It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"South Africans Smoke Vulture Brains To Bring Lottery Luck"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
(There's a punch line for a cartoon in here somewhere, I think ...along the lines of the old bit that runs:
A: What's that?
B: My lucky rabbit's foot
A: Well, it wasn't lucky for him, now, was it?

- So, I picture this cartoon, concerning this here news story...There's two vultures, looking disgruntled, sitting on a fence...the one vulture says to the other "Man, if I could see the winning lottery numbers, I could buy fresh meat...I wouldn't have to be sitting around here just waiting for something to die !")
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Or anyway I didn't.
Now here is the news story.
This is from The Telegraph, or telegraph.co.uk, of December 27, 2009, I did not see a name given for the writer.
South Africans smoke vulture brains to bring lottery luck

Wildlife experts have warned vultures face extinction in South Africa amid a growing trend for smoking their dried brains in order to have a vision of winning lottery numbers.
They said that within 20 or 30 years the birds could be hunted to extinction for their use in "muti", or traditional medicine.
Rolled into a cigarette or inhaled as vapors, vulture brains can also help at the horse races, boost an exam performance, or lure more clients to a business.
Scelo, a healer in Johannesburg's muti market, said: "Vultures are scarce. I only have one every three or four months. Everybody asks for the brain. You see things that people can't see. For lotto, you dream the numbers. We make the brain dry and mix it with mud and you smoke it like a cigarette or a stick. Then the vision comes," he said.
He prescribes mainly vulture heads, which he says bring visions of the future, endowing users with the bird's excellent vision that helps them fly out of nowhere to descend on carcasses.
Steve McKean, a wildlife researcher, said: "Traditional use as it is currently happening is likely to render vultures extinct in southern Africa on its own within 20-30 years."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So, what I wonder is "does it work?"...Not in the sense of actually getting correct lottery numbers, but, where the muti-selling expert guy says it gives you a vision...that does sound like there might be an actual dose of something in there...particularly coming from the whole knowledge of pharmacologically-active and psychoactive plants , among the traditional healers...If he says the vulture brain gives you a vision, he's probably got some plants on the shelf, that definitely would cause visions in a user, to compare it to.
It reminds me of news accounts about the rapid disappearance of vultures in India...Eventually/evidently it was determined that the vultures were in trouble because of a cheap antibiotic, that farmers were now feeding to their cows...The vultures, being at the top of that food chain, eating lots of meat, were soaking up big piles of this substance, or more than their (kidneys, I think it was, vultures with weak kidneys) previously-adequate metabolic processes could handle.
So maybe the reason these South African vulture brains could give users a buzz is that, being high in the food chain, they are concentrating some substance in their brains?
But smoking it does seem a little weird ...Other things being equal, you would think it would be better to eat some molecule, than to burn it up, hmm...

[edit on 28-12-2009 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Like the old saying.

"be very careful what you wish for".

i live by that and south africans, like indians should understand that by now.

People never learn. This positive thinking is more complicated than just thinking something, or taking your drugs or eating some lambs foot or what have you.

Just be careful what you wish for.

Interesting that you mention india with africa, both cultures are fairly the same. Everyone wishing for things, and the country has nothing really to offer people.

When will people learn.

[edit on 12/28/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Those would be called buzzards way down here in the dirty South.

The only logical thing one could get out of smoking buzzard brains and mud would be parasites and Lord knows what else.

I will find a test subject and experiment. These crack heads around here will smoke anything.

Now I'm off to shoot buzzards.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Sickness of thinking in Africa never ceases....supposedly if a man rapes a virgin baby he will be cured of AIDS.

www.usafricaonline.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

You know, at first I thought that it might be a new substance, like the new antibiotic that just about smacked the Indian vultures, that might be causing the vision/buzz...so then it might be toxic to us humans, and the light poisoning would be intoxicating, so to speak, and the humans wouldn't know that this was the consequence of some agricultural-chemical-or-whatever that they were just now using...But thinking about it more, I bet they have been smoking vulture brains for awhile, I'm leaning towards thinking the effect might easily predate modern agricultural/industrial chemicals...I mean, if the vulture brains didn't formerly give you a buzz, 100 years ago, before human chemical inventiveness splashed stuff around...you wouldn't keep on smoking the vulture brain every ten years or so, "Nope..still nothing" until all of a sudden "Hey, they're good now!", just after that friendly cropduster guy sprayed DDT in your water supply...you know what I mean ...Smoking vulture brains would have to work the first time I did it, people wouldn't go on smoking them for years, over time, for no reason, right?...so that makes me think it's an old effect, so not from a new chemical...Speculation on top of speculation, of course...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I dunno if I'm going to buy this one. It sounds like another one of those jenkem things, y'know, "let's make up some crazy crap about Africans, all the white people we sell this to will buy it!"

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

The question that always nags me in relation to these nutty things is who was the first mad bastard to do it to begin with?

What on earth possessed the first plonker to rub sharks liver into his arse to ease his hemorrhoids ? Or some madman to go and fight a rhino in the belief that grinding its' horn and consuming it will do some juju or another ?

