It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France proposes ban on Islamic veils

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

France proposes ban on Islamic veils

www.dw-world.de

France's ruling party, the conservative Union Pour un Mouvement Populaire (UMP), says it plans to present a bill to parliament in January, which would ban full Islamic veils in all public places. The bill is to be presented in the first two weeks of next month, just before the conclusions of a French parliamentary inquiry on the burqa and niqab are published.

Jean-Francois Cope, the parliamentary party leader of the UMP, said the measure was meant to defend France from extremists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thestar.com
www.cia.gov..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I do remember laws like this being proposed before. I don't know how well the public has taken to them. The article states that it is being done to protect France from extremists. I think the opposing views will be more of an attack on religion. Muslim population is estimated at five to ten percent. I do think that will be enough to raise some sort of protest.

www.dw-world.de
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Okay, they say full islamic veils, when I saw the thread title however without the word "only" I thought they meant hijabs.

If it's burqa's well let me present two opposing non-extreme perspective.

Once I had to get my driver's license, and there was a muslim woman there getting hers too, they asked her to have her photo taken for the driver's license's photo ID. She refused to take her burqa off though, but stood in front of the camera nonetheless, naturally this was humourous so I kinda laughed and damn the husband looked back at me pissed.
I didn't find the request funny but just her still wearing a buraq waiting to be photographed lol.
Anyhow this created a big issue and after that I heard of such issues on the news again.
Of course there's no way to defend this, if you don't want a photo ID then.... no driver's license for you.. i mean obviously come on.

On another perspective, this is ban is racist, for lack of a better term.
Why?
Because you shouldn't ban the burqa, you should ban body hiding clothing or any material around that which makes it impossible for you to be identified, whether by a burqa, scarf or hockey mask(think friday the 13th).

So with that in mind..... what about if this winter is real cold and people wear ski masks?
What are you going to do then?

I'm not sure where I stand as of yet

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

ModernAcademia
thanks for posting.
you do bring up some good points. I was thinking a while back when I heard of a policy banning all religious symbols, which did include the head scarf. I was thinking if this policy makes it to law it will have to be rewritten some how that would not just be a head scarf.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Just out of curiosity, do you (or anyone) know how Christian clothing and symbols are viewed in Muslim countries?

Is there a ban on this in public?

Is there no ban but Christian's don't do it for fear of backlash?

Is it acceptable?

I have only been to Dubai and they seemed pretty tolerant there.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
i believe in my neck of woods it is illegal to wear ski masks because it blocks your face but muslim women CAN WEAR THERE FULL KIT

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized
reply to post by RedGolem

Just out of curiosity, do you (or anyone) know how Christian clothing and symbols are viewed in Muslim countries?

Is there a ban on this in public?

Is there no ban but Christian's don't do it for fear of backlash?

Is it acceptable?

I have only been to Dubai and they seemed pretty tolerant there.

In the less tolerant muslim countries in the Middle East, you have to cover yourself as much as possible. Even westernized nations like Bahrain require all to wear long sleeved shirts and long pants, even if it is 120 degrees out. In Saudi Arabia, western women must wear the hajib but do not need to cover their face. Showing any excess skin would be an insult and a sure ticket to jail.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bagari

Hey thanks for the reply!

I think people should be prety much free to wear what they want. The next points/questions I'll put forward, as predictable as they are, is the Muslim community outraged by this move? Is there a double standard? Should the Muslim world respect Christian wishes in Christian countries as Christians respect Muslim wishes in Muslim countries?

new topics

top topics

join