It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Things That Became Obsolete This Decade (PHOTOS)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

How kind of you to provide an example of what i was talking about. NOWHERE in my post do i mention that i have great skills or mind as you so eloquently put it. I was merely making an observation of the quality of some of the posters in here. You dont have to be a genius to recognize stupidity. If anything stupid people know our own far better than the geniuses.

And so in closing please read the post and make sure even a simple minded moron such as myself can understand it.

Thank you, come again.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

#1--Calling
Yup, but I think this is something we need to rethink.
Texting is a far poorer choice for communication, both in the time it takes to convey a message and in the limited ability to convey/extract exact meaning. Those limitations are present in any form of text communication as we are much less able to understand some of the more complicated forms of thought when we are less the benefits of things like body language and more importantly, voice inflection. It opens the door to a greater chance of misunderstanding and makes an entirely human thing, more machine-like,

#2--Classifieds In Newspapers
Disagree. Newspapers and classified ads are further from death than is generally believed. In fact, I would expect a major comeback for the print media in the next decade as the electronic form is becoming less friendly to the average user.

#3--Dial Up Internet
Yes! And good riddance!

#4--Encyclopedias
No doubt that the Information Superhighway has killed off this once proud dinosaur.

#5--CD's
Disagree. CD-R disk sales have been robust as more and more PCs now come with CD writing capabilities from the factory and because memory longevity is still better on a CD than most flash hardwares/formats.

#6--Landline Phones
Oh dear… but this is true. The venerable old telephone is kaput.

#7--Film (And Film Cameras)
Agreed – mostly, but like vinyl music LPs, there are those who will still prefer the old to the new and so the market will survive, even if in the miniscule.

#8--Yellow Pages And Address Books
Assume you mean the paper and ink variety?

#9--Catalogs
Assume you mean the paper and ink variety?

#10--Fax Machines
Still being used for some documentation that requires this format for purposes of legality.

#11--Wires
That is kind of a generalized, sweeping statement. I personally do not think we have moved out of the age of the copper wire just yet.

#12--Hand-Written Letters
Regrettably, the art of handwriting has been in a slow death spiral. Hopefully, we will never wake to a day when all our technology has failed and we are left to rely upon ourselves for speech and tha hand written word to communicate.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

#8--Yellow Pages And Address Books...

Are you kidding me?

I get more phone books tossed on my porch than EVER.

This year I received 12 phone books!

Count them...12!!

Yeah, I rarely use them, but they show up year after year.

And the "friendly" phone book?

Are they kidding us?

You ever try to look up a Doctor in one of those monstrosities?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I would like to add to the list: Dating.

Nobody here in the Phoenix area dates. You know, like "would you like to go out for dinner, movie, etc..". Before I moved here, I had a decent dating life back in the midwest. After I moved here....(2003).....my dating life became a great black hole of anti-matter.

People in Phoenix don't date. They chat, they text, they hook-up, they booty call, they "facebook" each other....but they don't date.

I'm not the only woman I know of in Phoenix who complains of this pheomenon, either....we all are wondering what happened to our dating lives. Online dating seems to have completely changed things... for the worse. It's driven dating onto the computer, and men don't even LOOK at women out in the real world anymore. It's creepy.

Either Phoenix has really become too much like California (all fake people, no real people), or "dating" as we know it is also becoming obsolete in the world. (If it is not, if someone could direct me to a city where singles actually still go out on dates with each other, please let me know, and I'll move there in a flash!)

[edit on 28-12-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I think I may have finally found the definition to my question, "What is western culture"

Oblivious consumerism and the mass production to support it seems to be the key. Thanks!

For the most part, yes, the West can be defined by consumerism.

Why else would corporate America be running the country?

When I referred to politicians actually representing the citizens that was a part of it because our citizens would much rather play with their iPod, cell phone, on computers, and watch football on their digital TV than to actually pay attention and do something about politics.

This is why the analogy of Rome and the fall of the West as seen in the "New Rome" are so appropos, because just as the Senators and Caesar distracted Ancient Rome with the Flavian Amphitheatre, so does the shiny baubles distract society today because the vast majority of society would rather bitch, whine, and complain about politics than actually do something about them like entering the political arena.

I've seen that time and again and proven it too because the amount of apathy that is set in and rampant.

The majority would rather talk about violent revolution through picking up M-16's, blocks of C-4, and a hangman's noose, then legal, passive, and peaceful change but that's because people have a lack of patience and no desire to enter politics because over all they are lazy.

So, with that being said, I'm going to add another obsolete item to the list.

The politically minded individual.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
how are landline phones obsolete?
This isn't Finland right?

