It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entering the world of linux

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Ubuntu? Yes, I have two virtual machines with Ubuntu, one with version 8.04, the other with version 9.10.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

First, welcome to Ubuntu! I'm currently using Kubuntu 9.10. That's bascially Ubuntu with a different default. Though, I plan on switching to Ubuntu when I come back from vacation next week.

And how do I play music through the headphone? The music plays only through the speaker

Maybe Ubuntu doesn't have a driver for your headphone jack or something? Sometimes that's the case. For example, my SD card reader doesn't work because, to my knowledge, it's not compatible (at the moment).

Also, you don't need to install WINE if you're duel booting. There is no need to since Windows is still there. (Now you just gotta get rid of that thing and just use Ubuntu!)

You made a good choice in choosing Ubuntu. It has an awesome community. Ubuntu has a help forum and you can pretty much get any question answered. There is also a community run site where popular packages have a .deb (the Ubuntu equvialent to .exe in Windows) file that you can download so that you don't have to worry about compiling source code to install things. It is very helpful!

[edit on 12/27/2009 by octotom]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Thanks for the welcome.

I think, I would let windows to be available in dual boot. Because, as you know, lots of programs still need windows to run.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Linux will now write to the latest Windows NTFS file systems where you used to need a fat32 file system to share files between windows and linux. That means I can keep a backup of all my linux stuff on my NTFS XP drive now and access them with linux. The disadvantage to fat32 is it had a 4 gig file limit. That means if you download knoppix 5.3.1 about 4.1 gigs worth. You couldn't save it on your fat32 partition supposedly. NTFS does not have that limitation.

I keep XP on a separate 30 gig NTFS partition /dev/sdb1 and I have a large 200 gig NTFS DATA partition /dev/sdb2 that I save a backup of all my data on so I can reinstall Windows without having to fool with my data.

One of the cool things about linux is having your own home partition. Home stores all your user settings, desktop background, bookmarks, panel settings, data and whatever you have on the desktop. If you need to reinstall Ubuntu, all of those things will come right back as long as you don't select format /home in the partition editor upon re-nstall. Just select ext3 file system and not format or all your data will be gone.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
OK, for starters - I'M SORRY, VERY, VERY, SORRY...

I can imagine the sighs of despair at my next question.

Is it possible for me to play a PC game on Xubuntu? I really fancy playing the Baldur's Gate Trilogy again, it might be easier for someone just to say "NO" in a stern voice.

Got to say though, I really am enjoying my computer so much more now.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Octotom very kindly messaged me with some links:

help.ubuntu.com...

which is a media programme for dvd's, stuff like that?

Octotom - does this mean I can make my computer/dvd multi-region?

www.getdeb.net...

A programme for gaining/installing MORE freeware.

One more question - for now... this was something else Octotom messaged me with, but what exactly does it do? What are "Restricted Areas"?

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras

Actually, whilst I think about it...

Do I need to defragment? How, where?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

I looked on the WineHQ and checked to see if your game Baldur's Gate Trilogy will run 100% using wine. Apparently it does. Multiplayer hasn't been tested.

Test results

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

For games, it really depends on the game. Sometimes a game is fully supported, sometimes not. You sometimes just gotta hope for the best. This, of course, will change as time goes on.

One more question - for now... this was something else Octotom messaged me with, but what exactly does it do? What are "Restricted Areas"?

The restricted extras are codecs and other multimedia doohickeys that allow full compatibility with Xubuntu. Because of the Ubuntu philosophy, all of the *buntu derived OSes are shipped with only "free" (as in the source code is free for all to have and modify) software. A lot of the multimedia software that we use (flash, mp3, DVD, etc) is "non-free", or, the source code isn't freely available. Installing the "restricted-extras" package will give you access to this things so that you can install them on your Xubuntu system.

Do I need to defragment? How, where?

Xubuntu will automatically defrag itself after 30 start ups.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

You sir, are my new favourite person on ATS and my girlfriends least, no doubt.

reply to post by octotom

You sir, are my 2nd favourite. Thanks for that explanation, I think there were some other things that I know to do on Windows, that I'm assuming carry over onto this OS:

Scan disc/repair etc?

I hope someone will tell me this all happens automatically.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Ok. Getting used to linux. Can you guys recommend any program or a game I can try out. Because, basically, I am sitting at home idle.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Another problem for me now. When I try to login to ATS chat using opera in ubuntu, I am able to type my name and password and login. But I am unable to enter any of the chat rooms. I click on it, nothing happens. What could be the problem?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

But I am unable to enter any of the chat rooms. I click on it, nothing happens.

You may not have Java or Flash installed (which ever ATS chat uses). As I remember, on Ubuntu (which you're on, right?) Java and Flash are part of the "restricted extras" package. Just open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

If you're not on Ubuntu, but Xubuntu or Kubuntu, just change the ubuntu to which ever is appropriate.

As for games, a fun one that I like is World of Padman

If you just do a search in a search engine for "linux games", a ton will come up. And they're all native to Linux, which means they'll run without the use of WINE or anything like that!

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I typed the command, and gave y for running it. And the process went on. But I still cant run java applets.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Is Java enabled in your web browser? That may be the reason that it's not working properly despite having it.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55
Linux doesn't get viruses.

and also Mac doesn't get viruses.

I use Ubuntu on my PC (I removed Windows a long time ago) and I like it. I also have two Macs.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Can you guys recommend any program or a game I can try out.

You can search for, download and install whatever type of program you're looking for using the synaptic packagae manager.

TA

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I just installed Opera in Ubuntu and I don't have any problem entering the chat rooms, but they are all empty.

I already had Flash installed.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I checked in preferences. Java is enabled.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55
Mac doesn't get viruses.

article 1

article 2

[edit on December 28th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

The games in ubuntu software center look boring. :shk: