It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The electro-mechanics of EVP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
So, a newbie in this field, but none the less, an educated scientist wanting to know what is considered "Essential Equipment", if you are doing research here.

My problem is that I am also an electronic engineer.

Most of the evidence I have heard, involves a tape recorder of some kind. I would like to know if those in this field that have real evidence, have any preference for equipment. Mainly; Does digital recording equipment work as well?

My problems with credibility in those that I have studied, with phenominal results, is that they claim they do not hear the subjects until they analyze the data time late. They seem to use tape recordings.

I know that the "Monitor Out" of most higher end tape recorders actually takes the data off the tape as soon as it is put on. The recorder head is usually physically positioned before the playback head in higher end recorders. By monitoring the playback head during a session in real time, you are actually hearing what was immediatly placed upon the tape and then picked up a few microseconds afterwards.

So, why are these people saying that they cannot hear the entities that are communicating , when they have the ability to hear the responses almost in real time by using the monitor with headphones?

I would like some elaboration on that.

Thanks!

(edited for spelling, where caught)

[edit on 26-12-2009 by charlyv]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Now this is odd. I was watching Ghost Hunters just last night. I noticed them using the SAME thing I have. I own a Olympus VN-5200PC. On the show they were getting a really good EVP session going in a hotel in the so called Princess Room. It would have been a one on one conversation if they could have heard the reply to what they were asking. So I wondered the same thing you were. I plugged my head phones in to my unit and started to record and I could hear everything the recorder picked up on. So why are they not doing this when they do EVP sessions? I may have to email them and ask.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I was experimenting with EVP when I was in highschool back in the 1970s. I used standard cassette tape recorders. Plural.

The important thing, I think we would all agree, is to eliminate the possibility of contamination of the experiment. To that end, I would suggest two or three recording devices, all running with synchronous cues — so you can compare a segment of one recording against another, so you have control recordings, yes?

If an interdimensional "somebody" decides to speak to you, you want several devices recording, and you want to be able to compare those recordings. Absolutely.

Plus, I recommend synching a camcorder to watch your audio equipment, so there's no chance of somebody hoaxing behind your back.

Who knows, you may get multiple EVP hits — or, rather, one EVP hit recorded by multiple devices — and if they match-up synchronously, you've got a jackpot. Good Luck!

— Doc Velocity

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
They hear it, but they are not perceiving it. Its the same as when the camera records an image but they didn't see it when it actually occured.

You can't easily see the fan blades of a moving fan, but if you use a strobe light, they suddenly become easier to see as though they have been slowed enough for your brain to process.

If you had a pair of headphones that worked like a strobe light, going on and off at varying speeds for instance, you might be able to perceive the EVPs as they occur. And then you could probably carry on an actual real time conversation with one of these entities.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I think the theory is that those on "the other side" know that this is an experiment, and that they are participating in it. I haven't heard of much success with digital storage, but I don't know why it wouldn't work. Why not use my favorite attack — Several different technologies from different ages, such as tape recorders, digital recorders, wire recorders, etc, all running together.

Would produce an interesting electromagnetic field, anyway, which might be attractive to the EVP speakers.

Hey, why not? If you can get an EVP hit on multiple devices, it increases your credibility manifold.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 12/26/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
"actual real time conversation with one of these entities"

Can you imagine what that would be like and what it would mean. It could change everything.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Well, if you're into some of the more esoteric literature, "the other side" has its own ecto-technology and is attempting to transmit information to our dimension.

Now, that is hair-raising.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Thanks for replies so far. I want to use some realtime technology like what I can get from SoundForge and Sonar. These computer tools can do just about any kind of pre and post processing you want.

I just want to make sure I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater sort of thing. If the real effects are most pronounced using magnetic inductance on to ferous tape, that is what I want to differentiate with using a dynamic microphone, which also uses a magnetic inductance technology but does not seem to pick up these signals.

I can then send it to disk, and immediatly read it out and pass it through the enhancement filters that these tools provide to get an instant, or as close to instant as you can get, analysis which would allow me to conduct the vernerable two-way conversation. I am sure many on this venue have tried this, and I appreciate your responses.

It seems like the transfer , via magnetic inductance from the recorder head on the recorder is the vehicle that is being manipulated , and where the actual EVP happens. I want to cross verify that with the analog to digital conversion process that a digital device would use before depositing the recording digitally as a file to disk.

Having success with analog, and not yet with digital... Perhaps a combination of the two would be a solution. In this regard, I can take the monitor off the play back head of a conventional recorder and feed it into the laptop where I can do just about anything before I send it to the earphones...... gonna mess with that.

Fun stuff.

Also, before and after a successful EVP, there seems to be an introductory sound distortion, electronic in my perception, that sounds like a gain manipulation or frequency modulation effect. This is really interesting because it makes the EVP , or the EVP that is being produced, a more monotone or frequency limmiting presentation, much like if you added too much compression to a signal or clipped it inside the the normal voice range. I really wonder what that is. On a a LOFAR sonograph it comes in as some kind of multipath broadband distortion and goes out the same way. Lots of harmonics with no apparent fundamental. This needs analysis as well.

[edit on 27-12-2009 by charlyv]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Hi Doc
. Do you have any links you could provide of the other side trying to communicate to us? I would like to read them, if not too much trouble. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Hi Doc
. Do you have any links you could provide of the other side trying to communicate to us? I would like to read them, if not too much trouble. Thanks.

Hi, sorry I was away at church, have just returned.

Ah, yes, indeed... One place to start is the Spiricom, which is a fascinating and befuddling case history:

The Spiricom (Spirit Communication Technology)

Quite a story there, and very odd recordings that still exist.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 12/27/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Actually, your microphone isn't really necessary for EVP. If you start your device or devices in the record mode WITHOUT a microphone plugged in, you'll get better, clearer results. The important thing is that the recording is taking place, that electromagnetic pulses are being committed to a storage media (e.g. ferrous tape or whatever).

As long as the recording is in progress, the EVP can make itself known AT THE POINT OF RECORDING (i.e., at the tape head or whatever).

NOT at the microphone, but at the media itself, see?

Now, one device with a microphone is handy for actually recording yourself asking questions to which the EVP may answer, but you're going to pick up a lot of extraneous noise, as well, from which it makes it hard as hell to extract your EVP.

So.... Use one recording device with a microphone, but synch it to 1 or more (preferably more) recording devices without microphones. So you're going to end up with one noisy audio tape and another tape (or tapes) that are blissfully silent — except, let's hope, for some EVP hits.

See, the mike-less devices are going to be recording at near zero-background-noise. If there's an EVP hit, it'll stand out like a sore thumb.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

That is the kind of info I am looking for, thanks Doc.
I am going to try using a mike-less recorder and then feed the playback realtime in to a laptop. Thanks for the info.

new topics

top topics

join