Landlines are NOT obsolete
hell wired/corded landlines aren't even obsolete

I HATE cordless phones, they die all the time and are useless if there is an electricity blackout!

Old school landlines rules!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Sometimes all things old become new again.

Check out this article.

www.boston.com...

Good article. Thanks for posting it. I used to love getting albums for Christmas and birthdays. My brothers and I would always wrap them and then joke about "I wonder what this is". My parents always listened to country and gospel so I would have to give them a detailed list with title, artist name, and a brief description of what the cover would look like. In those days it was John Denver, Eagles, Van Halen etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
It's driven dating onto the computer, and men don't even LOOK at women out in the real world anymore. It's creepy.

haha, like i keep saying, one day there will only be one gender.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i dont agree, i use most of those things all the time, i dont think that they will ever end, look at vinyl records, they are still going, and i love my film camera, still much better than a digital thing, although i use that as well

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Okay, CD's are definitely not obsolete. Musicians and record labels still push CDs more than ever, ESPECIALLY independent and small labels, because nowadays it's much easier to market their albums. Anyone who has a favorite underground artist or band, any DJ, and any producer will tell you CD's are not obsolete.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by nikiano
It's driven dating onto the computer, and men don't even LOOK at women out in the real world anymore. It's creepy.

haha, like i keep saying, one day there will only be one gender.

Most Men do (such as myself), but were so afraid of being branded perverts in these modern times, that we simply dont take the next step of saying "hi" for fear of being branded something were not. Dating ISNT like its portrayed in the movies.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Morality?

I agree with pay phones. Clark Kent has to look really hard for a place to change now.

I don't feel that the hand-written letter is that big of a loss. Save the trees.
Now if only we could get rid of printing on paper..

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Right! Whatever happened to free air and water at gas stations? Just wait. A free glass of water in an eatin' joint is going to have a price tag by the end of the next decade. Maybe even a breath-o-meter?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Not agreeing with all the items on the list, but still a good post, thanks

I would have to add a few as well..such as human decency towards one another in day to day life, and the utter lack of common sense people have anymore..I believe a member said similiar earlier on here, but it is the dumbing down of the masses, chemicals in foods help this a great deal.. and the balding is the same as for chemicals in food and the wearing of baseball caps.. which is a fairly new thing for people to wear so constantly as many do today.. (such as those known as chavs here in the UK)!
Hand written letters i agree with as well, and its one that upsets me, there is nothing better than a clean sheet of paper and a nice writing pencil or inkpen!! creativity doesnt seem to the flow the same otherwise.. if that makes any sense lol..

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I have a few CD's, but albums of music and collections of hits are passe'
I wonder what dummperman does now - no phone booths

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This list is only partially valid on a very personal level. At a business level, many of these are ESSENTIAL, depending on the size and type of business.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
CRT's and answering machines are the first that come to mind.

The guitar solo which I was beginning to think was becoming obsolete is now making a comeback.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

VHS - still alive in 2000., but clearly gone now. 8mm may still hang on. The thing about digital is that without maintenance, it will completely vanish, while those old physical photos and tapes will still be hanging out in a chest somewhere.

Wristwatches - clearly if you have a cellphone, you don't need a wrist watch, and it only serves as jewelry. Maybe it will live on as a nostalgia item, but clearly no longer needed.

Heh i can attest to the VHS one, we replaced our old video recorder after a transformer blow out down the street last year... trying to find, a normal video only recorder was almost impossible... its nothing but Hard Drive storage these days. We did manage to find an ok dvd video combo machine that works ok, but compared to our old Mitsubishi black diamond... the quality is quite poor. Although yes, at least the tapes will always be there.. heck ive got tapes that play as good as the day they where recorded from way back in '86 ... id like to see a flash card last that long on a dusty self.

At least the 300+ VHS tapes I got with old doco's and TV series on wont be completely unwatchable for a while longer.

My videorecorderprogramming-fu skillz are however now obsolete for the most part
... heh I smell a feminist plot damn it!

Also id much rather take the fraction of a second to lift and twist my wrist towards my face to tell the time rather than dive into a bag, glove compartment or pocket... followed by what ever it takes to turn the cellphone out of standby mode... Wristwatches, the original Man bling. Long my they live.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I am not sure if this was mentioned or not; but "brick and mortar" type business seem to have slimmed down in our current economic times especially during this past decade with rival websites such as AMAZON.COM, Ebay, etc.

The internet is my first choice on making a purchase on most things or at the very least perform my first price research.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Too bad about hand written letters.
There should be a movement to keep them around.
To me, a hand written letter is just like a personal signature.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join