It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Steorn magnetic motor replication by JL Naudin

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by djcubed

This test is pulling very low power to run...

if my old eyeballs are reading the meters right, it is using 50 mA (0.05 A) at about 12 V, meaning 0.6 W of power at the top speed shown. I really wish the demonstrator had given us a speed readout as well, but it was spinning nicely.

and notice when drag is added to this motor power consumption goes down, not up.

That is a direct result of the positioning of the toroids to prevent back EMF. It is exactly what I would expect to see.

As said before, I really like this motor design as well; if I did not, I wouldn't be posting in this thread so regularly. The size to power ratio is not a match for traditional electric motors, but the lack of a need for a surge current during start-up or stall can be a large benefit. Of course, that also means the motor is not self-starting, which is another drawback. And finally, while the torque of a traditional motor will increase during those surges, this motor will put out a fixed amount of torque at all times.

I still see no over-unity in this, only a very unique and efficient motor design that would lend itself well to niche applications. I am keeping an open mind, though.

Thanks for the video.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by djcubed

I really wish the demonstrator had given us a speed readout as well, but it was spinning nicely.

At 2 mins he states it's over 1000 RPM... I believe that reading. NOW FASTER!~

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by djcubed

Well, it's really not good technique to write out numbers on a piece of paper and expect them to be taken seriously. Plus, 'over 1000 RPM' is not something that you can plug into your equations to check efficiency. Every motor I have built has an allowance made for a RPM meter to be attached, and I have a more-or-less standard counter I build for the readout. And barring that, conventional frequency counters are pretty easy to lay hands on.

One thing that I like about the design is the ease with which parameters could be measured. The motor design uses a switch based on the position of the magnets (in this last video, it is the coil setting back from the toroid coils), and that means there is a signal for the speed already built into the design.

If I were to build one, I would probably prefer an optical switch instead of a sensor coil, though. Just personal preference.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by djcubed

based on that vid - i am very suspicious of the claim :

" it has no back EMF "

pay close attention to the last few seconds when the device stops

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

That claim of no back-EMF raises a few flags for me also.

A conductor and a magnetic field moving relative to each other will induce an EMF in the conductor which is a principle fairly well understood and widely utilised, even in this device. Perhaps it's a poor description of the concept leading to a misunderstanding as a back-EMF can be induced but it will not cause any magnetic reaction unless there's a complete circuit in which it can induce a current in the conductor - electromagnetic flux density is proportional to the ampere-turns within the coil so no circuit = no current = no flux even though an EMF is being generated. Removing the applied EMF while the motor is at rated speed will allow the back-EMF to be directly measured as the motor runs down to a standstill. If no back-EMF was present, there'd be no voltage at the terminals after switching off the applied voltage.

The best practical use of back-emf in an electric motor would have to be dynamic braking which involves little more than applying a short circuit across the terminals after removing the applied EMF.

[edit on 1/1/2010 by Pilgrum]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilgrum

Is this test inconclusive?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by djcubed

Well actually yes, it is inconclusive as it stands - a 30 second video is really not definitive proof of anything. I could feign the absence of an induced EMF myself under those conditions but it wouldn't be real and I wouldn't expect anyone to accept it as such.

Here we see permanent magnets moving in close proximity to wound coils - can you come up with any ideas on why there's no voltage induced in the coils or, more to the point, how no voltage is being detected?

[edit on 2/1/2010 by Pilgrum]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

"Clueless" my have been too dramatic a word. But it does accurately describe the faculty of the institutions. That is where it should have used it, I am sure we agree.

I accept your invitation, but in what capacity? Shall I watch my U2Us?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by djcubed

yes - as induction is a 2 way street

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
99% of the posts here are completely unscientific and worse than the claims put forward by Steorn. It shows that when any of those people were in Steorn's place they would do a very horrible job at "satisfying" the public.

I had hoped more that people used some critical thinking and digging real deep into the principles than make conclusions that are completely worthless besides for self satisfaction.

First of all the Orbo designs lack of back emf is not something mysterious. This can be explained using conventional thinking. However there are cases that have to be satisfied for this to be so. For instance you can completely eliminate back emf and even cause the core to push the magnet on the way out all the while no back emf or changing inductance is happening. The saturation of the core is the center point of this. I'll let you figure out the rest.

Second of all people's lack of research seems to have made the pink elephant in the room invisible. The e-orbo anomaly is not the lack of induced emf bur it's the magnetic viscosity of magnetic materials. In other words how fast a certain magnetic material reacts to a change in field. Read their patent.

I'm kind of disappointed by ATS.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by broli]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Here's a recent quote from Sean.

We will be placing a system in the Waterways and will allow people to bring their own test equipment (or use ours) - and you can test a system the way you see fit. Note that all tests like this will be done under the supervision of one of engineers - this is simply to prevent someone who might want to break a system apart. However no reasonable request will be refused.

Sean

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
I accept your invitation, but in what capacity? Shall I watch my U2Us?

As of right now it's still just an idea being discussed - but a really good one I think!

I'm told that the staff will be discussing and negotiating some things with me privately, and if that goes well then we'll probably see a thread about it.

I'm sure the staff will want to have final say on the members of the tech team, but thanks to you and TheRedneck for volunteering!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
In case you guys actually get close to building this thing, you may need a lesser experienced individual to hang around and wear a red shirt all the time. Thats where I come in. I can be your guaranteed warning sign that danger is about, when I go missing.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by patmac
I can be your guaranteed warning sign that danger is about, when I go missing.

Gaah, change of subject please!!!

*MajorD runs and locks himself away in his apartment for a few more weeks*

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I am far from an expert in this field, but I do think that the gentleman in this video is really on to something here. I have seen many many videos on over unity designs and this guy is really on to something. Here it is.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by enacae

That's an interesting find, enacae, thanks

Where's the output power going I wonder? Back into the same battery that's supplying the input?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by patmac

Aha! We have a canary. Well, if you are volunteering to be our point man, I can load you with information to hasten your objective.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

I don't think he has got as far along in testing what he can get out of the machine. If you view video 18 , he hasn't got any of the coils hooked up. I think if he hooks up the right kind of coils and turns it on. I believe he can achieve enough power to make the machine run itself. He is getting a lot of work out of one 3 volt motor due to the permanent magnets. His design has potential I believe.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
It looks like Steorn and JLN have made a very low torque motor which of course uses a small amount of power for this reason.

The direction of rotation depends on the position of the hall probes so there is no surprise that it wants to turn one way whatever the coil supply polarity is. Coil polarity also makes no difference because the torque isnt generated by a field to field interaction.

JLN wont measure back emf because the MOSFET he is using, like most, has an internal diode to short this out. He may want to try using a mosfet without one to see what happens. The design is inherently low back-emf however.

An interesting motor design - yes I suppose. Useful? - probably not. Overunity, err no.

Another permanent magnet motor that is lubricated by snake oil. It is similar to the magnetic motors that require a "wiggler" to be moved by a finger to continue to rotate only in this design the wiggler is electronic rather than mechanical.

[edit on 3/1/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

But supposing they have found a way to eliminate the back-EMF, then theoretically they should be able to set up the rotor to generate power and it would be overunity would it not? Since the back-EMF is what usually causes huge losses of energy?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join