It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bit of a comic rant here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
You know what I can't stand? When someone doesn't dig any deeper into comics than the big names and then pretends to know the comic world...I mentioned this in response to another thread but my goddess...there IS a comic world outside of Wolverine and Gambit!

GAH! It chaps my ass :-p

So let's here what indy comics or non-mainline comics you enjoy

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I enjoy Haunt, and walking Dead by Robert Kirkland. Wormwood was pretty good, don't remember who did it off the top of my head.
The graphic novel of Fafnir and the Gray Mouser was cool.
Boom Studios' Zombie tales is a good series to.

Victorian Zombies, with Sherlock Holmes is pretty funny, think it's done by Wildstorm. President Evil by AE was pretty good to.

There's a few others, but none else I can think of off the top of my head.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I understand. But someone like me, only collected x-men(long before the recent popularity) because I liked the story. But I am not a comic collector.

Plus it is a pricey hobby these days and I couldn't even keep up with the x-men.

And there are a lot of comics, it can be quite intimdating for a beginner. So instead of getting mad, gently push someone and say, these are cool.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
LOBO. Straight up. Best comic ever. IMO.
Underground comics were cool, but I haven't bought any in a long time. Years.

But, I remember alot of Death Machine, and Vertigo classics.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Gotta say to, a lot of y favorites from the major publishers are one shots, or limited series, like the Marvel Noir, or Marvel 1602.
Marvel zombies was a fun run, to.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I used to be a big fan of The Spectre back in the day. It's a DC character, but well off the beaten path, so to speak...

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I understand. But someone like me, only collected x-men(long before the recent popularity) because I liked the story. But I am not a comic collector.

Plus it is a pricey hobby these days and I couldn't even keep up with the x-men.

And there are a lot of comics, it can be quite intimdating for a beginner. So instead of getting mad, gently push someone and say, these are cool.

Yeah this rant of mine wasn't meant to be mean spirited...if it was taken as such then I will apologize...my purpose was that it upset me when I would hear a person who claims to be a comic book fan and only knows a couple of main names

Yeah somebody new could start with Wolverine or whatever they choose but then I consider them a Wolverine fan and not a comic book fan. I will do soemthing that is a bit of a rarity in these parts and take your advice...I will try and steer these folks to some good indy comics...well said. Few people on the internet can admit when they are somewhat or all-the-way wrong...but that is a WHOLE other rant :-p

Nice titles thus far

Thanks for the responses

-Kyo

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
As soon as they stopped making The Maxx, I pretty much fell off the comic bandwagon. It was gritty and raw and I loved it.

I did like Spawn when it first came out too. Now its just beating a dead horse.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'll admit to being someone who used to be quite involved in the world of comics at one time ..... a long, long time ago. I can't pinpoint exactly what happened. I can't put my finger on exactly why I simply stopped enjoying comics. I just did.

Don't get me wrong. I still "loved" comics. It's a wonderful medium. A simply amazing form of expression. It's just that I simply stopped "enjoying" them and, perhaps, the business surrounding them. About a year ago, however, my interest in comic books -- especially "indie" books -- was rekindled through my participation in the first "on-line" comic book convention
-- Face Book Comic Con. It was started by legendary comic book artist, Mike Nasser ( aka Netzer) and it has grown considerably.

One needs to be a Face Book member to join this group but I have found it worth it as I have connected and, often, I have made many reconnection's with the Comic Creators. Face Book Comic Con boasts quite an active roster of Comic Creators from artists, writers and publishers -- independent as well mainstream. With numerous panels and on-line interviews, my interest in comics has been heartily piqued through this surprisingly intimate interaction with some very talented individuals.

This might be worth checking out.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I also used to collect comics. Still have a hefty stack. It is intimidating to go into a shop now a days as I am completely lost. Vertigo comics was good. I love reading the Sandman and Death. Up until the late 90's I stopped collecting. Nice thread. I used to have a couple of Evil Ernie and Lady Death comic books.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Grant Morrison: Kid Eternity

Transmetropolitan

Lobo

The Maxx

Jamie Hewlitt : Tank Girl

Peter Bagge: HATE!

Evan Dorkin : Fun with Milk and Cheese

Needless to say, my collection isn't nessecarily "normal"...but it helped keep me amused through though rainy Seattle winters back in the day.

I've more or less dropped out of collecting in recent years, mainly due to the recent influx of *yawn* and less than groundbreaking art with the majors.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Covers every topic we discuss here and is really amazing and unique in the world of comics.

The Invisibles

As Kevin Smith said "Better than going to the movies"
Preacher

Awesome... Spider Jerusalem is the man
Transmetropolitan

Classic..... amazing artwork and some fantastically atmospheric stories too.
The Sandman

A little Indie, not very well known comic called Hicksville, that's a cool comic.
Hicksville

Amazon link here

A few recent ones like The Boys and Punisher Max, Both by Ennis were cool too.

Plenty of other little one shot, random ones too... but can't be arsed to list them all.

[edit on 30/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It's been a long time since I have been into the comic scene. And even when I was, I wasn't very into it.

I used to have a lot of Johnny The Homicidal Maniac.

G.I. Joe

The Tick.

Spawn.

I used to also have a series called "On a Pale Horse" It was an adaptation of Piers Anthony's novel of the same name.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

JTHM is pretty cool man.... I have the TPB of all of his stuff.... It's pretty funny actually, If a little disturbing.

Book

I read a lot of books so It's nice to read comics too, I find the art to be as worthwhile as any of the stories.

[edit on 30/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yea, a old girlfriend turned me on to JTHM, (after nailing a stuffed bunny head to her door.)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
in a word GRENDEL. My all time fav, if nothing else read devil by the deed and black, white, and red dealing with Hunter Rose.
Earth X was pretty good along with Kingdom Come for gaphic novels.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A lot of one shots or miniseries from the main publishers. I stopped collecting main storylines when they had the clone Saga and the Executioners Song. Those 2 events did it for me. As for non-main stream hers my short list. I’m pretty sure I missed a lot.

Punisher MAX
Girls
AVP anything
DMZ
Rising Star
Hellshock
Alice
Transmet
Astro City
Man-o-War

On a personal note- I refuse to give Marvel ANY money from 2010 going forward. They killed Nightcrawler, who is my all-time favorite character. Almost killed colossus (again) and totally just screwed over the X-continuity.

new topics

top topics

join