It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How often do you meditate?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

To be fair you did say you listened to music, watched a documentary and had a smoke when you "meditated"... when told this wasn't meditating, you then decided that fishing was your form of meditation and then now act as though this is your preferred form of meditating.... you're just plucking activities you do, at random, and calling it meditation.

All a bit strange really.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Once a day, for about an hour. Sitting on top a pillow in the lotus position. Yeah listen to music sometimes if it's too noisy outside, once you get into a deep enough state you can't hear the music anymore anyways, it all gets blocked out. Music is fine for meditation I personally believe, if you're doing it right the music is non-existent after awhile...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Thanks unity, sorry I took so long to acknowledge your post, I actually forgot I posted in here

I will be sure to check those out
i'm pretty sure i've had a brief look at . binaurals before.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Your welcome.
Well, the binaurals are usually the longer ones, like the bach to the future, except for the ones on youtube, that are often mixed in with dolphin or whale sounds, and also there are some good ones. Theta and alpha usually need to be in a position of lying down or in meditative lotus, etc. I prefer lying down, cant relax in the other position, unless I'm outside on the grass, grounding in that physical way, in which case it feels right at times. I do this intuitively and related to my energy.

But, the dolphin and whales, and shorter ones, are great for seated at the computer, some you will want to close eyes, others you dont need to. And some of them you can listen to along with songs or music that has frequencies, such as Era, Gregorian, Vangelis, Constance Demby, while doing chores, ie. dishes. or things you would normally be in zen mind or kind of mindless repetitive state. And that is also meditation.

Strangely enough, dishes, water, showers, baths are often time of connection to inner self, higher self, guides. Water.

The thing is, that is why the comment about how listening to music, and doing things, and having a smoke is not meditation. It can be meditative for some, it can achieve just as much information that some take deep meditations seated or lying to achieve, it can connect you to time line possibilities, currents, of reality, insight into yourself, past life recall, memories that you may have buried related to a craft you saw, any number of things can come up, in that moment listening to even music with frequencies, doing something routine or where you are in a state of mindlessness.

There is not one way. Doing all of them is great.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The sience of Meditating.

People in the diferent modes of nature like Goodnees (Satva) Passion (Rajas) and (Ignorance Tamas) can achieve a high meditation stage.
In Satva guna it is ofcourse easyer because there is from nature the tendency to control its eating, mind and speach. In diferent traditions is always self control a predominant esence in the subject of meditation.
Is there somebody that likes to enjoy the fruits of meditation like bliss but he is in Rajas or Tamas it is dificult but not imposible actualy if you think on God all the time thats the most advanced meditation of all, even when you dwell in Tama. Thats the conclusion of the Vedic spiritual knowledge in this subject as teached by the Vaishnava traditions. Other traditions like Budhism may disagree.
To be vegetarian always or for long periods helps a lot. If you think to leave the meat is impossible it is not. Once I lived in Argentina for like 6 years and there one always eats meat, there is a steak also on brakfest!
I became Vegetarian without a problem to quit cigar is alot more dificult.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
If meditation is merely thinking on one idea, I do this constantly. Peoples thoughts on what meditation are vary to a large degree. I have never tried, and think it very foolish, to stop ones mind. That's not how the mind works, as far as I can tell.

I can be walking around, listening to music via headphones, and still be lost in thoughts centering around one idea. I'll both be unaware of the world around me, and yet instinctually integrate effortlessly. It's my natural mode of being. This is my personal meditation.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

To be fair you did say you listened to music, watched a documentary and had a smoke when you "meditated"... when told this wasn't meditating, you then decided that fishing was your form of meditation and then now act as though this is your preferred form of meditating.... you're just plucking activities you do, at random, and calling it meditation.

All a bit strange really.

Fair? Yes I stated that I listen to music, watch a documentary and had a smoke when "I" meditated. Since when did any soul need to be TOLD how to meditate?

