It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States is a Republic not a democracy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Well for starters, we believe in the power of the written word. At least I do.

When a declaration or statement that the United States of America is a "democracy" is stated, it erodes the very foundation that the people that sought to found a just and fair nation never intended for a democracy.

A democracy will enable 51% of the people to take away 49% of the peoples' rights. Does that sound just? Does that sound like "equal protection under the law?"

How is this hard to see? A "true" democracy is one that will enable what is seemingly a majority, but not always necessarily true, to rule over a minority.

In every true form, whether it be a Theocracy, Democracy, Republic......nothing runs smoothly because the interjection of Man is inevitable.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

Robwerden, I really wish to further develop this topic, but you have still sidestepped and dodged.

How is it a Republic? What indicators do you use to establish this?

You do understand that the Constitution is not the Federal Government nor the States right? The Constitution, in the most basic form is representative of the People. It is allowing the creation of a Federal system along with 'free states.' What is allowed in the Constitution is derived from the People. It is supposed to restrict Government as a whole to the principles stated within.

We do not follow the Constitution, the States and Nation follow it.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
that is ridiculous!

the today's US is an corporate oligarchy ruled by corporations and few rich bankster families:

Corporate Oligarchy (Corporatocracy)

Corporate oligarchy is a form of power, governmental or operational, where such power effectively rests with a small, elite group of inside individuals or influential economic entities or devices, such as banks, commercial entities that act in complicity with, or at the whim of the oligarchy, often with little or no regard for constitutionally protected prerogative.

you only have an illusion of 'democracy', your two largest political parties are the same, they defend interests of big corporations and big money, not the people

and this GW Bush quote about The Constitution: "It's just a goddamned piece of paper!" is a very good example of what the US is today

[edit on 26-12-2009 by donhuangenaro]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I recommend watching this. Normally, I don't always agree with Alex Jones, but this video has some great points and interesting connections.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
The US is only a republic when it doesnt involve counting tea party patriots in Washington DC.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

At least you have provided some type of response towards a question that I posed to another poster.

I welcome it and thank you for the video! I enjoy taking in all knowledge so I can discern and decipher the information in my little thing called a 'brain'

By the by, I am still waiting for the answers, or at least attempts, to the questions I posed to the OP.............my buzz will only last so long before I smash my face into the keyboard

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

What does this even mean? What are you stating? I am confused

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Well, the OP is not quite correct. We have a Federal Constitutional Republic

A constitutional republic is a state where the . of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens.

In a constitutional republic, executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is tempered by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power.

The fact that a constitution exists that limits the government's power makes the state constitutional. That the .(s) of state and other officials are chosen by election, rather than inheriting their positions, and that their decisions are subject to judicial review makes a state republican.

While a true Republic is somewhat different.

James Madison likened the new Republic to a Representative Democracy

So in a sense, yes, this is a Democratic Republic.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
In reality America is a corporate dictatorship.

We are a country ran for and by the large corporations.

Have been for a long time.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

What corporations are running the government? I don't want, the "PTB" or something in that nature. Name names! Who is running this country? Do you know? Does Congress even know?

Valid questions seem to get ignored quite often here on ATS because they warrant a factual, truth based answer; not the knee-jerk reactions that many have stated.....

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Eh.....I despise links to wikipedia. Find the true source through research as in the Federalist papers. I do agree with most of what you are saying though whatukno

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

To bring some balance...Nancy Pelosi stated "Are you serious? Are you serious?" No that is not a typo, she did state it twice.

The Constitution and those that hold it as a document that is sacred to the People are in the way of those in power. No matter their affiliation.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

reply to post by ownbestenemy

And yet, with all the constitutional bluster and ranting about "inalianable rights", as if it is something unique and originally from the US (it isn't, by the way), you still miss the basic premise of my post.

Namely, Republic and Democracy are not mutually exclusive words and you both do not seem to understand what they mean, instead you both quite happily chirp about them as if they are two different forms of Government, which they are not.

In fact, technically, both do not describe in any detail any from of Government, merely a single facet of it.

Although I said this in my last post, you seem to have willfully ignored it so I'll repeat for brevity. A republic can be democratic. A democracy can be a republic. A republic can also be authoritarian, or even Theocratic. A democracy can be .ed up by a King.

