It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India: Ancient Superpower

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 13579

I am sorry that you are upset by the word "Indian civilisation" However, this is the conventional word to describe the Indians. Just as the word "Egyptian civilisation" or "Sumerian civilisation" is used to describe Egyptians and Sumerians. The Indian civilisation refers to the people of the Indian subcontinent. Although there are many cultural and historical ties between Indian and Chinese people, the Chinese are a distinct civilisation and in my opinion amongst the greatest. However, it cannot be denied India had a huge influence on China in ancient times. India was very much an ancient superpower, it had an influence on everyone.

It is odd to think that in ancient times we had a globalized world. India seems to have as much influence in the ancient world as America has today in the world, but of course in a different and maybe benign way.

[edit on 25-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by downisreallyup

ahh a man who can use google i love it!

let me show you the part of the brain you dont use

and funny thing is its in your post..

an advanced state of human society

HUMAN

sorry what was that? HUMAN say it again people!! HUUUMAAAAANNNN

so if you want to make a thread attacking me because i NIT PIC feel free to NIT PIC your own life

you know like GOD and MONEY and BS you cling to?

dont like the truth much do you i mean this is ATS

I pointed out a basic FACT to the op in order to HELP them get a point across

and yet here i sit being commented on by YOU and you other pals about what?

the fact im right or the fact you dont have a clue?

bring it on cherry pie *

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 13579

No, as I pointed out in my previous post I didn't call you an asshole, I said you're coming off as one since you're arguing about petty semantics that doesn't in any way hinder you from getting the message of the post.
You're complaining about a few words and their meanings which isn't even of importance to the message as a whole while your posts are full of grammatical errors.
It just seems like you're going out of your way to point out minor errors just for the sake of it even if they don't even detract anything from the message.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child
reply to post by 13579

I am sorry that you are upset by the word "Indian civilisation" However, this is the conventional word to describe the Indians. Just as the word "Egyptian civilisation" or "Sumerian civilisation" is used to describe Egyptians and Sumerians. The Indian civilisation refers to the people of the Indian subcontinent. Although there are many cultural and historical ties between Indian and Chinese people, the Chinese are a distinct civilisation and in my opinion amongst the greatest. However, it cannot be denied India had a huge influence on China in ancient times. India was very much an ancient superpower, it had an influence on everyone.

It is odd to think that in ancient times we had a globalized world. India seems to have as much influence in the ancient world as America has today in the world.

You are being very gracious and that has earned you my star and flag! This 13579 fellow is not incorrect in his attacks on you, but he is ignorant of how the word civilization can be used in the English language. Perhaps he is not a native English speaker, or perhaps he is just not very educated. In either case, he made a fool of himself because of his eagerness to make you look bad, and as often happens, it has come back onto his own person.

Anyhow, I very much appreciate your bringing this to our attention. I have always been amazed at the accurate descriptions in the Vedas concerning nuclear holocaust... it seems that much revision has occurred to the historical accounts of man's ancient civilization.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

hey i do agree but im not saying what you are doing is in fact wrong.. you are pointing out something that is valuble.. i just do not like the missues of the interpritation of the word.

I started and flagged this for a reason not because you was wrong in the way you "said" it but because it is in fact "ineteresting" but that does not mean i can not point out mistakes?

Im sure many of my threads have mistakes that others will point out

being humble about a mistake as i said is how one deals with it not the mistake its self

So you have no reason to say sorry.. at least you are talking to me about the topic and not calling me an arsehole or take my head of out it.

its funny because right now? im the only person who is in fact debating the topic at hand

the rest of the contributers are in fact talking to me?

Ironic is it not?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

his 13579 fellow is not incorrect in his attacks on you

im not incorrect? but i must say "attack" is a strong word?

I attacked the OP because i felt it was right to use culture as a word to help the op help people understand the point of what he.she was saying?

I attacked the op so much i star and flagged it? well wow thats a shocker.

mm lets see.. if i used the same logic as you then phage is a nit picking arse hole as well then yes?

I mean he does state facts?

shall we keep going or you going to argue more ? its fun really that you care so much about my own comments more than the OPS

or is it you find the way i talk somewhat irratating? lol

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13579

ahh a man who can use google i love it!

let me show you the part of the brain you dont use

and funny thing is its in your post..

an advanced state of human society

HUMAN

sorry what was that? HUMAN say it again people!! HUUUMAAAAANNNN

so if you want to make a thread attacking me because i NIT PIC feel free to NIT PIC your own life

you know like GOD and MONEY and BS you cling to?

dont like the truth much do you i mean this is ATS

I pointed out a basic FACT to the op in order to HELP them get a point across

and yet here i sit being commented on by YOU and you other pals about what?

the fact im right or the fact you dont have a clue?

bring it on cherry pie *

What in the world are you RIGHT about? Nothing. I don't need to use Google to consult any dictionary. I have a large Cambridge one right on my desk, but certainly you would not believe a quote that I typed. So, yes, I got a definition from www.dictionary.com... (not Google). You might try doing the same next time you want to attack on semantics.

And by the way, you are still wrong. Civilization can be global as in "human", or it can refer to a particular sub-group of humans, such as the Indians. I have lived in India for several months, living in a village, and I can say most assuredly that they have what is more accurately characterized as a civilization, since the word culture is not as strong in it's subtle meaning. Their entire way of life is vastly different from the culture of western civilization. In fact, in any high school in America you can take a course called "Western Civilization", and notice how they are NOT called "Western Culture." I think you need to really revise your understanding of the word HOMES!

