It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Schools' War Against Chocolate Milk

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Do NOT screw with a man's chocolate.
Chocolate is a religious sacrament.

It's like pizza and sex: there is no such thing as bad chocolate.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by above
Could you please expalint to me why chocolate milk in the states is so fattening when over here in europe it is not?

Two reasons: High fructose corn syrup and low-fat milk. That's the fattening part.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
is this chocolate milk we re talking about or some sort of industrial by product that contains soya with high levels of estrogen and corn syryp and other nonsence marketed as milk with chocolate flavour ?

all we had in school was water , milk and every now and then lemonade if one wanted to indulge in sweets one had to go to the local superstore or visit a cafeteria where you buy you own stuff

but assuming this is an american school i can only presume that even the potatoes comes canned in corn syryp....

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I can't jump on this bandwagon...I love milk, white or chocolate, and so does my family. Here is my argument...if milk IS so bad for you then why:

Did my great grandmothers live to 91 & 94 and drank milk daily?
Did my great grandfathers live to 88 & 90 and drank milk daily?
My grandparents 88 & 87 and still alive at 78 and 76 and drank/still drink milk daily?
Me I am 34 and in great shape and LOVE milk?

Here is the common denominator....ACTIVE lifestyles!!!

All of my family were farmers, military types, workers...and active. We didn't sit for hours on end in front of computers, video games, tv, etc...we were simply active!!!!

Milk has health benifits and sure it has bad byproduct, but it shouldn't be yanked off shelves at schools...rather kids should be yanked outside more or put to work a bit at home!

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
OK. So what other species consumes milk beyond infancy? None by choice. Cats and pigs drink milk cause somebody feeds it to them and they eat it or starve. Cats fed milk get kidney disease and die early painful deaths. Pigs eat milk and die early painful deaths in slaughter houses.

As kids we used to chant:

I hate Bosco,
Bosco poisons me.

Mama tried to put it in my milk
to try to poison me.

I fooled mama
and put it in here tea.

Now there is no more mama
to try and poison me.

So if anybody tries to give you milk just switch glasses when they are not looking like in that Abbot and Costello routine or in the Princess Bride because if you are old enough to read you are to old to suckle some cow's teat!

Do they even still sell Bosco?

[edit on 27-12-2009 by urwatu8]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
If you guys hate white milk then how do you eat your cereal in the morning? I dont eat cereal or drink milk but I make sure to drink fruit juices because soda is just too harmful to your health.

I will eat the cereal with the milk in it, but I will not drink the milk.

If I can, I will put chocolate milk in my cereal, and scarf the whole thing down

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

Yup I gotta agree, we are a milk drinking active family and a little sugar never killed anybody. Especially not a little carton container with one meal a day.

However, I would like to see the move to whole milk fresh from the cow with added chocolate powder, preferably the real stuff. Full benefit, no byproduct, sept for the fats, however with a good overall diet and exercise that doesn't cause a problem.

Never met any REALLY obese farm types. A lot of well build large folk, but overweight? Hardly.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
I can't jump on this bandwagon...I love milk, white or chocolate, and so does my family. Here is my argument...if milk IS so bad for you then why:

Did my great grandmothers live to 91 & 94 and drank milk daily?
Did my great grandfathers live to 88 & 90 and drank milk daily?
My grandparents 88 & 87 and still alive at 78 and 76 and drank/still drink milk daily?
Me I am 34 and in great shape and LOVE milk?

I'm going to guess here, but I'd say it has more to do with what you (and they) don't eat than what you (and they) do.

Oh, and don't forget that this is a war against Low-Fat Chocolate Milk, not regular milk.

Here is the common denominator....ACTIVE lifestyles!!!

All of my family were farmers, military types, workers...and active. We didn't sit for hours on end in front of computers, video games, tv, etc...we were simply active!!!!

You're basing this from anecdotal observations. How do you know the milk wasn't making you and your family healthy, or some other factors, for that matter? What about the active people that don't live to 85 and aren't healthy? Trust me, there are plenty of sick, unhealthy farmers, military types, and generally active people.

What about the sedentary individuals that consume,or don't consume, milk and yet are healthy and long lived?

What does being active have to do with drinking milk? Just curious....

Milk has health benifits and sure it has bad byproduct, but it shouldn't be yanked off shelves at schools...rather kids should be yanked outside more or put to work a bit at home!

Why? Is playing outside and making them work harder at home going to solve the problem of unhealthy children?

Here's some food for thought. Does being active make you thin or does being thin make you active? And does being sedentary make you fat or does being fat make you sedentary?

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by rcwj1975

Yup I gotta agree, we are a milk drinking active family and a little sugar never killed anybody. Especially not a little carton container with one meal a day.

But if one container has 25g of sugar (lactose and sucrose) and the meal consumed alongside the chocolate milk is a carb rich meal, then you're looking at one meal that can do damage if eaten everyday.