I did not decide that fishing was my form of meditation nor am I now presently acting as if Fishing is my preferred form of meditating. No I am not just plucking activities I do at random and calling them meditation.

Looks like you got me completely wrong. I think this thread lacks intelligent empaths.

I take it you have never fished by a peaceful riverside in the middle of nowhere surrounded by wilderness and wild animals for hours? I bet you $1,000 that it is a hell of a lot better than sitting on a wooden or concrete floor humming weird sounds in an urban city, filled with geomancy that repels your positive energy source while clicking "play" on a Wikipedia Binaural beat.

I tell you what, since a member posted about Binaural Beats, watch my video on Binaural Beats and re-educate yourself:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

If the activity can facilitate shutting of your mind then it can be meditation. However if it does the converse, and stimulates the mind, then it is not meditation.

Your consciousness will only start to go into deeper states when your mind starts to turn of. Yoga defines meditation as, "The act of ceasing thought-waves" In the act of meditation you are bringing your thought activity down. At other times, you are increasing your thought-waves and the more activities you engage in the more your thought wave activity increases. This is why meditation is a formal practice done to bring your thought waves down.
It is done in silence, usually in isolation, to reduce the influence of external stimulus.

Creative visualization is daydreaming not meditation. Meditation is not daydreaming. If what you are doing is basically playing in the playground of your mind creating scenorios, bouncing from one one thought to the other it is exactly what expert texts on meditation(Yoga Sutras etc) advise you NOT to do. You are not suppose to go with your thoughts, you are suppose to let them go and stay focussed either on maintaining a passive state of detachment or on your object of concentration.

As I said earlier people tend to pass off everything as meditation now days. If everything is meditation then nothing is meditation.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child

As I said earlier people tend to pass off everything as meditation now days. If everything is meditation then nothing is meditation.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

And you are???? (I am an Indigo Child too, it doesn't mean your correct)

You are an individual, you have your own opinion. What you believe or what you read to be meditation or see on TV as meditation is not the ONLY way of meditating.

You are talking as if you invented meditation

I am not some stupid monkey boy who knows nothing, I may know more about this subject than you think. Just because you believe it too be true, does not mean that it is. What you see on TV as meditation is new age propaganda.

Yes, we are entering a "New Aeon/Age", but the stereotype "new-ager" is what I am referring too.

Don't be so quick to judge people or their means of connecting to the ether and regenerating their positive vibrational frequencies.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

that video is awesome. i like the end paragraphs because i kinda feel like i DO sleep too much and ill just keep going. this intrigues me intensely and i think i'm going to try and locate a radio... just to tickle my curiosity.

and i'm not sure who gets the right to define what 'meditation' really is... but we have our words laid out in dictionaries and they don't state these hardcore blackout mindstates.. try looking up in the sky and getting lost in that once, feeling that we're all part of this intense mystery that we are constantly trying to define. being a part of your own perception in some sort of calming state... slowing down and not worrying... focusing on your awareness and reality... i think thats what meditation is to me.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

Creative visualization is daydreaming not meditation. Meditation is not daydreaming. If what you are doing is basically playing in the playground of your mind creating scenorios, bouncing from one one thought to the other it is exactly what expert texts on meditation(Yoga Sutras etc) advise you NOT to do. You are not suppose to go with your thoughts, you are suppose to let them go and stay focussed either on maintaining a passive state of detachment or on your object of concentration.

When i mean zen mind, or setting intentions, and then letting go and then doing chores with a blank mind, I really do the blank mind, and this is meditative, its also a requirement for most psi and surprisingly psi moments occur then as well, in addition contact can occur, and real memories and even timeline possiblities, stepping right into the currents that occur.

There are no definitions on meditiations like that. You can visualize, affirm, and do anything you wish in meditation, along with deeper moments where you reach moments of stillness. There are many kinds. I've seen meditations for jogging, though I wouldnt want to, walking, couples do tantra.

