It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Things That Became Obsolete This Decade (PHOTOS)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
As many stated common courtesy is extinct for most people, I still hold doors open for people in general.

Cane sugar soda has been replaced by that high fructose corn syrup crap, ick...unless you buy the special cane sugar brands.

Real friendship is dying, colleages are just that, you generally don't see them much after work, neighbors you rarely talk to anymore.

What about kids playing outside? that is becoming quite rare as well due to game consoles.

Everybody turned into a computer geek!

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Gz I love your disclaimer
What is funny about the op's list is that with one stroke the world would go belly up. A solar flare would take out most of the newer tech. Even the few land lines left are tied to cable lines now. Lose power lose the ability to make/receive calls. One step forward, and maybe sometime real soon three steps back.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

Jones Soda my frien.

Still original Cane Sugar, with a fortune under every cap!

I don't know if you can get them in the states but here in Canada it's very popular.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
WIRES????

Crap. I must be living in the past.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
LoL, I believe all of these things are still all around the world and being used at this moment by millions of people to either educate themselves, enjoy some free time or hone thier skills. My Brain>Huffington Post

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
#.. the knowledge to decipher between the words "there, they're and their".

we're going to need brain interfacing pretty soon, or eventually we won't understand anything we're reading anymore.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Some of these things might be obsolete, but most are at best obsolescent.

Texting has replaced calling for some of the people I know, but there are many people whom I must call where texting is not an option and where 160 characters is not sufficient.

Landlines are becoming less of a requirement for many people. I ditched mine five years ago with no regrets. However, businesses must use landlines until some reasonable alternative arises. Landlines are more reliable than cellular and for some that is very important, say in the case of alarm systems and other emergency services.

Wires? Not yet by a long shot. Just count the wires in your house. Man, I've got so many on my desk attached to my computer, phone, GPS, mouse, keyboard, cellphone, etc. that it's not even funny.

A lot of these things will be gone someday, but most are still alive and well.

[edit on 2009/12/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Cash.

I agree. I carry about $20 on me most of the time for those times when only cash will do, which is fairly rare, except for my club activities. I keep some ones in my car for the panhandlers who look honest and that's about it.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hmm for me and my country...

1. eh what exactly is 'calling'?.. if you mean texting made voice communication obsolete... give me a human voice with emotion and personality over some arbitrary langauge and communication destrooying rubbish text speak any day. Texting... the great destroyer of civilization of the 21st century

2. Still around

3. Still around, given we have an expensive slow capped adsl system in my country dial-up is still a viable option if you just want to do bog standard net stuff and ample people still have dial-up plans simply for that.

4. Sure the Net is big but it doesnt have everything on it, also try finding info on older material sometimes on the net... its almost non existent for some subjects, thats where an old encyclopedia comes in real handy... unfortunately in todays society anything that didnt come out tomorrow is considered useless and pointless... the net aint gonna be there all the time
written material is like gold, store it and protect it, since you never know what might happen tomorrow.

5. Ill give you that, but they're still an option.

6. In America maybe (i know my cousins in the states say cellphones are cheaper than landlines over there) but my country still has a solid landlines system, i dont use nor have a cellphone, landlines never run out of power, they cost less (in my country) and you dont have to carry around high powered receiver next to your rod and tackle. Also... if im out, they cant get me, landlines give you at least a bit of privacy and quite time when you want it, humans are to damned dependent on those little boxs they carry around with em... heck my sisters go to pieces when they cant use theirs. Sick really... im Cellphone independent

7. Give me a good video cam over some digital any day, sure the digitals have merits like large storage size and the like but the video is alot more solid to me, id rather have my memories on a more secure and safer medium, not one that if I pass a large electrical source I might erase the special moments. Once prices drop enough and HD becomes the norm, Ill then agree.

8. Still have em in my country

9. Still as prolific as ever...

10. Thank goodness, hated em.

11. yeah... ok, somehow i dont think so, unless im not thinking of the right type of 'wire'

12. Maybe... if you dont count the huge number of people who still write physical letters in the world... not to mention its nicer and more personal to receive a letter than a email. Oh for the yester years of penmanship where a good handwriting style was something to be admired for... can people even write these days?

To me all those things where made obsolete this decade, however none of them ARE obsolete... if that makes sense.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I write letters everyday. I go through about 2.5 book of stamps a month. I write my grand mother and my great aunts. I write my parents . Hell I write all the time.

I have a land line and NO cell phone, they don't work out here in the sticks.

I have a fax in my home.

I listen to CD's.

I don't have a bank account, so I use cash everywhere.

Maybe I'm old school or something, but it works for me. Oh and I am in my thirties so I'm not that old.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomataprice

I'd say your old school. You even think Bush is still president.

Just kidding.

A lot of rural people here in New Mexico are still old school because the technology hasn't reached their area in ways that are as reliable as they are in urban areas.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Another

"Freedoms"

None of that left for me, i had some sort of life 11 years ago, but it got chewed up by power mad government people, wanting to wreck my life.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

"Freedoms"

Amen to that!

I remember when I was young and I could walk anywhere at any time and be safe. I used to get up and throw my paper route at 5:00 AM in Shreveport, LA.

Now, there isn't a safe neighborhood in that city, day or night, and I certainly wouldn't let my teenagers do anything at 5:00 AM that involved walking or riding a bicycle.

