It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood hits new highs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

“Avatar,” James Cameron’s 3-D science-fiction adventure for News Corp., was the top film in the U.S. and Canada with $75 million in sales as Hollywood posted its highest-grossing weekend ever. Receipts totaled $278 million.

U.S. ticket sales this year have surpassed $10 billion for the first time, according to Hollywood.com, buoyed by 3-D movies and the higher tickets prices they command, as well as increased attendance.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
As predicted, movies and TV will make a killing in an era of economic depression because people don't have money to go to vacations or avail of other forms of entertainment. Invest in the entertainment industry, folks!

edition.cnn.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...
abcnews.go.com...

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Maybe it also has to do with rising ticket prices due to the poor economy. But I think going to the movies instead of doing more expensive activities is pretty accurate. Although I know lots of people who don't go to the movies, but do subscribe to Netflix and watch things when they come out on DVD or on demand.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Just saw the movie today. It's the Red Dawn propaganda movie for the environmentalist movement.

For those that don't know, Red Dawn was the most recent admitted anti-soviet propaganda movie prior to the fall of the Berlin wall. Defense secretary Casper Weinberger was an advisor to the producers.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Nothing like escaping into a good movie when you can't afford the usual escape to some tropical island or faraway ski resort.

Yep, Hollywood is not hurting at all.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Isnt it Ironic how the razzamataz and glitzy lifestyle of Hollywood and Beverly Hills glitterati has been force fed to the masses for the past cpl of decades to make them feel good about spending beyond their means on junk that they dont need.

Remember the movie "Wall Street?" Greed is good... and all the Beverly Hills based junk TV... LOL Now where do we find ourselves? discussing the record box office takings of the latest Hollywood Blockbuster when banks are closing daily and folk are losing their jobs, houses and in some case futures.

Whilst central Europe is experiencing some of the worst flooding since records began, 11 are already drowned, what are the MSM reporting? Not how the already struggling insurance compnies and governments will pay for it. No, this is selective broadcasting at its finest, the markets are up and then theres the three day old story of a guy who set fire to his trousers on a plane at Detroit. Just another brick in the wall which surrounds us all so the next thing we will blindly accept is full body X-ray screening at airports.

Hollywood, World fashion & World news = mind control of the masses.
I am not having a pop at any of you guys, I just find it so sad what power and mind manipulation there is in all Media.

Have a happy and peaceful new year

PEACE,
RK

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

Funny you should mention Wall Street in a negative light, considering it was produced as a warning of things to come, and when viewed today does a great job of explaining how the economy got into this mess in the first place back in the 80's

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I know I probably spent more on movies this year ..... but I probably have seen less movies..

When I was a teen going to the movies cost like $4.50 .. this was only a few years ago .. We went last week and it was like $12.00 per ticket.

On top of that, foods insane, criminal almost...

I would hazard a guess they admitted less people this year, and still made more money.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

...in just 17 days, "Avatar" has surpassed $1 billion in the global box office. To put that in perspective, it took "The Dark Knight" pretty much its entire theatrical run just to make it to that milestone.

Overall, the top ten box office was up 70 percent from last year, when "Marley and Me" was barking its way into filmgoers' hearts.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Harry Potter's broom and Michael Bay's robots helped the Canadian box office soar past CAN$1 billion to reach a new record in 2009, according to data issued on Tuesday.

Canadians paid out CAN$1.01 billion ($970 million) for theater tickets last year, with most of the money going toward studio releases, said the Motion Picture Theater Associations of Canada and Zoom Services.

news.yahoo.com...

new topics

top topics

join