It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When/If 2012 Doesn't Bring The End of the World...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I, for one, am on the fence about the whole 2012 scenario, or multiple scenarios. On one hand, I cannot dispute the fact that the earth is undergoing some rapid changes, that I don't think we are causing. There are a lot of intriguing instances to look at when thinking about the current time we live in. Looking at the past, we see a rise and fall in many species on this planet, as we learn that life here is cyclical. And while we only live for a very small percentage of one of these cycles (as far as we're aware), it's logical to reason that humans will meet their end within the next few thousand years. Whether it's by our hand, or natural causes remains to be seen.

One of the notions about 2012, is that we will naturally face the end of this age and the beginning of another. What that means is open to interpretation, and has been interpreted by many, leading to tons of information out there on the net. There's so much information now, that nobody knows what to believe. Cosmic radiation, 65 million year extinction cycle, 3600 year orbit of a brown dwarf star, killer asteroids, killer comets caused by a 3600 year orbit of a rogue planet, and the list goes on and on.

I have no proof for any of these, and I don't know if any of these are going to happen. There are half-truths that can be argued either way. My question to you is simple;

Whether or not you're a 2012 believer, if said year comes and goes and nothing happens, will that affect how you react to stuff you read on the internet? December 31st, 2012 11:59 PM...will you think back to all of the things you read, all of the falsehoods, all of the lies; and start taking a second and third guess at everything, whether it's on ATS or a blog? There's plenty of disinfo on this website, most of it is just lunacy. Maybe you don't believe in any of it in the first place. But if the year passes with no major calamity causing the upheaval of the human race, how will that affect the way you react to "alternative news?"

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
Whether or not you're a 2012 believer, if said year comes and goes and nothing happens, will that affect how you react to stuff you read on the internet?

Some time ago, I learned my lesson about reacting to stuff on the Internet and stuff that doesn't sound logical or reasonable. I am as certain as I can be of anything that Dec 21, 2012 is going to come and go just as Dec 31, 1999 did, just as any other day that rolls by. Nothing is going to happen.

Most of the fantastical stuff on the Internet today is ridiculous, IMO. Not only that, it obscures the things we SHOULD be looking at, especially as regards big business and the government. But people love an exciting story with bright lights and fancy colors.

People are too eager to believe every story that comes up. It's sad, really, as if their lives aren't interesting enough as they are, that they need to follow the fantasies that are set in front of them like a carrot on a stick.

So, I'm not going to spend any time trying to convince the 2012 "believers" that it's nothing, even according to the Mayans. They'll find out in due time. And I honestly hope they learn something from it. But I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The only people that think the world will end in 2012 are people that
have done very little if any research into the subject, they just watched
a youtube video also made by a moron and call that a vast mayan study.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
It won't affect me at all if nothing happens in 2012. I think most of the hype is simply sensationalism by those that want to profit off it.

Perhaps it would be different if the Mayans weren't wiped out and most of the texts destroyed by the Christian missionaries. Then there would be real information on why the calendar ended and what they really expected to happen on that date. As it is now, they have too little information for it to be nothing more than sensationalism or the basis of a bad cable movie.

Sadly, we are going to see a huge increase in the sensationalism over the next two years as the snake oil salesmen try to pitch their products. Whether it be that they somehow communicated with aliens to learn the details or that God told them the rapture was coming on that date. Information which they can share for a small fee or donation.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

How many times do people have to keep saying 2012, is just a transition.

Op should go work out what the word transition means.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The way I view ideas on the internet has never changed. Observe, research, form opinions, repeat.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

I'm trying to understand why you wrote this. The OP DID point out that many believe it will be a transition only and not the end. That it is up to interpretation. The OP is about how, when nothing happens, will it affect you.

It won't affect me at all. I have learned to disallow things like this to affect how I live my life. I will not live in fear of what MAY or MAY NOT happen in 2 years. In 2 years I'm looking to be in a higher position of employment utilizing my MBA and management experience and providing a better life for my family.

If say, it all ends, well, guess what...I won't give a damn will I? Because it will be over! If nothing happens then I won't give a damn either. Why? Because I do know a lot of crap is complete BS on the internet. I have learned some hard lessons in the many years I have been reading and then participating on sites like this.

I initially would believe some things and then research it only to find that it was complete hogwash. So I no longer live my life worrying about the maybes and mights. I live for the day and work to make my life and everyone elses I contact better.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Re-read the original post.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
to all the people that think the world will end on the year 2012 .
the mayans did not and have never said that the world will end.
just because their calender stops at that year does not mean anything.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think that one 2012 fact that we can already recognise as being such, is that a large number of people don't have any inclination to undertake their own research.

They would much rather be handled the information they find most palatable, rather than seriously attempt to improve their awareness about a given issue.

Youtube has a lot to answer for!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If you mean how will it effect me personally? Assuming I'm still a mod. here on ATS, I'm going to be busy as heck, one way or another...

Seriously though, history is rife with such predictions of armegeddon of varying kinds... ...and oddly enough, the world continued on after the time of prediction has passed. There will, of course, be a huge amount of "i told you so"'s, and other assorted gloating...that's to be expected, I suppose.

Now if it does happen? Well, all bets are off, and we're going to be a tad on the busy side...surviving...

Nothing to do, but to wait and see...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
When 2012 comes around, and very little ( or nothing ) happens, I think my life will actually be impacted in a positive way. We all need a little nudge of something that we believe in not happening, not to be depressed, but to realize that life isn't about sitting around and preparing for something in the future that has scant evidence surrounding the date that could happen, but living for the happiness of today and maybe tomorrow.

