It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Take Important Step Toward 'Fountain of Youth'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Calorie Restriction: Scientists Take Important Step Toward 'Fountain of Youth'
ScienceDaily Dec. 26, 2009

Going back for a second dessert after your holiday meal might not be the best strategy for living a long, cancer-free life say researchers from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. That's because they've shown exactly how restricted calorie diets -- specifically in the form of restricted glucose -- help human cells live longer.

This discovery, published online in The FASEB Journal, could help lead to drugs and treatments that slow human aging and prevent cancer.

www.sciencedaily.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd2b8545ca77.jpg[/atsimg]
Glucose molecular model.

I am in agreement with the scientists, we eat too many foods that are bad for us plus in addition the poisonous additives that is added, I have been on a restricted calorie diet for years, not really a diet but careful what I eat, no meat and stay away from dairy and wheat products for the most part, sure helps with keeping my weight down also.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The abstract can be found here:

Cancer cells metabolize glucose at elevated rates and have a higher sensitivity to glucose reduction. However, the precise molecular mechanisms leading to different responses to glucose restriction between normal and cancer cells are not fully understood. We analyzed normal WI-38 and immortalized WI-38/S fetal lung fibroblasts and found that glucose restriction resulted in growth inhibition and apoptosis in WI-38/S cells, whereas it induced lifespan extension in WI-38 cells. Moreover, in WI-38/S cells glucose restriction decreased expression of hTERT (human telomerase reverse transcriptase) and increased expression of p16INK4a. Opposite effects were found in the gene expression of hTERT and p16 in WI-38 cells in response to glucose restriction. The altered gene expression was partly due to glucose restriction-induced DNA methylation changes and chromatin remodeling of the hTERT and p16 promoters in normal and immortalized WI-38 cells. Furthermore, glucose restriction resulted in altered hTERT and p16 expression in response to epigenetic regulators in WI-38 rather than WI-38/S cells, suggesting that energy stress-induced differential epigenetic regulation may lead to different cellular fates in normal and precancerous cells. Collectively, these results provide new insights into the epigenetic mechanisms of a nutrient control strategy that may contribute to cancer therapy as well as antiaging approaches.—Li, Y., Liu, L., Tollefsbol, T. O. Glucose restriction can extend normal cell lifespan and impair precancerous cell growth through epigenetic control of hTERT and p16 expression.

I stumbled upon this a couple of days ago.

What this study has found is that calorie restriction works through the negative stimulus of glucose. In other words, total caloric content is irrelavent and caloric quality is absolutely important.

Many scientists researching anti-aging have attributed the possitve, life extending effects of semi-starvation diets on the negative stimulus of glucose AND insulin.

The effect was described by Otto Warburg:

Warburg's hypothesis was postulated by the Nobel laureate Otto Heinrich Warburg in 1924.[1] He hypothesized that cancer, malignant growth, and tumor growth are caused by the fact that tumor cells mainly generate energy (as e.g. adenosine triphosphate / ATP) by non-oxidative breakdown of glucose (a process called glycolysis). This is in contrast to "healthy" cells which mainly generate energy from oxidative breakdown of pyruvate. Pyruvate is an end-product of glycolysis, and is oxidized within the mitochondria. Hence, according to Warburg, cancer should be interpreted as a mitochondrial dysfunction. Warburg reported a fundamental difference between normal and cancerous cells to be the ratio of glycolysis to respiration; this observation is also known as the Warburg effect.

"Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes," according to Warburg, "But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar."

This is really nothing new. It was very well understood by biochemists and researchers, and by observations gathered for the past 70 years. Glucose is a dangerous thing.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Thank you Dev, I have also been aware of this information for quite some time, the reason I have changed my diet over the years, the fact is most do not pay attention, they do what they want to do, some think that it's natural to die of cancer, it is not natural to die of any disease. If you want to live longer what is the point unless you are healthy.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'd rather eat happily, sorry.

Why suffer by giving up all of the food you love to eat?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
....because you'll suffer if you eat the foods you love to eat.

....because you'll end up 20 pounds overweight by the time your 40

....because you'll end up with diabetes eventually

....because you'll end up with alzheimers eventually

....because you'll only be alive because of expensive prescription drugs/'medical procedures

How much do you really love those foods?

Oh....here's a better question....Do you think consuming those fods will cause a physical and mental addiction, much like a drug, to make you "love" them?

-Dev

[edit on 28-12-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Okay, stupid question probably, but does this, "we are all better off without sugar/glucose" talk, include dark chocolates?

I have to have something.

I've heard dark chocolates are good for you. Maybe the health aspect overrides the sugar aspect?

Opinions?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

You can have dark chocolate, everything in moderation, the problem arises when you eat all the wrong things on a daily basis.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'll move to India tomorrow or better yet how about Ethiopia?

'life extending effects of semi-starvation diets' yah, right.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Eating sugar or chocolate would be ok, and even beneficial after a workout.

If you're just lazily lounging around the house, I would stick to a dark chocolate with a high amount of cocoa. Problem is, cocoa is bitter.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
"As a man thinketh.."

