It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Machine Translates Thoughts into Speech in Real Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

By implanting an electrode into the brain of a person with locked-in syndrome, scientists have demonstrated how to wirelessly transmit neural signals to a speech synthesizer. The "thought-to-speech" process takes about 50 milliseconds - the same amount of time for a non-paralyzed, neurologically intact person to speak their thoughts. The study marks the first successful demonstration of a permanently installed, wireless implant for real-time control of an external device.

“The results of our study show that a brain-machine interface (BMI) user can control sound output directly, rather than having to use a (relatively slow) typing process,” Guenther told PhysOrg.com.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/760b277e9c75.jpg[/atsimg]

Model of the brain-machine interface for real-time synthetic speech production. The stroke-induced lesion (red X) disables speech output, but speech motor planning in the cerebral cortex remains intact. Signals collected from an electrode in the speech motor cortex are amplified and sent wirelessly across the scalp as FM radio signals. The Neuralynx System amplifies, converts, and sorts the signals. The neural decoder then translates the signals into speech commands for the speech synthesizer.

www.physorg.com...

Really great stuff here. . . imagine the possibilities of technology like this. I would be willing to bet we see more and more tech used for thought to function machines. . .

[edit on 28-12-2009 by constantwonder]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
50ms?

My thoughts go directly from my brain to my mouth with no delay at all.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
wow. i can imagine the implantable cell phone will be out in the next 10 years.

Can't wait for my nueral implant surgery!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
maybe stephen hawking can communicate with this.

instead of his monotone robotic one.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by platipus]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
wow, who would want this?!?!? Our thoughts are us, our mind is our inderviduality. We, i thought, was fighting for our rights back, constitutual or human. Having private thoughts is part of those rights.

If in 30 years time everyone has this, say goodbye to art and radicles, for they would not be aloud to walk the streets.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Ha! I guess we better watch what we are thinking (I personally would get slapped by most of the attractive women I meet -- or perhaps not
).

That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?"

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

This reminds me of Remote Viewing what Ingo Swann said about the fact that he could read minds scared the PTB to death, he said there are not secrets and more than likely the reason the program was disbanded, which I highly doubt, sure it went underground again, why wouldn't they use something that worked.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

they do not need microchips, and electrodes. They have been taking all my thoughts since 1992, when i was at school.

they tell you things like this just to keep the masses away from how far things are.

new topics

top topics

join