It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you too clean? Superbug development studies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Disinfectants may promote growth of superbugs

Everyone has heard the argument about being too clean. It doesnt give your immune system exposure, and therefore you cannot build an immunity.

In theory, if you could spend your first twenty years in a sterile environment and then be released, you would get sick from a plethora of things almost immediately.

There has been a surge in the use of disinfectants, and anti-baterial products. Some would say there is an irrational fear of germs.

Is over-use actually setting you up for a superbug?

Using disinfectants could cause bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics as well as the disinfectant itself, according to research published in the January issue of Microbiology.

The study is very cool. Read on....

The researchers showed that the bacteria had adapted to more efficiently pump out antimicrobial agents (disinfectant and antibiotic) from the bacterial cell. The adapted bacteria also had a mutation in their DNA that allowed them to resist ciprofloxacin-type antibiotics specifically.

Hygeine is definitely important, but do you really have to Lysol your house when there isnt any threatening bacteria around? Personally, I dont use it unless someone in my house is sick.
But what about in a hospital.....I mean, you need strong disinfectants there right?

Disinfectants are used to kill bacteria on surfaces to prevent their spread. If the bacteria manage to survive and go on to infect patients, antibiotics are used to treat them. Bacteria that can resist both these control points may be a serious threat to hospital patients.

Ah now I see the chain of events....

It's an interesting article, and the study raises alot of questions. You can read about the full study by clicking here.

What do you think, fellow ATS'ers?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Are you trying to say that there are ramifications to combining the glorification of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with FEAR? Who would've thought? The response to terrorism, I know is a bit off topic, but just like with pathogens, sometimes the best offense is a good defense. Interesting article....

Best,
Skunknuts

join