Cancers little enemy... but also it's best friend.

Some hypochondriacs also happen to fall susceptible to many ailments, 'cause they worry themselves into a nightmare.. BLAH!

Eating healthy is great and all, but i think fasting might be more potent, and B17, along with aforementioned low cal/glucose diet. City air don't help, i've been coughing up black sh*t for a while now.

There's a question that's been in the back of my mind for a while now, that's if there are "algorithmic" symbols being used to trigger certain cancer causing habits in people.. athrophy the third eye, close the third eye.. eat a donut, eat a donut... BACON... kill your family.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by thaknobodi]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by wookiee

Well, you enjoy that Diabetes induced fit of rage when you smack some one around for no reason and suffer from erectile dysfunction and can't get made love to from that nice sexy pouch hanging bellow your belly button...

This is the truest stuff you'll ever see on Ats and people will still argue about it...

[edit on 28-12-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Yes!

Seriously, even though I don't need to lose weight, actually could stand to gain another few pounds, I do eat Way too much sugar.

BUT. Now I am trying to do better. Sent all the deserts home with the guests after Christmas dinner party.

[edit on 12/28/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

lol I just give up on Holidays, you can get away with "special days" if your good most of the time...

But damn I have to do some running after the 1st

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

We all need to do more running mo. I don't like that either. I hate to exercise.

Other than my work and seeing my friends, I just want to sit on ATS while heaping big forks-full of pecan pie with ice cream into my mouth. lol.
Or gourmet lemon squares. Which I sent home with my friends.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Can someone explain what this diet actually consists of?

What food, calories etc....

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
"The Live Long List"

Pure water (first thing in the morning especially)
Rice (brown)
Beans (NOT BAKED or CANNED)
Veggies (Limit carrot juice)
Fruits (Limit juice)
Spices

Eggs, cheese and whole grain bread should be included sparingly. Don't fry you're foods to the point of burning them. Frying in of itself is not harmful, it is the carcinogens created when sizzled to a dark brown or black.

Spice you're dishes (find online using above ingredients as a reference) as much as you like. Hot foods aid the colon. The reason to avoid fruit juice is the amount of sugar whereas the whole fruit contains a filling portion and some fiber. If you need meat in you're diet, baked poultry or fish is a healthier choice than say, bacon or ham.

Eat breakfast and try not to eat after 7:00 P.M. That alone makes a big difference! Keep it around 6 small meals a day...a large piece of fruit or small bowl of spicy rice and beans is a meal!

Life was also meant to be enjoyed, so by all means enjoy a fat steak or burger on occasion. Supplement garlic, flaxseed oil, omega 3's, grapeseed extract, ascorbic acid, vit A and all the B's. Get some sunlight for vit D!

Have lots of sex. Laugh, but think seriously, if you are even a little sedentary than sex is vital for your cardiovascular health. 5 half hour sessions a week will do more for you than any gym.

There....everyone who reads this is without excuse!

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

I try to seriously restrict carbohydrates and sugars, that alone will add years to your life in a myriad of ways... It's allot to get into, but some fruits, greens and some animal protein and your good to go by simply highly limiting those 2 things...

I also take a few Resveratrol every day which works wonders...

Just knock out those Carbs and Sugars...

And try eating single food groups in one sitting...

Our diet is abusive, mixing a Potato, with Butter, with a veggie, with a fruit Juice, with a Steak with desert is just foul on the Human body...

Drop the Potato and Butter, drop the desert and try doing just the Steak and veggie as an example...

Our Stomach can't even separate all those food groups to digest it properly and it often just rots before you can even get into the cellular level stuff...

You don't need a starvation diet to achieve this... if your going to have Carbs, eat them separate reserve sugars for a rarer treat when deserved and don't do it right after dinner unless it's a holiday and you have good cause...

And fast, start slowly look up professional advice on how to do it safely and once a month go without and let your system clean out...

I'm aging backwards at this point, over a year ago I had many Grey hairs as an example, today None...not a one and that's just an example...

Lowering food intake while keeping a healthy diet, supplementing and being knowledgeable and exercise Works.... and that's all it takes to put 20-30 yrs on your life...

Kill the carbs and sugars as best you can...refined sugar being no1 on the list.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Good advice from S above too...

It's a deep field and there is no way to fill it all in a post... and everyone is different...

Spices... huge, Turmeric and Garlic are staples in my life on anything they apply to, hydration also huge.... as said above...

But more than anything kill the refined sugars... and then lower Crabs drastically and you'll seriously get into life extension from those 2 simple things

Black Tea...

I have replaced all sugary drinks with Black tea these days, and it's a huge energy boost...

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Excellent points mopusvindictus, I drink green tea instead of black, it is said it helps to control weight. I always laugh when I see the weight loss commercials and they always say you can eat all the pasta and dessert you want, of course they just keep you paying and paying for their so called healthy programs.
I am fortunate in that I don't have to watch my weight, but still important that I watch what I put in my body.

new topics

top topics

join