And I do many kinds myself , longer ones, binaural ones, chakra ones, i adapt whatever I need, freeform ones, they get adapated to what I want, I never follow the techniques of another exactly. Also, when I gave advice, its to broaden the experience and bring in how it isn't one way. That one hour of meditating isn't all there is. Through the various methods, combined, you can spend hours each day in meditative states. And your frequency will raise, your awareness will increase, you may find your memories returning, you may find yourself communing with dolphins and whales or notice you have a team of advisors watching over, the matrix may slip more and more during the day. When your frequency raises, if it gets too high too quickly, you need to learn to ground. Water again, even just picturing grass under your feet, or the feeling of rough bark under your fingers can ground you.

One thing I would never do is tell someone what is meditation and what is not, they will discover that journey through many methods and which ones they prefer and which ones work for themselves. Obviously there are levels of brain waves associated with different stages, and different types of meditation occur with different techniques. Alpha, and theta are not best for dishes. Though sometimes you slip into those states in certain conditions.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Unity_99]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

One thing I would never do is tell someone what is meditation and what is not, they will discover that journey through many methods and which ones they prefer and which ones work for themselves. Obviously there are levels of brain waves associated with different stages, and different types of meditation occur with different techniques. Alpha, and theta are not best for dishes. Though sometimes you slip into those states in certain conditions.

I am unfortunately not a relativist. I am a rationalist and I do have to define things correctly. If you cannot define something precisely and correctly then it leads to confusion. Hence as somebody with a Philosophy and logic background I am very technical with my language.

If there is no definiton of meditation then what is it? Is sittng on the loo meditation? Is playing football meditation? Is having an argument meditation, is watching television meditation? For that which you cannot talk about you should remain silent says Wittgenstein.

To understand what meditation is look at the theory of meditation and the origins of how and why meditation was developed. The earliest evidence of the formal practice of meditation is in Hindu Vedic texts called the Upanishads. The earliest scientific text on meditation is the Yoga Sutras which has been the standard text of Yoga since.

We already have a good working scientific definition of meditation in the Yoga sutras: "The cessation of thought waves" As you bring down your thought activity your consciousness states begin to alter. The Yoga Sutras is even able to categorise every significant consciousness state change to the final state of Samadhi. As an experienced mediataor I have experienced many of those intermediate states.

Even you agree with the Yoga definition indirectly because you are using the current model of brain-wave changes: beta - alpha - theta - delta. Each state corresponds to gradually reducing thought activity. Thus this is what meditation IS. We have a working definition.

You are confusing types of meditation with the process of meditation. The Yoga Sutra gives various types of meditation, and it is not a comprehensive list by miles, in fact the Yoga sutras say that any object can be used for meditation. As a scientific text it speaks in terms of "objects of concentration" without endorsing any particular type of object. Although it does have a special place for the AUM sound object due to the powerful vibrations it produces(I can testify to that the vibrations really do take you very deep)

I would encourage anybody who wants to meditate to read the Yogasutras first. In order to understand why you are doing it, how and why it works, the various types you can do, the techniques you can use to enhance your practice, the obstacles you are likely to face, the states of consciousness you will experience(to know how deep you are) how to measure your success, the psychic abilities you will develop, the goal of meditation. The Yogasutra is an excellent guide for meditators, highly recommended by meditators from all around the world for thousands of years. It is written by somebody who has mastered meditation and every psychic ability.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

When i mean zen mind, or setting intentions, and then letting go and then doing chores with a blank mind, I really do the blank mind, and this is meditative, its also a requirement for most psi and surprisingly psi moments occur then as well, in addition contact can occur, and real memories and even timeline possiblities, stepping right into the currents that occur.

This is not meditation, it an activity which is being done in a semi-meditative state. It is not meditation proper, because your mind is still engaged in activity. In the process you are washing your dishes, your senses are engaged in the feeling the touch of the dish and the water, hearing the sound of the water, the rubbing of the dishes and the sounds of the surrounding, seeing the water, dishes and surroundings, the movement of the hands. This actually prevents one going into meditation because the senses are still active.

