It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangers of Neutering your dog

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Across the nation Veterinarians recommend that you should spay or neuter your dog before the age of 1. They always list all the benefits of neutering and never mention any of the potential dangers. I would like to state up front that the case for not neutering your female dog is a little more mixed. As I will explain below.

Here is what the American Veterinary Medical Association has to say about spaying and neutering.

They list the following benefits:
-Improved behavioral problems
-Decrease in testicular and prostate cancers in males
-Decrease in breast and ovarian cancers in females
-Less roaming in search for a mate

Along with these claims they say that neutering will calm you dog down and make them better behaved.

While it may be true that neutering a dog will decrease the instance in testicular, prostate, breast and ovarian cancers.(makes sense that they will not get cancer in the organ you removed). They fail to tell you a couple of important facts.

Pros and Cons for Neutering your Male Dog

On the positive side, neutering male dogs
• eliminates the small risk (probably

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Continued

The research shows that neutering a male dog does NOT decrease sexual behaviors such as mounting or roaming. It is said that spaying with calm your dog but the research shows that spaying a female dog can have the opposite effect because spaying eliminates the production of estrogen, which aids in the production of serotonin.

The research also shows that spayed females show a 30% increase in adverse reactions to vaccines over intact dogs and a 27% increase in neutered male dogs.

Neutered male dogs and spayed female dogs are at increased risk of progressing from mild to severe geriatric cognitive impairment compared to intact male dogs. Geriatric cognitive impairment includes disorientation in the house or outdoors, changes in social interactions with human family members, loss of house training, and changes in the sleep-wake cycle.

I feel that the veterinarian community over emphasizes the pros in order to get you to pay for a procedure that is not entirely necessary. I dont think their intentions are to limit unwanted litters because proper education and training can accomplish the same thing. Owner responsibility could accomplish the same task.

If you are going to get your dog neutered or spayed, do your research and by all means wait until your pet is FULL grown before you have this procedure done. Your dog will live a longer and happier life if you do.

And by all means learn how to train your dog properly and you will see behavioral improvements when they get to be 1-2 years old without the need for an unnecessary and harmful procedure.

Sources
National Animal Interest Alliance
Long-term Risks and benefits of neutering

The Question of Neutering

[edit on 27-12-2009 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Continued:

Here is some more data and sources with regards to cancer and dogs.

Cancer is the number killer of dogs.

-The urinary tract in dogs includes the kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, prostate, and urethra. Cancer can occur in any of these sites but the bladder is most commonly affected. Although bladder cancer in dogs accounts for approximately 1% of all dog cancers, the rate of increase of this type of cancer over the past 10 years is estimated at over 200%.

-Osteosarcoma (OSA) accounts for only approximately 5% of all canine tumors, but is by far the most common bone tumor of the dog. It is a malignant tumor of the bone and can develop in any bone, but most often occurs in bones bordering the shoulder, wrist and knee. Osteosarcoma of the limbs is called appendicular osteosarcoma and accounts for 75-85% of the cases of bone cancer. However, these tumors can also affect the axial skeleton (cranium, spinal column, ribs)

-One in three dogs will get cancer and of those 1/2 will die.

Not all of these cancers can be directly attributed to neutering but the research shows that these cancers are going up in dog populations and that neutering increases their risks.

Now many people like to point out the number of animals that are put down because they are unwanted. The National Council reports it on Pet Population Study and Policy, from the 5000 or so US agencies who responded to the survey, that over 2 million dogs enter shelters annually. Of those 27% are relinquished by owners, 42% are turned in by animal control, 31 by other sources, of these dogs, 56% are euthanized. This means that just over 1 million dogs are euthanized each year.

But most of these pets are put down simply because they are lost and the owner is never found, not because they are a puppy from an unwanted litter.

So each year we lose about 1 million dogs to euthanasia and about 1 million dogs to cancer(specifically the cancers that are increased through neutering.) 73% of all dogs in animal shelters are found or turned in by other sources(usually someone else finding the dog), only 27%(540,000) are actually unwanted. Now some of the 73% may be just dumped off somewhere by the owner but those numbers are not known. So 540,000 of the 60million dogs in the US are actually unwanted(.0009%). If we take the total number of dogs turned into shelters each year 2 million against the total number of dogs in the US only .0333% of all the dogs in the US end up in shelters.