When I was discussing these things with my dad, he responded immediately, "Yeah! It was called freedom."

He was so right.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The letter is still one of the most powerful weapons in your arsenal.

Personally, I had a letter from the courts mailed to me (relating to a minor parking fine) that gave me the shivers and affected my sleep.

Whereas the I had an email from the Inland Revenue recently asking me about a late payment on my tax (it was my accountant's cock-up) to the tune of $10K. It failed to raise a heartbeat.

My point is that a well written letter, signed, on thick stock still has an air of importance to it.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I'd say your old school. You even think Bush is still president.

Just kidding.

I know that is funny but I am so old school that I can't figure out how to change it!

So if you want to help this old schooler out, that would be great.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Gunter

That's why my boss, a very intelligent man, uses e-mail for everyday communications with clients and suppliers but uses nicely written letters for special cases.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
what about radio and tv

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

oh, this must be one of them “my generation is better than yours” posts

I have to say I agree with the majority of your list, tothetenthpower. A few other things that are obsolete, as far as I see, or almost. 1) An Honest politician - Almost extinct, unless you've found a Do-Do lately.

it`s an oxymoron. besides new gen. politicians learned their skills from the old school ones.

2) Common sense - Basic human thought of how things work.
my grandma is like a monkey with a grenade around a computer. but i bet i`d be the same way trying to light up a fire in tundra. ever heard of relativity of things?

3) Real intelligence - Based on unbiased thoughts, without looking something up online, lack of knowledge of history falls into that category as well.

it`s rather ironic you should talk about it when you are confusing intellect with erudition. google was invented not exactly because current gen. is stupid. In dem olden days people relied on heavy encyclopedias. it`s not like they were born with that knowledge.

5) Real service - Food service, Service Stations, almost any other part of the service industry.

i prefer automated checkout stations when there`s a huge line at a register. how`s bad? i dont know.

6) Maps - Everyone is now relying on Tom-Tom or some other generic G.P.S. device.

you can get all types of paper maps from books stores. today they got a wealth all imaginable types of them on print. again i dont understand how are paper maps better than digital ones. btw, i am not biased towards one or another.

7) Real communication skills - Slang, E-Talk (LOL, OMG, WTF), lack of content, context, and intent within language, and Ebonics have taken over.

there have always been people like that around. in fact tons of them. you just didnt encounter them in amount the nets lets you.

8) Common courtesy - Rarely do I see a man hold a door for a woman anymore, it happens, but it is not common as it once used to be.

yeah, right. it`s like one of those stories of how New-Yorkers are supposedly rude…I just laugh at these petty stereotypes.

9) Opening doors - At almost any corporate chain, the electronic eye has separated you from opening their door, and the Wal-Mart greeter is a senior there to make you feel welcome. The hotel doorman is almost extinct as well.

I hate doormen. They make me feel guilty. I can open the doors myself. How about those self-appointed door openers in front of your local 7-11? They want some change for that. Does it warm your heart?

10) Actual street skills - People have become so "connected" via the online world, they have lost street skills, unless they are an idiot thug, gang banger, or drug-using punk.

What are those street skills you speaking of?

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

11) Actual and real pay - The generic paycheck, with a 5 cent, or 10 cent raise, lack of corporate loyalty to you when you're loyal to them.

Work for your own self. Nobody owes you nothing.

12) The Family Unit - Nowadays, the family unit is dieing not because of a lack of effort, but because of the false electronic "connectivty", the downfall of the family unit through lack of real leadership, ethics, morals, and real beliefs are slowly following as well.

I just had to yawn at this. Yeah another police of made up morals. Moral Orel is a great show for people who love talking about morals. Quite an eye opener.

13) Cook books - So much more people are not breaking out Betty Crocker cook books, but instead the ready-made cake-in-a-box, Hamburger Helper, Tuna Helper, or some other generic food. The art of cooking is being lost, and instead watching it on televsion on "Reality TV". The are actually cooking a meal through growing your own vegetable, and making a meal from the from scratch recipe.

What seems to be a problem here? For pete`s sake, there enough f*cking restaurants around. Also just google them recipes and bake away, dude. I promise ya, you will be buried under the avalanche of great recipes. It`s just a matter of who can cook and who cant. I betcha there were enough people in dem olden days who couldn’t cook either. And they try to copy them cooks on TV because it`s fun. People who don’t have time or like me, who really hate fooling around kitchen or kitchen garden for that mater, don’t bother with “stuff from scratch”

14) Living life - American Idol, "Reality TV", "Big Brother", "The Real World", and sit-coms instead of breaking out a board game of Monolopy, Sorry, or Life. Long dieing are hiking, mountain climbing, exploring the world for yourself.

When was the last time you went skiing? Last I checked the majority of snowboarders and skiers at my fave spot were young people. The reason you don’t know this is because you yourself don’t practice what you preach.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by marsvolta]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
WIRES????

Crap. I must be living in the past.

Me too, I went out of my way to wire my house for internet, I don't trust the wireless connection.

About cells phones, up until around a year ago I would get mad at my family and friends for always texting, I would watch them do it and just get irritated. I don't know exactly when it happened but I rarely call anyone anymore, anything I have to say usually gets said over a text, damn it how did I get sucked in too?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join