It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entering the world of linux

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Hello everyone. I have installed the latest version of ubuntu on my computer. This is my first experience with linux. I was fed up with windows. So, when my cousin who is a computer science student came over here today, I asked him to install ubuntu for me. I had already downloaded the image file. I thought that installation would be a nightmare. But it was relatively simple. We downloaded daemon tools and mounted the image file and ran "Install from windows" and allocated 20 GB to it from one of the partitions and the installation was a breeze. So, now, I have windows and ubuntu on dual boot.

The beautiful thing about this is that I am able to access windows partitions from ubuntu itself.

So, I have taken my first baby steps in linux world.

I request members to help me out in mentioning the do's and dont's in linux, essential programs which I must download and install to keep ubuntu in shape.

And also, one doubt, I find that I am able to access windows partitions from ubuntu itself, so, if any nasty virus managed to get into linux, will it transfer itself automatically to windows and do its nasty work?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Linux doesn't get viruses.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

My doubt is whether any windows viruses which might get into linux will migrate into windows partition?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
One problem everyone. I try playing a mp3, but the inbuilt player doesnt support it. So, I downloaded VLC and ran the file. But the thing is that it is playing only through the speaker and not on a headphone, in the standard port, the sound doesnt get routed through the headphone as it normally should. It still plays in the speaker.

What is the solution for this problem?

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
To get MP3 support (and many other formats as well) check out this link: Restricted Formats. Because of legal issues Ubuntu and many others will not package in support for MP3s however its now a trivial matter to get the formats working just fine

As for viruses jumping from Linux to Windows its highly unlikely as a Windows virus would need to be emulated via Wine to even execute in the Linux environment, and even then chances of it working properly are slim to none given how flaky Wine can be at times.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Hi Peacejet! Welcome to the world of ubuntu linux!

And also, one doubt, I find that I am able to access windows partitions from ubuntu itself, so, if any nasty virus managed to get into linux, will it transfer itself automatically to windows and do its nasty work?

How will the viruses that work only in windows be able to do that? Like the poster above me said, it would need wine to run them and be able to access the windows registery on the windows partition. Also the viruses would need to be able to recognize whether or not they are running in Linux or Windows.

If you are worried about viruses that are designed to run in linux and possibly infect the windows partition, then you have nothing to worry about. Linux is extremely secure.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Linux is extremely secure.

I hate to do this to you DA, but its gotta be done. Linux is N O T 'extremely secure' out of the box. No off the shelf operating system is deserving of such a title, and unfortunately the one thing which will invariably put systems at risk time and time again is the user and the lack of knowledge they have in terms of securing the machine.

I've heard the claims from every side of the isle about which is the most secure out of the box operating system and I think even looking at it this way is foolish; all fresh installs should be considered unsecure because they haven't been updated, firewalls haven't been properly adjusted, etc.

The reason I'm even bothering with saying any of this is that I don't want peacejet or anybody else reading to fall into the trap of thinking that because its not Windows its immediately secure upon install, and we all know that is never the case (I had to pull some 40+Mb of patches just last night to keep my Ubuntu install up to date.)

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

So how does Linux handle the threat of viruses? If the source code is public domain knowledge, wouldn't a hacker more easily be able to develop a virus that is targeted against Linux? In theory, a hacker could do that. But he'll have long series of mountains to climb before he can pull it off. The first mountain he'll have to climb is the source code itself, looking for flaws and vulnerabilities. But due to the open-source nature of Linux the source-code has already been proof-read by thousands and thousands of computer programmers who comb through, constantly looking for areas to make improvements to the software and identify potential problems or flaws. Linus' Law (named after Linus Torvalds) states, "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow." Or more formally: "Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix obvious to someone." So the robustness of the source code comes from a compounded and continuous method of refining done by millions around the world, which makes Linux much more difficult to hack.

