It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people support the war on drugs...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
... when it has done nothing but expand federal government power, strip individual liberties, create a police state, and infringe on the rights of a person to do what he/she wishes to do with his/her body (can anybody say "nanny state?")

The war on drugs was an excuse to spy on Americans, no different than the war on terrorism; except the war on drugs has a much higher cost than the war on terror, namely the creation of super-mafias with a fist that reaches around the globe, and Dons that are rich enough to make the Fortune-500 list. Beyond that, law abiding citizens pay in liberty, privacy, tax dollars, and the safety of their once peaceful streets. Right now Mexico is paying the highest price in all north America -- nobody need tell them the cost of the war on drugs -- they read about it in the obituaries every day.

Would these violent cartels exist if there were no war on drugs? Would Al Capone exist if there was never a prohibition on alcohol?

Maybe you all need a reminder from Abraham Lincoln (or is he too 'radical' for this generation):

Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
Speech, 18 Dec. 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
P R O P A G A N D A..

Pushed on the world by the US.. made people believe that all drugs are the same, are dangerous and are the causes of the social problems and violence we see..

As opposed to the illegality of the drugs being the cause of most of the social problems and violence.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

What tickles me about the whole problem is that it feeds on itself. The tougher laws are enforced, the higher the price addicts pay, the more money cartels make, the more powerful they become.

The government then asks for more money to fight the cartels, fewer liberties for individuals (because free people are capable of doing drugs, and we can't have that), more laws to bust people with, etc.

So the drug dealers go through greater lengths to smuggle, up their price, and have the government quash small competition at the behest of the tax payer.

Then the government asks for more money to fight the cartels, fewer liberties for individuals, more laws, etc.

The cycle just repeats itself, from there. Meanwhile, everybody loses. Especially the citizens.

It's pretty ridiculous that the majority of American's haven't caught on to this, yet.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by Kaytagg]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
it's all about corruption and money.

A major backer in the war on drugs is the cia because they can make as much money as they need without oversight.

Also the prison industrial complex thinks the military industrial complex is cute and hopes they can hook up someday.

It's easy to blame inanimate objects for stuff because they don't defend themselves.
example-daddy didn't mean to beat mommy and rape the dog,he was drunk.

if you would do something high or drunk you'll do it sober .

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The PEOPLE who support this sham 'war' are engaging in the abuse of casuistry.This is the application of general principles to individuals without considering each case as a unique situation.If all 'drugs' are bad for everyone,no matter different pharmacological effects and hazards,no exceptions are allowed.Thus the lumping together of the truly dangerous and the fairly safe,like meth and Cannabis.This is how actual medical research is stifled and why.It's fuzzy headed thinking.Fear based,too.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by trueforger

drugs are chemical tools for the body,they are not alive or good/evil

we used to give our military pilots meth so they could stay awake for long flights.
amphetamines are prescribed for a wide variety of conditions quite safely.
P.S.I don't like meth it's gross

a few points here.

1.A mad man with an axe doesn't mean axes should be banned.only mad men.
2.the axe doesn't make the man mad.
3.making axes illegal won't make them go away,just makes them more expensive.
4.keep axes away from children!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Maybe people would stop supporting the war on drugs once they see how wealthy it makes some people. In my city, (Vancouver, Canada) if you are young and you can afford a house and an expensive car, you're either born into a wealthy family, are a doctor, or an illegal drug manufacturer or a sucessful drug dealer, and we have a lot of illegal drug activities in the Lower Mainland, which of course includes gang activity.

It's so bad here that whenever I see a twentysomething in a Humvee or a tricked out racer I immediately think 'Drug dealer'

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is really sad imo. I was watching some cops show last night, and...oh it was the new Steven Segal cop show...anyway...they had 4-5 cops plus camera men to arrest some poor kid for smoking pot. what a waste of resources, and a blatant power trip. IMO the end user is not the guy that needs to be arrested. He is just the poor schmuck that happens to be addicted to whatever substance! no source= no addiction. there is a better way.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The way i see it, is that the war on drugs as portrayed by world governments is nothing short of an advertising campaign, It seems more and more these days, the biggest profits from illegal drugs go to the governments, I read the other day that the American Economy was only able to pull through as fast as it did, was down to the drug trade from Afghanistan, managed by the CIA. So by keeping the public up on the war on drugs is just a good way of keeping up peoples awareness of the situation, and in some cases the fact that drugs are there and what they are for. What i mean by that, is if you take other situations or secret agenda within government, that never makes it to MSM, but people say here on ATS know about it, because we look outside the box, most of the time anyway, but you ask the average person in the street about that subject, and they know nothing of it, some will say they have never even heard of it. So the secrets are kept secret, and what they want you to know is spread like wild fire.

The sad thing is, like anything like this is the corruption, mostly by government and their minions, innocent people being killed caused by illegal trafficking, and the fact that some of these drugs if legal, would help a lot of people in great pain, in a more natural way than some of the synthetic pain killers available. I have been told that things like cannabis can be very beneficial to Osteoporosis sufferers, as well as many other conditions, some people are brave enough to try it, and others are not, due to the legal consequences attached to it. Just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Why do people support the war on drugs...

The people who support it do it for a few reasons:

1. Because they hate drugs and what becomes of people who absue drugs. They want to get behind something that they deem positive.

2. Because they truly believe that a war on drugs will help people, help society and so on.

3. Because they have not done research regarding the WOD and dont realize that it is not working, costs much money and actually creates more crime and deaths.

[edit on December 28th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by the_grand_pooh-bah

I didn't say Meth was bad,only dangerous.I was given dexidrine when young for attention deficit type behavior.I liked that.But my use went illegal really fast and the doc didn't care or seem to notice.Quitting was necessary.

Benjamin Franklin,my fave from that era,was advocate of moderation in all things.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Good topic.

I feel as if it's not really a War on Drugs anymore, as it is a War on Our Minds.

I read a report of a man who suffered serious injury in a car-crash and had an NDE (Near Death Experience) which (apparently, according to who you ask) releases '___', a highly psychedelic which is supposedly released during birth, traumatic moments, and death.... well, the man was charged with DUI because they found trace amounts of '___' in his system.

That's not a war on drugs, people, that's a war on our minds.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Yes and they believe many of these things because they have been twisted to do so regarding the social drugs out there.

And the whole thing about people feeling like the war on drugs is better for society is also twisted.. the beginning of the war on drugs was nothing more than racism.. "Smoking hemp gives the negro the confidence to look a white man in the eye, walk on a white mans shadow and look at a white woman twice".. "Cannabis gives the negro illusions of equality".

It is ridiculous that in this day and age, with all information freely available, that people will continue to support such laws as the ban of cannabis simply because they are too ignorant and conditioned to look into the issue themselves...

Its only going to end one way.. excessive violence and social problems.. then almost forced decriminalization.

Its slowly happening around the EU.. Portugal, Czech Republic, Holland & Belgium have policies regarding decriminalization while Germany, Switzerland and others have non official policies. This is done to save money, curb violence and underground economies and alleviate social problems to do with the illegality of drugs.

IMO, people who support blanket illegality of anything, including all narcotics are bloody small minded, uneducated idiots and are the epitome of backwardness in our societies.

And I don't even take drugs btw.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
People are brainwashed from childhood to support the war on drugs. There is so much negativity towards drugs in the media & institutions that they never get a fair shot.

The only thing true about the war on drugs is that too much drugs can be harmful.

In the end it's the system that attacks humans using drugs that is more harmful than the drugs themselves. How many unnecessary time goes towards chasing drugs & putting people away for them? I suppose police, corrections, courts & jail construction companies might not want to stop the war on drugs after all that's how they make a living.

How many less robberies, burglaries and car prowls would there be if drugs were as cheap as they are to produce? Most of them are just plants that are processed and transported.

Here in my state - they are talking about selling MJ at state liquor stores to generate more tax revenue. Imagine that today they pay cops to sniff around your car and if they smell pot they arrest you, take you to jail, impound your car and make you pay all kinds of fines and jump through hoops.

It's hard to imagine that one day we'll just pay them a tax and they will leave dope smokers alone.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy site...IMHO most people have tried 'em,including politicos.Like Bush jr and Barry.

This said,there is the phenom of the 'contact high'.As one who has 'experience',if you are 'sober' and come into contact with a person 'under the influence',your previous use(and associated learned perception of 'highness')sometimes brings you to a stoned state,complete with the giggles and sudden awareness of absurdities,in even the most serious situations.And you didn't partake,the other guy did!!

In various workplaces I have been,there is usually a code of no puffing while on the clock,not due to the usual reasoning,but because of this contact high factor.It's like being dosed unawares,a big no no.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
A bunch of reasons.

People feel its governments job to dictate morality. People feel it's governments job to create an atmosphere of "safety." People like that it's a very efficient way to kill and imprison a bunch of black and brown people. People like that there is an endless amount of money to be made and power to be had in a market run by artificially set parameters. Skanky women love drug dealers so it's an easy way to hook up three-ways.