Humans appear to be pretty messed up or inspired by some jester in the sky.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

India and africa have very similar views to life.

On topic, people for the most part just want anything to help them get rich.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

I dunno if I'm going to buy this one. It sounds like another one of those jenkem things, y'know, "let's make up some crazy crap about Africans, all the white people we sell this to will buy it!"

Well in favor of your theory is the fact I saw no author's name.

If it is a hoax, I am not the one who's hoaxing it, nope nope.

I'm local American, I don't have a properly comprehensive sense of the corporate-personalities of the UK newspapers...but, I do think the Telegraph is okay respectable, and I don't think they habitually make a point of slandering the different-looking former colonials, I would say they prefer to avoid doing that.
But things do happen.

If it is a hoax, that would be interesting, too...Kids in Florida read of the hoax, and, believing it must be true, smoke some of the local buzzards... Boy turns up babbling in the emergency room, with feathers on his lips...That would be a lawsuit against the hoaxing newspaper, for sure...

Tearful mother makes the rounds of the morning shows, "He has never been the same since."

(And then the sitcom, it almost writes itself...teenage daughter yells at her mom "I'm buzzing hard - Smoking buzzard!" ...Mom says " First toad-licking, and now this! - Tell me, is there any disgusting animal that you won't take into your body??" Then the front doorbell rings, and Mom standing by the door, opens it and, seeing her daughter's evil little boyfriend, answers herself "...Obviously not.")

[edit on 28-12-2009 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I'm down south as well and apparently there are differences between vultures and buzzards...now a turkey buzzard seems similar to a vulture.

Either way, let me know what you find out with your experiment!!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

What sort of ignorance is that ????

Doing a quick google search revealed alot of stories about the OP's subject.
Are they true I don't know but to claim this stuff is made up just to make the ( White Man ) buy it smacks of just pure ignorance.

News link

News link 2

People in this world have some crazy idea's of what will help in life, some go to witch doctors, some go to mediums / spiritualists some turn to drugs etc. These people all have one thing in common, They are desperate to make a better life for themselves, other people pick up on there desperate situation, con artists if you like make a fortune out these desperate people.

The traditional healer here sells people hope by saying that smoking vulture brains will help you see lotto numbers.
What these people fail to realise is why is the healer not smoking the vulture brains and seeing all the lotto numbers.It's because he/she knows it a scam. All the people see is a quick fix to better their lives. The only person getting rich in the healer.
It is this sort of ignorance of these people that stops them helping themselves up in life.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by colec156]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I have often wondered that too. Who where the first and why would they even think such things, lol.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Why do we keep sending aid to this continent? Isnt it obvious enough yet that nature wants then to wipe themselves out?

Between the child raping to cure aids, the president announcing a shower will cure aids, the constant genocide over huge patches of dirt, huffing fermented feces to pass the time and now smoking vulture brains to win the lottery?

Lost cause. Anymore money wasted on that continent should be in the form of a giant fence to prevent the sickness from escaping.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Why do we keep sending aid to this continent? Isnt it obvious enough yet that nature wants then to wipe themselves out?

We send money that keeps the dictators in control of the masses.
1st world nations still manipulate Africa and plunder her for all her assets on the cheap.

Africa can still be a very powerful rich continent of nations but that won't bode well for the current world order of 1st world nations. Hence they are kept poor.

Take Somalia, they are no effective government so what do other nations do, that's Right dump toxic waste on the cheap off the coast.

Why does the UN not help out in Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe has nothing to offer anymore.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by colec156]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Here is another recent article on the vulture-brain-smoking-for-precognition-concept...there is some overlap with the previously-linked piece, but, some new information too...written by David Smith, the link is to The Guardian/guardian.co.uk of December 30, 2009.

Vultures face extinction as gamblers seek visions of the future

Such is the demand for vulture brains to use in muti - traditional medicine - that wildlife experts fear the birds could be driven to extinction in two or three decades. They also warn that hunting could intensify as gamblers seek an advantage when betting on the football World Cup in South Africa.
A 2007 study found that 160 vultures are sold a year for muti in eastern South Africa, with the total across the region thought to be much higher. About 1,000 are killed every year in Tanzania alone.
The birds are shot, trapped or poisoned by hunters. One tactic is to poison an animal so the vultures that feed on the carcass themselves fall victim. "You can have 300 or 400 converge on a poisoned carcass and all be wiped out," [Andre] Botha [manager of the birds of prey working group at the Endangered Wildlife Trust in South Africa] added. Brains and other body parts are then sold at street markets or shops in Johannesburg and other cities.
Traditional healers prefer that the bird be captured alive as the head needs to be removed while it is still living so that "the brain does not flow down into the spinal cord" and the muti loses its potency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The poisoning bit makes me wonder what poisons are used, i.e. whether that could account for a visionary buzz...like people smoking formaldehyde...They probably wouldn't poison the carcass with PCP or anything big like that, nuh-uh, but still...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The things that come out of Africa.. I swear...

Honestly, what do you say to this?

new topics

top topics

join