A little sugar won't kill you, but daily consumption will cause obesity, heart disease and diabetes, and possibly even cancer, all of which will kill you slowly.

However, I would like to see the move to whole milk fresh from the cow with added chocolate powder, preferably the real stuff. Full benefit, no byproduct, sept for the fats, however with a good overall diet and exercise that doesn't cause a problem.

I agree. Use whole milk which lightens the glycemic load due to the fat content. Plus, many of the vitamins and minerals in whole milk are directly or indirectly dependent on the fat content in order to absorb properly.

Never met any REALLY obese farm types. A lot of well build large folk, but overweight? Hardly.

Come to Texas....obese farmers are everywhere. You gotta realize that physical labor/exercise builds an appetite and makes you hungrier. The idea that exercising works to make you lose weight by causing a negative energy balance doesn't make sense. Remember the saying, "Work up an appetite."

-Dev

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
I remember when chocolate milk was just part of lunch.

We also had a meat, vegetable (or two), and a starch. Along with that was usually a fruit of some kind and dessert (which was served in those 2 1/2 inch wide bowls instead of a half keg sized bucket.

The chocolate milk was the same as the white but it had a little chocolate syrup in it instead of a chemistry experiment like todays milks do.

We were all mostly skinny and healthy back then. Of course this was the old days when television had three channels and christmas trees had those big lights that came in three colors and food was good for you.

Yes, and the reason we stayed fit was because we use to do this thing called "Go outside and play" - Now kids come in and get on the computer or flop down in front of a playstation so I guess the "gobment" has had to adjust their diet to accomodate. I remember coming home from school and getting on bikes and running around outside until time to come in for homework and dinner.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by maybee

I also remember when there were less powerlines up and kids were healthier and thinner. Surely the rise in powerlines has a direct effect on making kids obese. It's easy to find correlations/associations, but causality is another thing.

I do remember when the thought of having a gym membership was ridiculous; when only the health freaks and bodybuilders lifted weights; when athletes were the only people exercising regularly. Of course, that was the before the 60's and 70's, before the obesity and diabetic "epidemics."

If a lack of physical activity is causing children to become fat and unhealthy, then why do we observe a possitve association between obesity rates in adults and amount of physical activity (exercise) over the last 30 years? More and more gym memberships and yet we see more and more fatty's.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
I remember when chocolate milk was just part of lunch.

We also had a meat, vegetable (or two), and a starch. Along with that was usually a fruit of some kind and dessert (which was served in those 2 1/2 inch wide bowls instead of a half keg sized bucket.

There have been studies that show just how dramatically the size of a portion increased over the past decades...

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
NYC Schools Cut 4.6 Billion Calories Switching Milk

an. 28 (Bloomberg) -- New York City public schools cut 4.6 billion calories and 422 million grams of fat a year from students’ diets by eliminating whole milk, a switch that districts are adopting in the U.S. fight against obesity.

Whole milk was cut out in 2006, and fat-free chocolate milk replaced low-fat chocolate milk, according to a study that’s the first to measure how banning whole milk affects school nutrition. Students didn’t drink less of the healthier options, and average milk consumption increased 1.3 percent from 2004 to 2009, researchers said in the report published today by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“The goal of the milk policy change for NYC public schools was to reduce a key source of dietary calories and fat without reducing the total amount of milk purchased,” wrote the study’s authors, from the New York health department and department of education. “Other school systems can use these results to guide changes to their own school food policies.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The old school of thought of energy balance is losing ground. How any health authority can suggest that watered down, sugar-rich milk is healthier than nutrient-rich, whole milk based solely on caloric density is beyond me.

Milk, Dairy Fat, Dietary Calcium, and Weight Gain

Conclusions: Contrary to our hypotheses, dietary calcium and skim and 1% milk were associated with weight gain, but dairy fat was not. Drinking large amounts of milk may provide excess energy to some children.

Children Who Often Drink Full-Fat Milk Weigh Less, Swedish Research Finds

Eight-year-old children who drink full-fat milk every day have a lower BMI than those who seldom drink milk. This is not the case for children who often drink medium-fat or low-fat milk. This is one conclusion of a thesis presented at the Sahlgrenska Academy.

The study showed that children who drink full-fat milk every day weigh on average just over 4 kg less.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Also, keep in mind epidemiology only provides associations.

-Dev

[edit on 28-1-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
There are plenty of quality sugar free chocolates & low carb chocolates that this milk can be made from.

I know because i am a diabetic.

Banning chocolate milk no, but requiring it to contain under a set amount of carbs that can be done.

Me i like my chocolate mixed with natural peanut butter and cinnamon

Heat up natural peanut butter in a microwave till liquid and mix sugar free chocolate or low carb chocolate and ground cinnamon.

Health benefits.
www.prohealth.com...
peanut-butter.org...
www.monumentalmassage.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join