It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paranormal State Exposed?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

Spot on!

I can't believe the man has the balls to carry on fooling, should be ashamed of himself! he has more balls than mike tyson!

I have a soft spot for Yvette
but yeah she gets on my nerves sometimes

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by valiant

I know! I dont understand how derek & whatever PR team he employs, if any, have managed to sweep that under the carpet.
I did enjoy his live seance with MJ though, best laugh Ive had in ages.

Yvette quite frankly needs to calm the f down. The shows been running what, 7/8 years now? And the woman is completely devoid of the joys of desensitization. I wish she'd take a few sedatives before filming.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
reply to post by valiant

I know! I dont understand how derek & whatever PR team he employs, if any, have managed to sweep that under the carpet.
I did enjoy his live seance with MJ though, best laugh Ive had in ages.

Exactly! i'm sure he will have made some spiritual excuse for it and some poor people have swallowed it up! TV company's have no problem employing crooks though, so atleast that part is easily digestible, it's just the audience reaction that continue's to baffle me!

Originally posted by Bluebelle
Yvette quite frankly needs to calm the f down. The shows been running what, 7/8 years now? And the woman is completely devoid of the joys of desensitization. I wish she'd take a few sedatives before filming.

Hahaha yeah, she would own an Oscar if she were to move to films, she's THAT good
she knows her role I reckon

[edit on 10-1-2010 by valiant]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I'm skeptical of them all. Jay and Grant speaking as if their pseudoscience is factual. It's impossible to admmit any of their nonsensical equipment as fact without a control. GHI has less debunking than GH. Ghost Adventures, lol. A spirit is always attacking someone. Paranormal state is the mediums and posession. The problem is that there is never a 3rd party control measure. The closest thing to a legit longterm investigation is the moseleum here in New Orleans. Static cameras 24/7.With camera crews abound, multiple investigators and no control group it's impossible to tell if anything is real. I'd love to set up hidden cameras in my home and bring all of these groups in and record their process. And catch them in the act...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think that the only technically good thing about Paranormal State is the camera work at the beginning of the show and just after the breaks where they are showing the outdoor surroundings, the sky, etc. It's usually very well done, so I assume it's done by someone other than those filming the actual "investigations". The show itself is actually hilarious - the way they automatically conclude that everything is demonic possession, and typically the priest with the way-too-tight shirt and the Amityville Horror lady ("oh, honey, you've got a demon on your hands") are on-site 5 minutes into the episode. Elffie the High Priestess of Post-Nasal Drip is well on her way to becoming Aunt Clara from Bewitched. On the upside, this show did help me bond with my step-daughter, as there was about a yearlong period where we greeted each other with "And sometimes, we are Warriors!", and then laughed hysterically. (Off topic, but wasn't Chip Coffey Karen's nemesis on the TV show Will & Grace?)

I think all of these shows, and all "reality" shows in general, are scripted to a large degree and set up for a desired outcome. Compared to programming with real writers, editors, actors, etc., they are extremely cheap to produce and people keep watching them, so why not keep churning them out? The thing that amazes me about these paranormal shows is that nothing really ever happens. If you took out the ominous music, cast members gasping and creeping each other out, and the dramatic editing just before the breaks to make it seem like the scariest thing ever recorded is just seconds away, you have nothing more than grainy footage of dark rooms with absolutely nothing going on.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
There is nothing new here, "Ghost Hunters" constantly lies to the people.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Every one of the shows are faked. However, I think "some" occurrences are not faked.. hard to tell which is which though. By "some", I mean an extreme rarity.

As already stated, these are TV shows. It takes a tremendous amount of investment money and resources to get a show on air, and keep it running. For it to be so niche and so precise "hunt ghosts, show ghosts", is pretty risky. I've never seen a ghost, and I've been to some spooky places. These TV crews catch something every single time, but keep it "minor" in some cases so the "serious" events are "super serious" and potent.

However, I did enjoy some of these shows because I was always amused at how they interacted with the people and various interesting locations across the globe. Some of the locales are very interesting, the fabricated drama is not.
edit on 27-10-2010 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

I agree, the shows were fun to watch, though after these fakery scandals the magic is just gone for me.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
is it sad that i have all of those shows recorded on my DVR even though i know they are fake? i'm a little addicted to the suspense i guess.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hey, I've been watching a lot of Paranormal State recently and it's the reason why I searched it and found this site, which seems pretty neat by the way, so I'm glad I happened to stumble upon it.

