It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Aliens be influencing Hollywood?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lillydale

I am not disagreeing with you that these movies might be intended to have such embedded messages (or others), but there is an alternative. They are primarily just entertainment and escapism. I find it rather tedious that so many people think there MUST be a message in each and every movie (or at least each and every Sci-Fi movie) and that furthermore. it must be the message they are reading into the or interpreting from the movie rather than someone elses idea or interpretation.

Furthermore, it is possible the the creators of the movie (scriptwriter, director, actors) have many concepts that they incorporate when they make the movie with no simple "one line message" intended.

As far as District 9 goes, I think it is entirely conceivable the movie would mean many things to many viewers and I find many of the oft-repeated interpretations that this is obviously about South Africa's apartheid history to be just one of many possibilities. To some South African viewers, the movie was more clearly a comment about South Africa's present problems with migrants fleeing the exceptionally brutal and nasty regime in Zimbabwe.

It IS possible that every movie contains many layers of interpretation that are unique to every person who experiences it, just like a good novel, song performance or other work of art.

On the other hand, I do think it is an interesting idea that alien cultures may have capacities to seed concepts into our culture through our subconscious. But even if they were doing this, there is absolutely no reason this would be limited to such obvious means as influencing us to make a movie about aliens.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I don't believe aliens have a hand in what hollywood spits out. I think most of Hollywood is a projection of the human conciousess and what people are thinking about. Some of it of course is propaganda BS... but I think if you were From mars and trying to complete a research project on earthlings... Movies could teach you pretty much our habits, history and thought patterns, albeit everything is glorified... But that's how we see our selves.. Glorified and perfect... Ego ego ego. Dontchya think?

[edit on 29-12-2009 by jar11]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by downisreallyup

Could Aliens be influencing Hollywood?

Yesterday I went and saw Avatar, and a couple days earlier I watched District 9. After watching both movies, which I thought were both great, I was suddenly struck by something:

If I were in charge of Alien Public Relations, those two movies would be exactly what I would have produced! After watching them both I really came to see humanity as an ugly, barbaric, fear-ladened, money-grubbing, harsh, unenlightened bunch of thugs... and I think that is exactly what I was supposed to feel.

Saw D9 for the second time last night with some friends. You know what's remarkable about this movie? I'm a movie buff. There aren't many movies made since the 70's which I haven't seen. This is the first time I've rooted for an "establishment" soldier to die. You know, the "good" guys. Dead. The movie had a strong anti-authority streak that really piqued my interest.

In District 9 humanity was the host of an alien group, and what did we do? Well, we shuffled them into a terrible slum, and treated them like animals... not unlike what we have done to many of our own kind throughout the centuries.

In Avatar humanity was the guest of an alien world, and what did we do? Well, we raped and pillaged their land, disrespecting them completely, and always looking for the way to profit from them, even while pretending to actually like them or wanting to learn from them... not unlike what we have done to many of our own kind throughout the centuries.

Cameron was clearly drawing a parallel between European settlers in America and its natives. He could have chosen any group that abuses another group (one need only look at the hostilities within Africa for modern examples). However, he chose whites as the villains. Alright - but I already smell an agenda
Maybe some self-loathing as you put it.

The whole settler vs natives thing is way beyond the scope of this thread. However, ask yourself if the world has experienced a net benefit or detriment from the European settlement of America?

My question is this: why would TWO movies, each tacking this very different track, be produced and released now? I mean, Avatar was the most expensive movie ever made, and this masterpiece does wonders at showing just what a bunch of scumbags we really are. Is this just an elaborate piece of self-examination and self-loathing, or is there something bigger going on?

How can we find out more?

Well Cameron is very open about the politics of his movie. He wanted to show humans in exactly this sort of light. He's a master manipulator, just as all good film directors are.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluestreak53
reply to post by Lillydale

I am not disagreeing with you that these movies might be intended to have such embedded messages (or others), but there is an alternative. They are primarily just entertainment and escapism. I find it rather tedious that so many people think there MUST be a message in each and every movie (or at least each and every Sci-Fi movie) and that furthermore. it must be the message they are reading into the or interpreting from the movie rather than someone elses idea or interpretation.

While I do not disagree, these two movies in particular are meant to have a message according to the respective film makers. That is why I thought all of this speculation was so silly. You can just look into it and see they did indeed intend on putting out a specific message...as well as make a badass sci-fi movie.

I get ya though. I thought the same in high school. Not every short story is really a wild metaphor about incest or whatever it was we were 'interpreting' that week. I mostly go to the movies for the escapism and the pure enjoyment of the film that was made to entertain me. I make no secret of having enjoyed The Final Destination 3D more than anything else this year and not only was there no message, there was no story, no acting, no anything. It sure was fun though!

Furthermore, it is possible the the creators of the movie (scriptwriter, director, actors) have many concepts that they incorporate when they make the movie with no simple "one line message" intended.

As far as District 9 goes, I think it is entirely conceivable the movie would mean many things to many viewers and I find many of the oft-repeated interpretations that this is obviously about South Africa's apartheid history to be just one of many possibilities. To some South African viewers, the movie was more clearly a comment about South Africa's present problems with migrants fleeing the exceptionally brutal and nasty regime in Zimbabwe.

That is all possible but not the case here. It was specifically written about a place called District 6. Pretty neat coincidence, don't ya think?

It IS possible that every movie contains many layers of interpretation that are unique to every person who experiences it, just like a good novel, song performance or other work of art.

I would hope so and I am sure there are other, more specific messages to be found but...like I said, the film-makers have been pretty open about these two films. It would be much more enjoyable to watch or read it over and over and keep peeling through deeper layers of this and that. I am not against that.

On the other hand, I do think it is an interesting idea that alien cultures may have capacities to seed concepts into our culture through our subconscious. But even if they were doing this, there is absolutely no reason this would be limited to such obvious means as influencing us to make a movie about aliens.

I am with ya. Neat concept. Poor choice of examples is all. If this thread had been about all kinds of other movies, I would have had nothing to say. Unfortunately, the OP picked two movies that are very easy to his hypothesis by doing a little looking into the creators own words about their films.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Money decides what gets produced in hollywood ,simple,to wage a war against a country today in the information age you would start creating seperation amongst the general populace by encourageing the propogation of CONTRARY perspectives or views,as long as everyone is kept busy fighting for or struggling to grow their own personal "perception or view of reality"then we can never act as one cumulative force,WE ARE IN FACT FRACTURED.We have never in recorded history had a time when all of humanity acted as one cumulative creating force.

We are about to see it soon,there is a Global Democracy coming it is the nature of the evolution of humanity,it is progress.

In the meantime remember that when we take away all of the comerciallised selfcentered greedy virtues of a society based on money and the fiscal enslavement of billions ,we ARE LEFT WITH A WORLD WITH NOWHERE TO HIDE FOR THE PEOPLE OR BELIEF SYSTEMS THAT DO NOT ENDORSE HUMANITYS AND MANKINDS PROGRESS AND SURVIVAL,the bad guys have no hideouts left.

These institutions that are hindering humanities progress even now will fight to remain viable and for their existance,MONEY AND ITS INFLUENCE IS THE ONLY AMMUNITION THEY HAVE IN THIS BATTLE FOR THEIR SURVIVAL.

If we take away money from the equation we remove the cover ,we take away the environment that harbors this type and level of corruption essentially a global level.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join