Now, not all the cancer deaths can be attributed to neutering but with that said not all the euthanasia can be attributed to dogs from unwanted litters. Usually it is adult dogs that are found and put into shelters, not because someone dumped them but because the owner failed to pay attention or keep their pet on a leash. And the reason that those dogs are not adopted is because some are not well trained or they dont adapt well to a new home as an adult. It is just easier to train a puppy than an adult dog.

I'm not trying to say nobody should neuter their pet, its your pet and you can do what you want but please be aware of the increased risks. There is no data to suggest that your dog will be better behaved, less likely to run off or safer from a medical standpoint after they have been neutered. And if you are trying to keep the dog numbers in check because of the number that are killed, keep in mind that only .0333% of all dogs end up in shelters and only 0.0166% of all dogs are euthanized. If you are going to neuter your pet, at least wait until your dog is full grown, depending on the breed(smaller dogs mature faster)it can range from 1-2 years. Most vets will recommend 6-9monts and this is irresponsible and they wont tell you why.

These are the facts of neutering and your vet and the AVMA, hides the truth regarding the dangers of neutering your pet.

Regards

Sources

CanineCancer

About.com

[edit on 27/12/09 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Why do you think more humans do not get sterilized?

Same here, that energies produced mean alot to humans as they do all beings. Its the most important energy we all produce.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Do you think this applies to cats iamcamofladge ?? I have two cats one female and a male both neutered, On the plus side they do not go nuts (pardon the pun) When mating season kicks in and they tend to stay at home more often and are a Lot more relaxed than they were. On the down side they seem to give me dirty looks as if to say "You spoilsport". And i feel guilty for doing it to them, But i think it is for the better.. IMO...

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

I did not do the research on cats but to venture a guess I would say that the cancer rates probably go up. Hormones are hormones, they affect all animals very similarly with regards to not having them. When it comes to behavior I would guess that it probably helps cats more than dogs, only because dogs are more easily trained. Cats tend to do what they want or feel. When their body says mate, they go crazy.

The data is out there I just focused on dogs because i am more familiar with them. But I really think the cancer rates probably go up. But I am only speculating.

Also, it seems more cat owner are comfortable just letting their cats outside without supervision. I would not do this with dogs, thus I dont need to worry about my dog running off.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Why do you think more humans do not get sterilized?

Same here, that energies produced mean alot to humans as they do all beings. Its the most important energy we all produce.

Exactly. Sterilization is dangerous and your vet will not disclose all of the dangers.

Ask your vet about these dangers and watch them squirm. I have done it they dont really know what to say. I have told them about the studies and they act like they are unaware.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I dont think its cool to go to websites - steal by means of copy/paste. Then - post it acting as if its your own words and or thoughts.

AND THIS IS WHAT THIS IS - Pure 100% copy/paste from:

Go to the site below and you will see ALL OF THIS - WORD FOR WORD. ALL COPY/PASTED from their to HERE. With the OP claiming it to be their work! This is NOT the OP's 'research'. Its the OP getting COLD BUSTED. Lying and misrepresenting.

www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf

You should be ashamed. At least paraphrase! You, out right stole this, AS YOUR OWN. You represent the information as RESEARCH! Copy and pasting isnt research - thats theft if not properly cited. Which your sources are now.

As a matter of fact, the ONLY source you gave wasnt even the source you ripped this off (copy/pasted from). You stole the words from one site and cited another.

Above, I posted the one you stole from - the one with all of this WORD FOR WORD!

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 27-12-2009 by Little One]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Little One

All my sources are cited. Check the links, I did get if from that pdf which is in the second post.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

You mean this link

Which is in my second post, i gather information from multiple locations. Yes i copied and pasted but my links and sources ARE listed.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

You dont have the SOURCE CITED that you stole all of this from: WORD FOR WORD!

I do though:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Check the first link in the second post it is the PDF you just listed. I can correct my post to actually say that the information is located in the first link in the second post.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Oh, you conveniently added it after I called you out... ew, thats nasty on so many levels.

Especially, the way you throw around 'your research' as if you actually did more than steal via copy/paste and not cite the source until AFTER I posted my first post... calling you on it.

Again.... BOOOOOOO!

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Little One

You dont have the SOURCE CITED that you stole all of this from: WORD FOR WORD!

I do though:

My link from the second post: Long Term Risks and benefits, sends you to the pdf that you are posting. I could have reworded all of what i copied and pasted but i figured as long as I listed all my sources it would be sufficient. This is not a research paper, i was only trying to get this information out there. I provided my own thought and gathered and rewrote it.