The state of "Pratyhara" or sense withdrawl is absolutely crucial to going into meditation. This is why formal practice often takes place in silence and in isolation in a single posture. I know myself when I go deep, even the slightest twitch in the body will cause me to lose the state. The more fixed the better. If you maintain this you will enter into very deep states and at some point your senses will shutt of almost completely. You will only hear sounds as if they are a distant echo or as if you are submerged under water.

The formal practice of sitting down or lying down for meditation is meditation proper. Those who are not doing this are not meditating and are probably too lazy to meditate properly. Thus are looking for excuses by redefining meditation as their favourite activity - such as smoking weed. I have no time for these people, I am giving this information to sincere seekers who are prepared to put in the effort of starting and maintaining a formal practice. If you put in the effort you will get the results.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Oh man I'm up to at least twice a day but it depends on how busy I am. I seem to want to do it more and more lately, it's kinda getting out of hand...Oh wait you said meditate didn't you?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_denv

Fair? Yes I stated that I listen to music, watch a documentary and had a smoke when "I" meditated. Since when did any soul need to be TOLD how to meditate?

When they clearly have no idea.
That's what i would have thought anyway.

There is a difference between chilling out, watching TV, to meditating.

But you already know that.

I take it you have never fished by a peaceful riverside in the middle of nowhere surrounded by wilderness and wild animals for hours?

Assume whatever you like.

I bet you $1,000 that it is a hell of a lot better than sitting on a wooden or concrete floor humming weird sounds in an urban city, filled with geomancy that repels your positive energy source while clicking "play" on a Wikipedia Binaural beat.

Can we make it £1000? That's more money and saves me a trip to the Bureau de change...

Why would i sit in front of a PC/laptop to meditate?

I tell you what, since a member posted about Binaural Beats, watch my video on Binaural Beats and re-educate yourself:

Well thanks Mr. Meditation, was awfully kind of you.

Amazing what google can do for you when you have no idea what you're talking about.. it can dig you out of all sorts of holes

Anyway.... I'm off to sort out some drinks for new years eve, er.... i mean meditate...i mean watch TV.... all the same thing though right?

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

But you're not defining it "correctly", as you can do some searches for other forms of "meditation".

In fact, one thing I have to say, and this is just a personal observation. When someone wants to control what they think a right brain activity is, and define it according to a certain tradition a certain group in the world or history has practiced and say this is the only correct way of doing it, I sense a left brain activity going on.

In any case, meditation is all of the above I mentioned, different forms of it, and can be adapted. Basically, its the practice of getting into your right hemisphere and connecting to Source, to Higher Self, and learning about self and your purpose here, and manifesting and intending is also a part of meditation, and is our co-creational abilities. There is no control, there is no distinct definition, and its not a left brain activity, you don't have to play by anyones rules.

I'm even surprised I'm having a converation like this.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by Unity_99]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

And I disagree with you as well. Nwo control can be done through frequencies, and through subliminal. German Scientists did a lot of studies on binaurals, on esotoric subjects, and they found out alot, and consequently TPTB had a lot more tools to use against citizens, to control them.

But the scientists didn't discover a new method of controlling, they were hitting on sound, frequencies, the schuuman, the solfeggio, harmonics, such as dolphins and whales use, the very nature of the universe, they also studied the earth's chakra points, the power points in the grid.

Binaurals are very good for medititation. And dolpin and whale, nature sounds, and singing crystal bowls as well. Frequencies. What binaurals, isotones, and hemisync does is create a more unified left and right brain hemisphere field. The real object to busting the matrix is to access right hemisphere, for the matrix is experienced in this left brain worl. And we are in a real matrix.