The next mountain he could climb is to try and rewrite some source code and sneak a flaw into the official distribution. In order for anything to be included as a part of the official distribution it has to go through very extensive testing that is much more rigorous than the beta testing that Windows goes through. This is because the software is open source and accessable to many more testers; literally thousands more people are able to examine the software with their own fine tooth comb and then report their findings to the group.

But the biggest mountain our poor hacker would have to climb is system administration privileges (also called root level access or Superuser authentication). What this means is, if anybody wants to install a program (such as a virus), modify system critical configurations or settings, or do anything at all that may affect the way the OS runs, a password is required. By default in Windows, all users are given administrator privileges and no password is required to log into the computer or modify system configuration. You could even open the Windows folder and start deleting random files and the operating system would allow it to happen with barely a peep. This is bad design and bad security, which happen to be two flaws you will never ever find on a Linux system. It's simply not built that way.

So which one you trust more? Windows or Linux? Ever since I've got Linux, I haven't had any virus or malware.

Viruses on Linux are practically unheard of. When it does happen, every programmer from all over the world will quickly correct it.

Can the same be true for Windows? The bug and virus fixes take too long because the source is not open.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Oh I get what you are saying. Okay, granted older versions of Linux might not be as secure as the newest version.

Yes, get the latest version on CD (it's free) or download it or just download the patches.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
A more condensed version of what I was trying to say would be this: don't rely on the operating system for security, learn about it and implement it yourself.

Too many folks take that concept of Linux as being invulnerable to nastyware and run with it and forget about things which are platform-independent like Cross Site Scripting, phishing, etc. which can happen to anybody irregardless of what they run for an OS.

If people took the time to learn about how to secure their computers it would cut out a huge chunk of the instances of virus infection, hijacking, etc because its easily preventable by having a properly configured firewall, up to date AV and web browser and a little common sense when it comes to what you do online.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Yeah, I get you. It's the people, not the OS.

Peacejet is a very smart person. So I doubt he will have any problem.

Though I would trust Linux more than Windows for security issues.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ok, I have gone through all the replies posted above. I downloaded 116 MB of patches yesterday and installed them. I have not installed WINE yet. I am waiting to go get used to the linux environment. I am able to play mp3's through VLC now. But I am unable to set VLC as default player. How do I do that?

Moreover, should I install a antivirus? I found on the avast website, an linux version of the home edition.

And how do I play music through the headphone? The music plays only through the speaker.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Ive been using linux a year and four months and have "NEVER" had a virus or any anti-virus program hogging my CPU'S. AVG used to make me so mad when I ran windows. The only one I could afford was the free one and it could not be adjusted to scan when you wanted it too, it had to scan every morning during the few moments I had to get on the computer before work, slowing my system to a crawl.

I love linux. It has its aggravations but getting on the web is not one of them, definitely worth learning. Its a journey.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Found this funny walllaper online, thought I would set it as desktop background.

[edit on December 26th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Those are cute. I like penguins. I salvaged a penguin toy that the kids got from one of the fast food joints. I think it was one of the Madagaskar toys. Anyhow I set him right under my flast screen moniter shortly aftrer I caught on to linux.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Linux tends not to get viruses, but if you're still concerned, open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install clamav

That will install Clamav from whichever repository it's in.

TA

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

Yeah, the linux mascot is cute. I would vote it as the best mascot of the millenium.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Thank you for the info. Ill note it down.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

AVG is not as good as the publicity says, and one of the problems is that it's too slow and slows down the whole computer. Avast is much better, and it finds many things that AVG ignores.

I haven't tried Avast on Linux, but as I use Linux only on a virtual machine I am not worried about it getting affected by anything.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Cheers to whoever posted the Clamav instruction...

I'm using Xubuntu and really enjoying it, I'm not a techy by any stretch of the imagination at all, but I think my new OS is giving me some positive encouragement - AND I'm pleased to be free of the Windows megamonopoly...

Does anyone have any advice for torrenting (with Transmission)?

I also started a thread relevant to this, but it would seem to make more sense to merge it into this one (or mine) - www.belowtopsecret.com...

Is everyone else using this?

www.ubuntu.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join