A different reason for everyone. All pretty much selfish and or stupid.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Its a feel-good war.
The majority of the current generation in charge, don't know anything about drugs. They don't know users, pushers, producers, addicts etc. they have never been around drugs so only have what the government tells them to make their decisions on drugs with. Even most of the youth generation are largely out of touch with recreational use and just hear what the government and their parents (repeating the government) tell them. Also lots of people are unable to distinguish between different drugs and types of each drug. For example they just hear cannabis, they don't know if people are referring to herbal, resin, skunk, hashish etc. they just think its all the same. Because of this they come under the illusion that all drugs have the same affect, in creating addicts, harming the body/mind, fuelling crime.

So now that people are under this illusion the government is able to tell them all these figures about amounts seized and people arrested and the people think "hey the gov is doin quite well" and they feel secure in the fact that their taxes and government are helping make their world a better place. They don't realise that seizing 1kg of heroin is going to make a lot more difference to people and society than seizing 10kg of herbal cannabis (hell probably even 100kg), they just hear the numbers and feel good. This allows the government to go after the easy targets (stoners, small time dealers, cannabis growers) and ignore the big problems (addicts, junkies, large scale importers and organised groups).

-Cauch1

PS I do realise that I digressed quite a bit

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Having an underground economy is in reality probably better for a Nation than harmful... there have been times when in places Spices were illegal... (from the pov of those running it that is)

Making something the people want badly, illegal has always been a method in one form or another of generating underground cash.

Not saying that any of the other aspects like Booze companies or Racism haven't been used as excuses or support... but the reality behind it all is the EVIL $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ involved by artificially raising the price of basically Free stuff to near the value of gold or silver...

Even MJ can run a couple hundred an oz for higher quality strains these days...

This pumps allot of cash around, law enforcement, the public, the overall economy... those that get deeply involved, your societies rebels end up in Jail...

They love it these creeps, it's Billions of $$$

The only answer is to stay uninvolved or to move to a location that is tolerant of your Habit...

When the time comes where there is something else to be the "underground economic stimulus" Drugs will be legal...

MJ, will be legal very soon, because the money is drying up, local law enforcement in most places will not bust you any more for in home use, if they don't get you in the car, your not getting in trouble so legalization is becoming slowly the better way to make a profit...

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Uh...Highest price quoted in the monthly High Times Market Quotes(pretty accurate historically)is a whopping $700 oz for the strain,''trainwreck'' in Md,a state with about the worst laws.Also in NY,another state with harsh laws,$700 is the ounce price for "blueberry".A bunch are listed at $400-$450 in other states.There is a direct corelation with price and a state's harshness in sentencing laws.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Just MHO

I think the powers that regulate/push the WOD's is doing so, to keep and create jobs. But that just my opinion.

I have no #'s to back up what I'm about to say, but if you take every person on the WOD's payroll starting with the paid informant and going to the top.
I find it hard to believe that there are more ppl using/trafficing these items than the ppl used to inforce the WOD's!

In short I believe there are more ppl that have jobs fighting this, than there are ppl breaking the laws.

I believe they use this and the media to promote any and all they can, such as making examples of one kid/person that had a bad outcome "prison or whatever", and not postin right beside that, the 30+ year user that runs a million dollar CO. that has never had issues, and now if he did he could buy his way out.

They are taking advantage of the baby boomer generation IMO the generation that was the closest thing to abstanence there is...ie..site owner..and my father "not one and the same" to mention a couple.
They never used or was around it, so deam it unnessisary to need to discuss it.
don't bann me please I'm just making a point, not meant to be at your expense!

They want everyone to believe, its taboo and/or should not even be spoken, or debated, just like the 1930's it did not work then, and prohibition of anykind will never work, it only creates a more lucrative way to make $$ and or the war against it.
Unless someone is in denial, there is not one person in the U S that can not have any of the controlled substances if they desired, more than likely in a few hours.
But hey lets not teach any of the real issues like self control, and worth to our youth, lets just pretend the WOD's is really working and deny the fact that its available to everyone, at all times.
Everyone knows an addict or abuser, so unless the ppl that just know an addict are edjucated, they are the ones that will fall for the false adverts from the WOD's political leaders, and advert pushers claiming victory and wanting more $$ to save the person they know.

Here in the bible belt just having rolling papers is against the law!
I recieved a ticket for parafernalia, because I had papers and no tobacco, I do roll my own cigs and was really out of tobacco, but thats the new law.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Doc Holiday]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join