Because they studied this, does not mean that this is not helpful. In fact because they used this against citizens makes it clear that this is a very strong tool, for good or bad.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Bach to the Future

This thread has 2 binaurals, one is the same as the title. The Compassion one is 30 minutes, and I had a strong reaction to it, it was so uplifting, this is not one that I can still my mind in for periods of time, ideas just came, visualizing and it always seemed to be about others waking up, unity, meditiation groups forming around the world, non-compliance in the forms of meditation groups with the armies and police dropping their weapons and joining, disclosure. I saw Africa as equal, boys and girls, leaving their wonderful eco earthship homes to go to schooling, 180 year cosmic educations, and enviro friendly flying saucers in their back yards. I was manifesting big thoughts.

I remembered, there were subliminal messages in that, and went back and saved them. Very positive ones. Now I knew from first hand experience how powerful subliminal messages are, they do studies and they get talked about but usually are downplayed. No, they're big in terms of control. I still plan on using audacity to create my own meditational sounds, dolpins/whales, coupled with binaurals and some positive affirmations for some of them.

When I was researching this, how to do it, how to make your own subliminal messages, my internet went off over and over again. I still managed to get the information I needed, plus found some really good videos on using audacity on youtube. Later on, hours later, after forgetting, I posted somewhere about the subliminals and bang, my internet was off again.

There was only two times my internet was kicked off over and over again, no matter what I've posted, and its usually above the radar. When I posted about the geomagnetic pole reversal, and the subliminal messages. Both of these are deep rabbit holes.

But the positive side to it is also very apparent.

Oh, and back to the Nazi's studying all the power points on the Grid. I've been told that all of the exact locations are kept a secret. Though it can be clearly mapped. Was told that to heal this planet and shield it, we would need meditators on all the power points. Well, they feed into each other, only a few of the points with non-stop meditating shifts, are needed.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by Unity_99]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I still find it somewhat amusing that people are still stuck in this left/right brain boxed thinking. I'm a lefty right-brainer. Always see the dancer spinning clockwise to begin with. So technically, I'm in my right mind
, yet I don't interpret meditation the same way you do whatsoever.

The right-brain tends to process simultaneously. Some people seem to get overwhelmed by this and/or find the need to project this type of processing in the belief of a god (the source). Meditation just seems like a type of focusing technique. You point your awareness towards a goal, and let everything else fade out.

This does correlate to specific parts of the brain, but not to any particular belief system. I doubt that most meditative techniques utilize the right brain only. Perhaps advanced practitioners can do this, and do lose a sense of self, but the question is...why? Both are truths. We're here, we're experiencing, but we're also part of the whole. Why deny part of who you are? Seems like a waste to me. I'd rather be in both my brains continuously, integrating the Self with my sense of self. That seems much more valuable, IMO.

BTW, atheists enjoy meditation as well.

[edit on 31-12-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I meditate to get to sleep. The amount is whatever is right for you, and same with the position.

That's my opinion though.

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
How often do you meditate? EVERYDAY I SEEK UNDERSTANDING OF EXISTANCE
How often should a person meditate? AS MUCH AS YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING SO, IT SHOULD BE A RELAXED STATE EVEN WHEN FULLY CONCIOUS AND ACTIVE IN LIFE AND SOCIETY
Is every day of the week necessary?IF YOU FEEL YOU POSSESS THE ENERGY TO LOOK DEEPER INTO EXISTANCE EVERYDAY THEN WHY NOT
In what position do you usually meditate?NO BASIC POSITION FOR ME PERSONALLY BUT SOME MAY NEED TO FIND ONE IN ORDER FOR THE ENERY TO FIND A ENTRANCE PORT JUST THINK DEEPLY AND THE ORA WILL EMBRACE YOU ENTIRLY IF YOU ARE TRUE TO YOURSELF AND THE LORD

Thanks.

I started meditating a month ago and been doing it every day. Starting to wonder if it's too much to meditate every day?IF IT IS DISCOMFORTING YOU THEN MABEY YOU ARE TRYING TO HARD TO PULL TO MUCH ENERGY THRU, INTERNAL PATIENCE ALWAYS HELPS

[edit on 28-12-2009 by sphinx551]

[edit on 12/31/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join