It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Phil: Psychology for the masses or charlatan?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I would really like some customer feedback here to the "pop" psychology of Oprah and Dr Phil.
I agree with much of what he says, but what he says on "tough love" has actually killed a lot of people.
Otherwise, what are some other opinions?

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
hello,

A good friend of mine named neal sutz has had 2 run ins legally with dr. phil, he sued both times and won. there is way too much to go into
on the matters, but lets just say dr. phil really isnt a doctor at all!
he is a fraud and give misleading advice to people. google neal sutz
and check out the whole story.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Can you tell us what you mean"tough love", and what he says on it, that is responsible for killing people.

What do you mean by the term, and what do you mean by killed alot of people?

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

The man's own marriage failed. That says just how much he can help others.

Also, anyone who can be entertaining as a doctor helping others, isn't a good doctor. The entertaining factor overshadows and detracts from the actual advice and help.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well, considering the fact that all domestic problems are a product in and of themselves, being unique to themselves, the man is obviously a charlatan.
You can't give "general" psychological advice. It is something that needs to be dealt with one problem at a time.

And yeah, his wife divorced him.

He is a fraud and I'm surprised anyone would even bring this thread to ATS. I thought he was pretty much understood to be a fraud.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Sanctioned by the Texas State Board in 1989 for an “ethical violation” involving an “inappropriate relationship” with a 19-year-old patient, “Dr.” Phil was stripped of his license to practice psychology. (To date, Dr. Phil has not completed the conditions required by the Board of Examiners of Psychologists to regain his license, and remains unlicensed to practice psychology. Anywhere.) This actually turned out to be a positive career development, as it allowed him to enter the prodigiously dickish world of legal consulting.

Dr. Phil is t.v. drama, nothing more. Read this for fun:
dickipedia
I'd not trust my issues, if I had any, to this joker...

ETA:
Didn't know his wife divorced him... Oh wait, was there one before Robin?

[edit on 27-12-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Non americans may not know him, as he is on uk tv but i never watch.

Tv is tv and is very powerful, and people get into all these shows quite easily.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
never mind.
mis-read the statement I responded to.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Personally hate the man. Con artist is the aura he throws off.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
I would really like some customer feedback here to the "pop" psychology of Oprah and Dr Phil.
I agree with much of what he says, but what he says on "tough love" has actually killed a lot of people.
Otherwise, what are some other opinions?

Oprah's ultimate agenda is the 'new age' religion. I believe this is the reason that it was announced that she will be stopping her show soon. IMO, it's to further her work and take on a bigger/different role in pushing this 'new age' thinking on the masses.

It's been stated that she is the most powerful woman in the world today. I believe this to be true. Whatever agenda she has.....she's got a lot of pull on people.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Can you tell us what you mean"tough love", and what he says on it, that is responsible for killing people.

What do you mean by the term, and what do you mean by killed alot of people?

"Tough love" is a term and and organizational approach to addiction or unwanted behaviour. Some say it helps addicts by removing the "enabling".
Mostly it works to great effect, especially when treatment is offered as an alternative. But frequently it ends in family members being tossed out into the streets unecessarily, thus compounding the problem.
Here in SA (where treatment is prohibitavely expensinsive) religious groups and other hardliners may discard their kids for experimentation, and several have died on the streets.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by halfoldman]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by shasta9600

people buy into the con, as they do not know that someone made oprah. You do not get there without someone helping you.

Thats why newagers are not thinking at all by looking at her. She was made to be that big.

People should think.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by shasta9600

people buy into the con, as they do not know that someone made oprah. You do not get there without someone helping you.

Thats why newagers are not thinking at all by looking at her. She was made to be that big.

People should think.

True statement.

One world 'new age religion'......global government.

I can't help but believe that she will be used for a big role.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by trig_grl
hello,

A good friend of mine named neal sutz has had 2 run ins legally with dr. phil, he sued both times and won. there is way too much to go into

Thanks, interesting case: 'man wants to sue Dr Phil for $100 million': www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I don't believe in the obsession that you have to have a degree to be good at what you do.

That being said: it takes many sessions to solve problems, not one show.

I don't believe he has killed anybody, but if you watch on his show, he hooks people up with local doctors. It is not like he gives a half hour of advice and sends people on his way.

And I don't believe failures eliminate a person either. How do you expect them to know if they never experienced it themselves? Which is why they hire former drug addicts to be drug counselors.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I don't believe in the obsession that you have to have a degree to be good at what you do.

That being said: it takes many sessions to solve problems, not one show.

I don't believe he has killed anybody, but if you watch on his show, he hooks people up with local doctors. It is not like he gives a half hour of advice and sends people on his way.

And I don't believe failures eliminate a person either. How do you expect them to know if they never experienced it themselves? Which is why they hire former drug addicts to be drug counselors.

Would you allow someone without an MD to operate on you?
Is it implied here that Dr Phil doesn't have a degree? That would be news indeed.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by trig_grl
hello,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr.Phil really isn't a doctor at all?
Well, after visiting Wikipedia i would have to disagree with you.
For someone who isn't a doctor he sure has spent a lot of time
at college.

It turns out Dr. Phil earned a bachelors degree at Midwestern University.
He continued on to earn a PhD in clinical psychology at the University of
North Texas.

You make Dr. Phil sound like a college dropout.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Truth be told Dr. Phil has helped many people in his career.
You conveniently left all that out.
This smear thread will not change my mind about Dr. Phil.
He is good man with a wonderful family.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
i signed in just to reply to this,,,,,,

i hate dr. phil,,, and his accent and how he lectures and knocks people...

funny,,,, he would always quote how great he and his wife's marriage is and blah, blah , blah

i just heard they're getting divorced,,,,,,, you mean the smart old doc,,, couldn't fix it,,, or lay out how it could work????

gee go figure!!!!!

also---- the best part of all

he's a 50 year old ,,,, balding, overweight man,,, right??????

i saw not long ago he was selling his $300,000 red ferrari

talk about little man syndrome,,,,, or mid life crisis

apparently do as i say,,, not as i do

also---- he met and got hooked up with oprah,,,, during oprah's beef scandal,,, when she got sued for slander
he was her lawyer

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by shortywarn

You just heard Dr. Phil is getting a divorce?

Where did you hear that? The National Enquirer?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Where is all this hatred coming from?

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

No seriously, really?
Well as far as I recall Dr Phil started out as "that cracker" on Oprah.
I bet Tiger Woods will be counselled soon, to make an extra buck for the whole "talk" brigade and himself. I see a book coming.
As far as I'm concerned the man has enough money, and if he wants some ho's on the side that's his problem.
But no, now we're all gonna hear how men are "different" and should be helped to "change" from the Hollywood Doctors.
It's really no different to a "John Edwards-type" psychic, just a shallow trick without proof or results. People like that don't give us hope or anything, they're taking advantage of us in our most vulnerable hours.
As such Dr Phil is one of the biggest abusers and jerks in the whole wide universe.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join