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

well india is a big place, not to mention the population!!

A lot of westen thinking in fact did not come from the west "as you rightly point out" a lot of it came from the east..

here is just one

ZERO

The west has a lot to learn from our fellow brothers in india and across the world.

many people think pakistan and inida and china are all not the same but really the only thing that is mishmassed is the "god system"

indians chinise and most "if not all" the people of asisa came from the same "culture"

and when you say india was a supper power i dont say i dont agree there but i want to point out ASIA its self was a suppper power..

population and in technical achivements..

thats why i did star you.. and for the brainless ones who think im attacking the OP

grow up

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

are you really thick?

1. an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.

read it again ...

culture

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

his 13579 fellow is not incorrect in his attacks on you

im not incorrect? but i must say "attack" is a strong word?

I attacked the OP because i felt it was right to use culture as a word to help the op help people understand the point of what he.she was saying?

I attacked the op so much i star and flagged it? well wow thats a shocker.

mm lets see.. if i used the same logic as you then phage is a nit picking arse hole as well then yes?

I mean he does state facts?

shall we keep going or you going to argue more ? its fun really that you care so much about my own comments more than the OPS

or is it you find the way i talk somewhat irratating? lol

YOU ARE incorrect. Both the words civilization and culture can have both global and specific meanings. You people really need to get a grip on English and realize that it is FAR MORE flexible and vast in the meanings and shades of meaning attributable to many of its words.

Why don't you just admit it here and now and show a little humility. The fact is, you attacked this guy on something you thought you were right about, and now you have been shown to be wrong. Try as you may, you will never a definition in ANY dictionary that backs you up. He used the word correctly from the very start. End of story.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

are you really thick?

1. an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.

read it again ...

culture

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Just to think that this thread's actually going to make it to the "Hot Topics" column and most of the content is everyone arguing about how to use the word "civilisation".

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

woops for got to add this dictionary.reference.com...

1. the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc. 2. that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc. 3. a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture. 4. development or improvement of the mind by education or training. 5. the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture. 6. Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another. 7. Biology. a. the cultivation of microorganisms, as bacteria, or of tissues, for scientific study, medicinal use, etc. b. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation. 8. the act or practice of cultivating the soil; tillage. 9. the raising of plants or animals, esp. with a view to their improvement. 10. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation.

Read it.. seens you are happy to use a stupid "online i got a brain link"

a particular form or stage of civilization

[edit on 25-12-2009 by 13579]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

Well i did kinda point that out im the only one here debating it.. well not debating just reading LOl

I hope it does make it because the op is posting good info, tho granted some of it is wrong but so wat? thats why we debate it LOL

I flagged and stared it yet i got the beat down from watson and some dude who called me an arsehole

charming!

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Here, let me make it very plain. Yes, the word civilization can mean the entire human civilization as described in definition #1 in the quote I gave from the dictionary.

IN ADDITION TO THAT... that means ALSO, and BOTH are correct, it can mean:

CIVILIZATION: any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group: Greek civilization.

Notice how the dictionary verifies it can ALSO be used in the way the OP used it. Greek civilization, Indian civilization, etc.

Really, if you are just wanting to be stubborn, you will only increase your foolish actions. You can still retract all your mistakes and retain some honor and gain some respect. A fool can redeem himself if he admits he was wrong, but a stubborn fool will always be seen as the same.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Seriuosly can you guys shut up?

What a load of egotistaical childish bolox arguing over this off topic crap.

Any way

OP

It is also likely that Indians seeded Egyptian civilisation, and if not seeded, definitely had a huge influence on it.

The Indian culture/civilization is indeed very influential and can be a seen as a source for many Oesteric traditions.
Regarding 'seeding Egypt', Can you provide your historical record and sources for this?

Cheers Zazz

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

and the context is wrong...

its a stage of development !!!!! greek "civiliation" is not INDIAN is it?

why? because of the contentent its self... greek is a description of the time not the place..

sheesh

its like saying because im black / white i have my own civiliation ??? in the context the op is using it.

Thats why i said it would be BETTER to use CULTURE as a word.

becuase inida DID NOT HAVE A CILVISATION its a culture that MAKES a civilisation

using civilastion as deemed by your links are only PIN POINTS of humans CIVILIATION correct? BASED ON CULTURES

or dont you get that part?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

woops for got to add this dictionary.reference.com...

1. the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc. 2. that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc. 3. a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture. 4. development or improvement of the mind by education or training. 5. the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture. 6. Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another. 7. Biology. a. the cultivation of microorganisms, as bacteria, or of tissues, for scientific study, medicinal use, etc. b. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation. 8. the act or practice of cultivating the soil; tillage. 9. the raising of plants or animals, esp. with a view to their improvement. 10. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation.

Read it.. seens you are happy to use a stupid "online i got a brain link"

a particular form or stage of civilization

[edit on 25-12-2009 by 13579]

Yes, exactly! And when speaking of the entire period of Indian history, it is fitting to use civilization, since things change in culture. You can have the classic culture, the pop culture, the cultural revolution, etc. And that is why the OP chose the better word, the larger word, the one that encompasses all of Indian history.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

there isnt one ..

egyptions came from africa..

the home of all humans..
well not home but u know the birthplace kinda thing...

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 13579

Egypt IS in Africa, and I was asking the OP.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join