This is clearly a problem in our society. People will sit around, wringing their hands, worrying about the next disaster while they do not realize that the real disaster is the fact that they are wasting precious days by preparing for something that could or could not happen. Though people should be aware of their environment, we should not freak out and learn every single thing to survive in case of ( insert whatever you like here )

I hope that when 2012 comes around, and little if anything changes, I get a good kick in the rump to live for today and be the best person I can be!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Aside from the fact that the OP DID mention a transitional period, I can't help but wonder what, specifically, you're talking about. What kind of transition do you think is going to take place? Will it be on the date of Dec 21st? Or will ANY transition in 2012 be attributed to the prophesies? Does this transition have anything to do with the Mayan calender? If not, why do you think there will be "a transition" in 2012?

My thoughts are that many times we go through what could be considered a "transitional" period. We've just been through one with Obama's election. Almost ANY presidential election year (which 2012 is) could be considered a time of transition. 9/11 could be considered a transition. Michael Jackson's death, the bailouts could ALL be considered transitions. We are going through transitions all the time. Life is a series of transitions. So why pick out 2012 and say that it's going to be some sort of transitional period as though it's different than all other years.

Truth is, it would be strange if we DIDN'T go through some sort of transition that year. I suspect saying that it's a transition is a way for "believers" to CYA, in case nothing of import happens.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

If nothing happens, it is just more disinfo by the government, which means the people should do something, and maybe that will be the transition/change/awakening people are talking about?

Or maybe something will happen, either way it is only speculation.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

What part did the govt. play in this whole 2012 thing? Near as I can surmise, none...

This has been known, the ending of the Mayan calender, for a long time. Only as the date approached did it become the latest in a long line of Doomsday prophecies...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Aside from the fact that the OP DID mention a transitional period, I can't help but wonder what, specifically, you're talking about. What kind of transition do you think is going to take place? Will it be on the date of Dec 21st? Or will ANY transition in 2012 be attributed to the prophesies? Does this transition have anything to do with the Mayan calender? If not, why do you think there will be "a transition" in 2012?

My thoughts are that many times we go through what could be considered a "transitional" period. We've just been through one with Obama's election. Almost ANY presidential election year (which 2012 is) could be considered a time of transition. 9/11 could be considered a transition. Michael Jackson's death, the bailouts could ALL be considered transitions. We are going through transitions all the time. Life is a series of transitions. So why pick out 2012 and say that it's going to be some sort of transitional period as though it's different than all other years.

Truth is, it would be strange if we DIDN'T go through some sort of transition that year. I suspect saying that it's a transition is a way for "believers" to CYA, in case nothing of import happens.

Clearly, you don't even understand the whole 2012 transitional period.

In fact we are going through it right now, and have been since the beginning of this universe.

The Mayans had many calendars, some for tracking stars and constellations and others for basic agriculture uses.

However, they also had a calendar than did not track anything astronomical, but rather tracked the cosmical energy cycles.(basically evolution of consciousness)

www.potentiation.net...

The point being is that it ends in 2011, not 2012.

It will be the apocalypse i am sure. (apocalypse means revealing of the truth.)

With all this disinfo going around the internet and media, i am not sure what is going to happen in these next few years.

But it's going to be one of the most important times in recent human history, IMO.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dave157
Clearly, you don't even understand the whole 2012 transitional period.

That's kind of why I asked, "What kind of transition do you think is going to take place?" It's not that I don't understand it at all. I have done quite a bit of research on it and have come to my conclusions based on my research. If this is all the more specific you can be, I'm going to have to stand by my ground. If something DOES happen in 2012 (or 2011) I can see the "believers" saying, "That's IT!" It's June of 2011, but it's close enough because the date isn't exact.

In fact we are going through it right now, and have been since the beginning of this universe.

My point exactly. Life is a series of transitions. (I think I said that...) What is different about 2012 (now 2011)?

The point being is that it ends in 2011, not 2012.

And the point of that is???

It will be the apocalypse i am sure. (apocalypse means revealing of the truth.)

So... what "truth" is going to be revealed in 2012. I mean 2011?

With all this disinfo going around the internet and media, i am not sure what is going to happen in these next few years.

Well, there's a bit of truth.

But it's going to be one of the most important times in recent human history, IMO.

That's all very general. This past year was "one of the most important times in recent human history", too.

If nothing happens, how will you feel? How will it affect the way you think of alternative news?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Just go with me for a second,

The government finds a calander that ends on 2012 they can't explain it, so they put a spin on it that is doom and gloom theory.

People get lazy and fearful because they see 2012 as being the end of the world date, they quit their jobs and do what they want, then 2012 comes and nothing happens.

My point is the government can be leading some of the 2012 doom and gloom theories to throw people off track and distract them from whats important in our short lives.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

OK. I see where you're coming from. But that would take more foresight than I think any govt., muchless this one in America, is capable of.

It is an interesting notion though... One of those things that make you go...

Hmmmmm...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well to start, the economy and the dollar is going to collapse, within the coming months.

After that many things can occur.

One being alien/ufo disclosure( which will impact a lot of religions and people.)

war could also break out in this time.

a new one world government could be ushered in.

The thing is, there is just too many possibilities.

Time will tell as it always does, but throughout these events a spiritual awakening will be going on as it is now.

If nothing happens between now and than?
i don't see that to be really possible with the current shape of our world and society.
But if nothing at all happens and we continue to live as we always did?
Than i continue to live and enjoy life with my friends and family, as i would have even "if" something happened.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join