It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a petroleum boycott work??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well this is a good idea, and i dont know why they would delete that. All you said was boycott for two weeks. That sounds all good and all but i think most people would have a hard time with that.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I think all you would do is hurt a lot of small business owners that run the franchises. And have just about zero impact on the oil companies. If it had any kind of an impact, I beleive they would come up with marketing campaigns that would more than counteract any negative impact.

Also, while personal drivers are important, unless you get a significant number of businesses involved, the impact will remain low. How many businesses that rely on vehicle transportation to make money would be willing to go along with a gasoline boycott?

It might give you a sense of self-justice, but the overall effect on the market will be unnoticeable. If you want to stick it to the oil companies, you need to first educate yourself about how the market functions and how the oil industry works. Then you have to devise a market method that will have the ultimate outcome of lowering gasoline prices. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Logan

That's actually a brilliant point. The small business owners are the ones buying the gas, and they won't stop buying just because there's less people buying from them. Chances are good that they'd just continue to buy normally for the month and assume a hiccup for those couple of weeks (especially considering their entire customer base would likely not be entirely boycotters).

Great post.

reply to post by Clearskies

Everyone knows there's no real girls on the internet.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

No.

There is no debate about it, in my opinion. Too many people, too many businesses would cease to exist..too many people would be without their precious money.

In a world where Money rules all...(even common sense)

we will never be rid of Petroleum (in our life times. Maybe the fruit of our loins will live to see the day it all runs out)

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

No.

There is no debate about it, in my opinion. Too many people, too many businesses would cease to exist..too many people would be without their precious money.

In a world where Money rules all...(even common sense)

we will never be rid of Petroleum (in our life times. Maybe the fruit of our loins will live to see the day it all runs out)
I am only talking about a 2 or 3 day boycott here...more like a temporary strike. I'm sure if enough people get behind it then it would work.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I again think you guys are missing the point. Lets forget I said done use any petroleum products. Lets just say no one even drives for 3 days straight. If you dont drive then you dont use any fuel, and then you dont have to go buy the gas you just used. By not driving you are not consuming which if enough people did it over a few days would have a impact. Now add that to not buying any products with petroleum in them, now you are due to no one consuming fuel and not buying products you are interrupting the flow of things and will have a impact, minimal it may be, but still a impact. Also this isnt just to screw over the oil companies, which less face it they arent really gonna be hurt from this....this is to unite people and really just a test to see if Americans can unite for a common interest. If we can unite for this, then whos to say we cant unite for bigger things. This goes way beyond trying to lower gas prices, really thats not even the goal, the goal is to unite us for something and accomplish something together, as a country. Really im not trying to save the world here, hell I fly jets and have a Saleen....if i was trying to save fuel i would drive a Prius....im just trying to get people together to accomplish a task.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Man have i been busy. I have been non stop posting this idea all over the social networks and on all the top pages on facebook. My blog has been getting tons of hits and while i am getting some negative feedback, the majority has been positive. i'll keep up the updates as they happen. I'm sure you to will hear about it soon enough from a outside source.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lspilot6946
Well this is a good idea, and i dont know why they would delete that. All you said was boycott for two weeks. That sounds all good and all but i think most people would have a hard time with that.

What I said was two weeks so they have to shut down the refiners and ships. Lets see how long this post last.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by 22-250]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
You won't stop anyone who eats as direct result of gas, thats for sure. Truckers, industry, public transportation, Air Travel e.c.t. All there employees will be at work...if you cannot convince everyone to stand still, no boycott of a crucial element in daily life will succeed.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I think some of you are missing the point, use all the gas you want, just don't buy it on those days..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join