterranean to off the coast of Britain, the Caribbean, even Antarctica.

The popular pastime of retro-engineering past history and supposedly discovering lost civilizations is interesting and sells books. But too many uninformed people actually take what is written as established fact rather than charming speculative fiction.

We see this now with another fantasy branch of ancient history being blended with astronomy and the quest for the non-existent planet Nibiru.

There is a whole sub-industry of pseudo-scholars cashing in on this interest in a non-existent mysterious past. But one has to be careful when it ventures into the realm of Sci-fi.

M

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
It amazes me that the whole world was known before Columbus. The name of the americas could of very well been Nicknamed Atlantis.

I find it almost frustratingly amusing that people are looking here or there for this great continent that was described as being quite large while glossing over the fact that the americas have been sitting there the whole time.

No one seems to want to accept that what Plato was referring to was the Americas. But to each his own.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

This is the single biggest misconception of the Atlantis legend.
Plato did not invent the story, he preserved it. Initially, the story was preserved in Egypt that records the founding of Egypt as 8000 years prior to 570.bC and Attica at 9000 years prior.

Solon brought the legend back to Athens ca.570-564.bC.

The timetable is thus;

Egyptian Priest of Pharaoh Amasis II = Uadjahor Resne-570.bC
Solon - Athenean statesman brings Atlantis to Greece - 565.bC
Dropides (Critias I's father) receives a copy from Solon.
Critias I (90yoa) tells his nephew Critias II (10yoa) and gives him a copy.
Critias II ca.420.bC, orates the legend at the amphitheatre. He also has the original from Dropides to study.
Plato ca.360.bC preserves the Timaeus and Critias dialogues.

Chalcidius, a latin scribe, possibly St.Augustine, preserves the Timaeus ca350.aD.

Hesiod ca.750.bC mentions Atlas
Hellanicus ca.470.bC mentions Atlantides.
Herodotus ca.440.bC writes about the Atlantes and Ataranteans around Lake Tritonis and Mt.Atlas.

As you can clearly see, Plato did not invent the legend, however, the Critias dialogue was a "reformed" legend of vivid detail to compliment the audience of that time ca.420.bC. Critias stated in the Timaeus that he would bring the ancients of yesterday and conform them with the modern times, hence triremes, chariots etc.

There is also evidence that Plato may have hidden a secret message about the betrayal by the italian Dionysios with the east. Plato was apparently imprisoned in Syracuse at the time of his writing ca.360.bC.

The 9000 and 8000 years are easily understood if you realize that they were speaking in generations as stated in the dialogues which would place Atlantis around the Egyptian Double Falcon era ca 3250-3500.bC.

I place the original Atlantis at the Josephine/Torre seamount some 400 miles before the straites of Gibraltar.

Atlantis was once a large island some 2000 by 1000 miles in area that you can see in my maps that would have also included the canaries,Azores and Cape Verde islands.

The opposite continent was America from Atlantis Island.

In that era, America or S.America would have been too far away to control Europe upto Italy and Libya upto Egypt.

The era of Atlantis in The Double Falcon Era coincides with the key evidence of it's destruction as the third greatest disaster before that of Deukalion's flood ca1520.bC which was possibly the biblical flood ca3250.bC and not 2350.bC. This also coincides with the worship of Hathor the bull goddess who flooded Egypt in the Legend of the Destruction of Mankind. Hathor is also equated with the nile flood.

Plato preserved the legend.

sites.google.com...

Here's an image of a greek cyclade islands relic of a stone map of Atlantis ca2850.bC, surrounded by 5 mountains.

edit; date correction for critias

[edit on 28-1-2010 by AeJor_Mn]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Of all the Theories pertaining to the Location of the Mythical Island Continent of Atlantis I have come across , the one stating that Atlantis was possibly located near the present day Azov Sea near Crimea is IMO the best guess .

i297.photobucket.com...

i297.photobucket.com...

[edit on 28-1-2010 by Zanti Misfit]

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Zanti;

I would advise until proven otherwise, that we should take Plato's writings for their face value.

Even though some translations may differ slightly, they all maintain the same theory of Atlantis in the Atlantic Ocean and before the straits of Gibraltar. Platonis Opera, Bury, Jowett, Lee, Chalcidius, Lamb, etc, all maintain the same basic story.

I am familiar with EagleWinds Sea of Azov theory which clearly goes against Plato's works as did also Robert Sarmast with Cyprus, or Cedric.R.Leonard and his Black Sea Colchis theory.

The pillars of hercules were well known in the times of Solon and even Anacreon the wine loving poet wrote "east to bactria and west to gades" ca.570.bC around the time Solon heard the legend in Egypt.

Atlantis was also a tropical to sub-tropical paradise that existed within the last 12,000 years. Azov would have been too cold to afford the flora and fauna as described in the legend.

Plus Atlantis controlled Europe upto Tyrrhenia and Libya upto Egypt as a clear indication of it's western origins, not that we should go changing those names around the black or Euxine Sea as it was known in antiquity.

Which is another strong point that those wise scholars also knew the names of the seas of which the Euxine or Black Sea was not mentioned.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join