The words you're bitching about need qualification before they actually take on any meaning resembling any form of Government, yet you both completely miss that and harp on as if they are exclusive from one another.

May I suggest you get a dictionary and understand what the words mean. That way, not only will this dicussion become moot, but you'll also learn something too.

[edit on 26/12/09 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by robwerden
Just to set the record straight for all you Obama lovers out there. The USA is not a Democracy it is a Republic. I'm so sick of Americans using the word Democracy when they have no clue what it means.

That's all

[edit on 25-12-2009 by robwerden]

I think I'm going to make a video explaining exactly what the difference is.

People today think democracy is the end-all-be-all while it really is nothing more than pure tyranny - 51% looting the other 49.

To quote Bovard:

"A democratic government that respects no limits on its power is a ticking time bomb, waiting to destroy the rights it was created to protect."

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Even you misunderstand your own quotes!

Where it says "a democratic Government that respects no limits on it's own power" is the key phrase there.

What this means is that a Government that is "democratic", but without restraint (ie; no constitution) is a threat, not democratic Government in itself. As you have constitutional restraints placed upon the Government means you can have democracy and not have it result in mob rule. Nearly all democratic Governments around the world are limited in one way or another via constitutions and the like.

Again, two really simple words and you guys make it so damned difficult.

Democracy = People Power. A form of Government where either the power is excercised by the People directly or through elected representatives.

Republic = A republic is a form of government in which the . of state is not a monarch.

So, as you can see, the two are not even comparable as they mean TOTALLY different things. You have to combine either Republic or Democracy with another word for it to take on any kind of meaning when talking about a FORM OF GOVERNMENT!

You can have a Democratic Republic, a Theocratic Republic, an Authoritarian Republic, whatever you like as long as the Head of State is not a Monarch!

Likewise, you can have varying forms of democracies too.

You can have a Democratic Republic, which in essence is what the USA is. If it isn't democratic, then what is it?

You guys all have the right to vote, correct? Yes.

You guys all elect representatives, don't you? Yes.

That means it is democratic.

You guys don't have a King or Queen do you? No, you elect your Head of State, meaning you are a Republic.

Hence, you are a DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC.

It is THAT SIMPLE.

I can't believe so many people here do not understand the meaning of some very simple words. I sometimes wonder what they teach you guys in school over there, seriously.

[edit on 26/12/09 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I don't "misunderstand" anything, I simply wasn't clear enough in my post.

I should have added a "constitutional" before "republic" and put that in to describe the difference between a democracy and what we are supposed to have for a government.

Right now we have an unchecked democracy for a government.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by mnemeth1]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

But....

A Constitutional Republic where you have elections is Democratic! There is no two ways about it.

You can have an undemocratic Constituional Republic in theory, although in practice this would be a wierd state of affairs.

Again with the not understanding what the word means...

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

But....

A Constitutional Republic where you have elections is Democratic! There is no two ways about it.

You can have an undemocratic Constituional Republic in theory, although in practice this would be a wierd state of affairs.

Again with the not understanding what the word means...

A constitutional republic is not a pure democracy.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Who said anything about a "pure" democracy? What is a "pure" democracy?

In policial theory, there is no such thing anyway.

You may be referring to a direct democracy, but this really only works on the small scale in everyday business. I believe in the US that local Government is a form of direct democracy anyway, with town hall meetings and votes, for example.

But, to get back to the point, a Constitutional Republic where the "people" elect their representatives and Head of State is democratic by nature. No amount of spin or word play changes this.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Who said anything about a "pure" democracy? What is a "pure" democracy?

In policial theory, there is no such thing anyway.

You may be referring to a direct democracy, but this really only works on the small scale in everyday business. I believe in the US that local Government is a form of direct democracy anyway, with town hall meetings and votes, for example.

But, to get back to the point, a Constitutional Republic where the "people" elect their representatives and Head of State is democratic by nature. No amount of spin or word play changes this.

Constitutional republic describes our form of government, its a form of democracy, but the word democracy is not needed.

To call our system a democracy is not correct, because it is a constitutional republic. To use just the word democracy in and of itself refers the populace controlling government. A "direct" or "pure" democracy refers to majority rule where the people vote on every government decision. Most people have been brainwashed into associating the word "democracy" with majority rule.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join