Check all of the links before you go accusing me of stealing. I posted all the links where i got my information and I have seen this done on many sites, including this one. I understand that this would not hold up to the standards of a university research( I know, as i have written several) but this is an internet forum.

Again, all of my sources are absolutely listed.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

BS I did not add it after you said something, that link has been in the post from the very beginning. You just didnt see it and tried to jump all over me. Go ask a mod for when my last edit to that post was, it was sometime this morning. For some reason the edit button is not even available for my first two posts.

My research, was taking multiple sources and putting them together in one place. I'm sorry you want to hold an internet form to the level of a college research paper. Also notice that I always say THE RESEARCH, not my research. I posted a section from that pdf with the pros and cons, the section on behavior is all my own writing, along with several other sections

Quit trying to hijack my thread with false accusations.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

ALL your posts prove themselves:

Every single one of them EDITED. And that was ONLY after my initial post. NO edits before then - hell you were only copy/pasting... whats to edit!?

IM NOT going to argue with you anymore over it. Its here for all to see.

I have proven myself. You, however, did something nasty. I caught you. And called you on it. Thats ATS baby!

Its a chance we take when we steal and/or lie about research being or not being our own - getting busted.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
If you used the proper tags (ex) you wouldn't be accused of plagiarism.

I am a proponent of spaying and neutering dogs and cats AT THE PROPER AGE, which is after 18 months for large male dogs.

You can find anything you want to support your point of view on the Internet, but the truth is that there are too many cats and dogs being killed every year and people should be more responsible.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Dude you are flat out lying. All and I mean all of those links have been in these thread from the very beginning. Go ask a mod. I copied and pasted a couple sections and left sources for everything.

I would love for a mod to get involved and verify the edit times. My posts were edited at before 7am this morning. You are being rude.

Please any mod who can verify the edit times for my second post please do. I did copy and paste the pro and con section but the majority of the writing in all three of my first post is my own writing.

This thread was originally moved to an incorrect forum and i had to move it all to a new thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I never said people shouldnt spay or neuter. I'm only pointing out the dangers that your vet will not tell you. If you want to spay or neuter go for it but the data i have posted is accurate. And you will be hard pressed to find data showing the pros that are claimed with regards to improved health or less roaming.

None of that information can be cited with any studies.

And i agree, waiting to spay or neuter until after 18 months is really important but most vets will tell you 6-12months depending on the breed.

You are right i should have put those few sections that i copied and pasted in quotes and i would do so now but like i said the "edit" button for my first two posts is not even there for me to do. I would love to so that little one would be happy.

I copied and pasted a couple sections of the pdf that i had a source for from the very beginning. Littleone didnt see it and is not attacking my character and it sucks. I was not attempting to claim someone elses work as my own and that is why i kept saying THE RESEARCH and not MY RESEARCH. I figured that having all my sources at the end would be sufficient but apparently not.

All of my edits for the first 3 posts were made before 7am this morning while i was at work. I didnt edit anyone of those three posts after that and I really wish a mod could post the times of those edits to clear my name.

Sucks!@@ I was not trying to steal anyones work and now i have to use this tread to defend myself instead of discussing the topic of the thread.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
First of all... I am a lady.

Dude? Thats mature, Thats classy too... nice.

Secondly, proof is in the pudding punkin. For all to see.

It would be BETTER for you to redeem yourself than to hold this 'innocent' position. Trust me! TRUST IS HUGE HERE - this will ruin you and your word if you maintain your innocent position - when caught reddamn handed.

I advise you as a very long term member of ATS, as an individual whom loves animals and as an equal. Apart from the theft - not equal there.

Advice? Redemption, acceptance, apology to the members. Maybe youre bored? Perhaps explain WHY you did such a thing? Surely we would understand.

But the 'Im innocent' act will bury you here, as you were caught and still maintain innocence. That too is nasty on so many levels.

Bad idea to steal. Then Lie. Then be busted, with proof! Then, stick to your story no matter what. Bad idea here. Be the end of you and 'your word'... if not already.

Think REDEMPTION - EXPLANATION - ADMITTANCE... not victim. You made us the victim of theft, infringement, and misrepresentation when you stated, my research. COPY/PASTING doesnt make it YOUR research.

This will be the last time I explain this to you. What you did was wrong. Step up or walk off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join