It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangers of Neutering your dog

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Great points

What I HAVE found is that vets are like human doctors. They know what they know, but they don't always have the latest and best information. My vet cringes at the thought of me feeding my dogs raw meat with bones, but in my opinion, it's one of the best and the most natural diet for dogs as long as it's not COOKED bones.

You are exactly right many human doctors are not up on the newest methods. Especially western medicine. For them the answer is always a pill. Seems the same way with vets. i know people who have their pets on 3 or 4 medications for all sorts of things. From allergies to anxiety.

What they dont realize is that a lot of pet allergies come from that cheap dog food that masquerades as quality. Science Diet, what a joke. I'm not sure what "science" they are using to determine what they should put in their food but I think they might just spell it different:

$¢ien¢e

Here is the ingredient list for Science Diets Adult Lamb and Rice.

1st ingredient-Lamb meal(ground up lamb waste, lowest quality meat product)
The next 7 ingredients are grains! Wheat, Corn gluten, etc(this is junk filler, and is not what dogs should be eating) Its a dog not a cow(not that they should really be eating grains. Grass fed is the way to go, but thats another thread)

Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

So you are feeding your dogs the B.A.R.F. diet? I have heard really good things about this, but I hear its a lot of work. I havent gone this far yet.

Here is what my dog gets, Canidae

Not as good as BARF but its grain free and much better than a lot on the market. And the price is only slightly above $cience Diet and Iams(rich). Its worth it for the health of your dog.

I started this thread so that people would be more aware of the dangers of neutering at too early of an age. And to point out that vets are not giving all the info. Some of this information has been around for a long time so i dont entirely buy the fact they are just not up to date on the science.

You would not believed how many people attack me when I tell them that I dont neuter my pets. They act like i'm a criminal.

I understand that a lot of pets wind up in shelters because there are so many but I dont understand what the end game of neutering is? So lets say we are successful in neutering all dogs, then no more dogs. And if we only had licensed breeders, there are always going to be people who buy dogs and then decide they dont want them. So we either not allow anyone to have dogs as pets or we accept the fact that some are going to be put down. I think the licensing process to own a dog should be more strict. There are lots of big questions regarding this subject and the ownership of animals in general.

Anyway, thanks for your contributions to the thread I appreciate your input.

Regards.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I was feeding my dogs primal raw. That's meat and bones only. With 4 large dogs, it ended up being too much work for me so I switched them to Wellness Core. It's one of the the best kibbles on the market and the best one available to me in my area. I feed them raw once per week for their teeth.

Wellness CORE is based on the raw feeding philosophy of providing nutrient-rich, high-quality meat to a dog's diet.

Mine did eat Canidae at one time. But they changed their formula and it wasn't as good. It's still a pretty good food, though. My dog food guy stopped selling it.

On spaying and neutering, if you can keep your dogs from getting pregnant or impregnating others, then it's fine with me. Most people aren't so responsible, unfortunately...

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

I have to quickly jump in here and talk about the grain free diet thing and hope that I don't get too wildy off topic. I had my GSD neutered when he was almost 3 when we rehomed him from his first owner, mostly to calm him down...he was insane with hormones and bad up bringing. I'm still reading about the issues surrounding the effects of neutering, but I will say that my previous dog, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, had to be neutered as an emergency procedure at the age of 12 when he developed a testicular tumour. Obviously his hormones were all over the place and he went very quickly from being a total sweetheart of a dog, to something very dangerous....in a matter of days. As soon as he was neutered....no more problems. I don't have to face this possibility with my boy now.

Anyway...the grain issue. I entirely agree about the commercial dogfood problem....it's all marketing. I've even tried my boy on breed specific foods...the premium stuff....expensive! All is does is inflame his gut to the point where he's howling in pain, and not absorbing the one medication he needs a very little of for the joint pain he's starting to develop in middle age. DOGS DO NOT NEED GRAINS! They cannot process them. Now he gets human food grade chicken, minced beef, eggs, fish sometimes, and we're trying him on offal and other meats. Sometimes cooked, sometimes raw. Sometimes with little bits of cheese too. No more sore belly, no more sore hips where he can't get his backside off the ground, no more howling, and that all stopped within two days when I changed his food.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
@ the OP
the main danger is karma
how can you do that to a being you claim to love and be best friends with?
yeah,thanks pal!
either kill it and eat it or leave it alone.
Stop messing with their junk you freaks.

nature can only balance itself!
we only cause more problems when we try to fix things we can't comprehend.

stupid primates...

not you,the people worring about whats going in their pets pants.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by the_grand_pooh-bah]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
On average, the statistics show that neutering your dog increases life expectancy by about 2 years -

www.oes.org...

- that's got to be enough reason without all the other benefits. And there are thousands of dogs being PTS every year because they are unwanted because owners have unwanted litters.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wembley

thank you for the link,good info that i will not dispute.

my problem with it is moral.It's a half hearted murder.
i believe every life form virus and up contains a soul of some sort.
It's job is to exist grow and procreate.
you say they are unwanted.but by whom are they not wanted?
humans?are you their slave master?
Every pet i have ever had lived with me by choice.they were free to leave at any time.
they were friends that became family to me.I never considered them property of mine because they aren't.
If there are too many then kill and eat some,otherwise leave them be.

If a superior race came to earth would you think it ok if they cut on you because there are too many humans?
Is that the action of a best friend?
Would your pet do it to you if the roles were reversed?
would you want them to?

No real man could bring himself to do that to another man and only evil females could do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join