I'm sorry for ressurecting this thread, I know how frowned upon it is.

I have always thought it was pretty corny.. for all the obvious reasons, so I wont touch on that, but I've been observing the clients closely and quite a bit of them seem legit. In the episode "I am 6" for example, the girl that is supposedly possessed would have to be quite a damn good actor to pull off her role in the episode, the puffy eyes and stuffed nose from her crying would be pretty hard to believably fake, even by a good actor

So my question is, mainly directed to those in the field of paranormal investigation, do you believe the client's claims are legit and the investigation itself is the fraud, or do you believe it is all just set up, the clients are merely good actors telling ghoulish tales?

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbzo
Hey, I've been watching a lot of Paranormal State recently and it's the reason why I searched it and found this site, which seems pretty neat by the way, so I'm glad I happened to stumble upon it.

I'm sorry for ressurecting this thread, I know how frowned upon it is.

I have always thought it was pretty corny.. for all the obvious reasons, so I wont touch on that, but I've been observing the clients closely and quite a bit of them seem legit. In the episode "I am 6" for example, the girl that is supposedly possessed would have to be quite a damn good actor to pull off her role in the episode, the puffy eyes and stuffed nose from her crying would be pretty hard to believably fake, even by a good actor

So my question is, mainly directed to those in the field of paranormal investigation, do you believe the client's claims are legit and the investigation itself is the fraud, or do you believe it is all just set up, the clients are merely good actors telling ghoulish tales?

They do hollywood it up with editing and those annoying sound effects and the lead guy, Ryan?,is on the melodramatic side. However, they mostly use standard paranormal investigation techniques and seem to have their hearts in the right place. A lot of the criticism has not been substantiated. Anyone can post a blog or on a forum and just make things up. Personally, I think some of their clients are mentally ill or attention seekers and they do decide inconclusive on more than a few cases. I did see the episode you mentioned and really havn't decided what to make of it but I don't think they (the crew) were in on it.

TAPS and Paranormal Cops are much more professional and objective. They spend a good deal of time trying to debunk than the others I've seen. But Ghost Adventures is a lot of fun to watch although I don't always approve of their heavy handed ways of antagonizing spirits. A lot of people here will call BS on these shows but they do use the same equipment/techniques as hundreds of other paranormal groups who don't seek the lime light.

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I've just got into watching this show and was looking for the episode(because it's listed on Wikipedia and local) later finding it was never completed because of the client/employer issues. Thanks to your post I see it goes even deeper with the accusations. They do claim to be a documentary shows, and is noted to be overproduced, as one would describe it.

Years ago I stopped watching ghost shows because as a believer of the paranormal(with some abilities), as well as being an investigator of local haunts, that the shows seemed too staged for my liking. It seemed that some shows were hoaxed with their evidence or the evidence, was well...stale(meaning no advancement to truth ie., knocks and air drafts in old buildings). Also, I don't even have to say it, but filled with drama! I'm more into the shows now because family, friends and I have a ghost hunting group(we're planning investigations for the coming months), to see the not only advances in equipment but how proof is progressing in the paranormal investigation field.

Paranormal State, relies heavily on the Clairvoyants as opposed to physical proof as evidence during investigating(or they just don't produce much). I've heard a lot on the crew being told before hand;
My current grype was with the Return to Six episode, where they didn't show the phone call but rather said it was around the time during the ganzfeld experiment with Chip saying the "six" demon contacted him. I wanna know, was it before or after the incident did the phone call come through, did he know?! it's hidden/masked info like that, that one can easily skip over during all the drama

I find myself more of a fan of Ghost Adventures, I've found they have good evidence, some of the best I've seen, esp., beyond all of the knocking and supposed unheard voices of other shows :p I like Ghost Hunters more now days. Most Haunted is alright. Ghost Lab, I wish they'd go more into depth with their investigating. Paranormal State, I'm conflicted but don't dislike the whole cast. Also, more Evps, instead of claims to hear talking please!
In the end, how can we disprove what we can't prove as far as evidence goes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join