It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are losing our Freedoms and Obama is the cause

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Many people seem to believe they are losing their freedom, I can understand the sentiment but I am not sure it is consistent with reality. I base this on my own experience and a long bit of reflection; I can do, say, think, feel, express and believe the same things I could last year or the year before.

At the same time many of you claim that Obama is destroying the fabric of this nation which is liberty.

So I ask any and all of you to list the freedom you have lost in this past year. Let us stick to individual experience, since this fear seems to run rampant with the folks who believe the basis of liberty is individualism.

Please list this loss in a logical fashion so we can have a good discussion

NOTE; I will assume no freedom has been lost if nothing is listed, so go at it.

[edit on 25-12-2009 by Janky Red]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Well - I am free to do well or screw up as I see fit, same ol here Janky Red-

Itching to see this list GROW

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
WELL OP - I think this notion is used as a rallying cry and a way to create more opposition. However I think the charge is an emotional one, not a rational one and
serves no place in real debate, unless of course there is evidence over looked, yet to be considered.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

For starters we have all lost the freedom to privacy. Cameras cover capital cities across the nation with facial recognition software is being used in the name of "homeland security." Secret internet hubs filter all information presented on the internet, and suspicious activity is monitored by government agencies. Satellite technology has the capabilities to listen in on every single phone call made, and these capabilities are activated with certain "trigger" words. Everyday citizens including family, friends, neighbors, and associates are joining government monitoring groups such as infragard and operation bright eyes to secretly spy on everyday citizens. All in the name of National Defense and the Patriot Act. Police now have the authority to search your house without you ever knowing if they "classify" you as a terror suspect for whatever reasons. We have all lost the right to privacy, and these are just the projects and technology that we are aware of. Imagine what they are using that is still classified. And I would put my money on the fact that they watch this site very closely. Perhaps you and I have been on their radar before. We won't really ever know, but the reality of the situation is very terrifying when you stop and think about it.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I really can't come up with any prime examples off hand myself.

But the again I can't come up with any his administration has returned to us as he said he would. I do remember him agreeing that the bush administration was bad for personal liberties, so through his inaction he is at least now guilty of being a co-conspirator.

But before bush, our rights were already being eroded, I guess we'll just have to lay blame back for many presidents. That does not mean that obama gets a pass as he has shown he's quite happy to play the same course as they.

Now i ask you, what rights and freedoms has he fought to return to us? What part of the constitution he swore to uphold has been restored under his watch?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
In California, we lost our infrastructure.
Roads and highways have potholes so bad it's dangerous to drive especilly at night.
The money for repairs is placed into the general via state and federal gas taxes on every gallon we buy. But the money redirected to prisons, police, and schools based upon union mandates from Democrate control of state government.
Have you seen Obama driving here lately?
No way!

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

And this has to do with Obama....how?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
No. Obama is not the cause.

Stupid is the cause.
Stupid should be painful.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Obama is continue to divert the revenue on the Federal taxes on a gallon.
Until about election time...

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Well what "part" of the Constitution would you want him personally to "restore"?
How about due process for Gitmo detainees? An open trial in NYC?
Seems like a step forward.
For all the griping about healthcare, it WAS done by Congress in the Constitutionally mandated manner.
Every time there is a Democtrat in the White House the fear mongering mentally unstable ultra right predicts dictatotship. In the course of reading about WW2, I read about the Reubs predicting the end of America under that RED FDR. didn't happen did it? People like to bitch, the ultra right HATES Obama. They also hate the democratic process. Crazy ain't it?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The right to have a say when it comes to my own medical coverage.

Maybe Im wrong, but forcing me to go to jail or paying a big fee because I refuse to being forced to pay for something I do not want, is taking away one of my rights.
(Unless this has been proven untrue)

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Lets start with a complete repeal of the patriot act shall we. It seems he is moving to renew it.

He spoke against it before, now he is moving to support it. The man is a constitutional scholar, he knows better.

My post is no attack on any one president, I had thought that was clear.

I am simply pointing out he's a continuation of a path we have been on for some time.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
im curious where "freedom of privacy" appears in the constitution?

You going into the street on a public road, in a public park, etc, does not give you the RIGHT TO PRIVACY.

Its funny to see liberal bleedy hearts crying for "lost freedoms" (freedoms we never had to begin with).

It reminds me of a line from the movie SWAT (With Colin Ferall) when LL Cool J busts the black guy in the lakers suit, and the black woman sweeping her porch is screaming at LL Cool J saying "thanks for helping out the problem by arresting the BLACK man!" basically riding his ass for arresting a fellow black human being.

LL Cool J's response was "Yah? We'll see how liberal you are when he's breaking into your home"

The same people screaming " DONt take my picture" will be screaming "What happened? Where was our surveillance" when another 9/11 happens.

Thats exactly what they scream about 9/11 on one hand, then scream "privacy privacy privacy!" on the other.

Its called absolute stupidity.

Kind of like absolute zero - only much worse.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Just because legislation is proceeded according to the Constitution does not immediately deem it as being constitutional.

I also would digress to your statement that only when a Democrat is in the White House, fear-mongering ensues. What about the overhaul of Social Security? President Bush suggested it and Congress didn't even get to debating it because of the fear-mongering that was spewed out. It happens on both sides of the aisle.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I would state that Obama is not the cause but a symptom. He's no different than his predecessor (except that he more closely resembles a human).

Far be it from me to say something nice about the Obamachrist, but at least he can pronounce `nuclear'.

Anyway, he's implementing a plan. It's not his: he's just there for show.

My opinion, of course.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Bush wanted to "privatize" Social Security. Damn straight it scared the hell out of people. I was one.

Back to Obama:

I don't see any further erosion of my freedoms since Obama took office. It's pretty hard to do much more after Bush. Repealing more of the Patriot Act would be nice, but he's got to go through Congress to get that. Also restoring the Posse Comitatus Act, which Bush sneakily took away when no one was looking, would be a step in the direction of freedom.

The main infringement on my rights, as I see it, is he has stepped up the war in Afghanistan without a declaration of war from the Congress.

Basically, many people's gripe with Obama is that he hasn't changed the world in a year. Presidents, fortunately or unfortunately, have to work with the House and the Senate. They do not govern by divine right.

Any sort of change in the U.S. has to be incremental.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

President Obama, along with others, past and present want to make health care 'public'. What is the difference? My point was not to point out right or wrong but that there is fear mongering on both sides on nearly every issue. Those that claim Mr. Obama detractors, and by proxy, left haters or whatever else labels people like to place, are only doing it because it is a democrat in office and all people on the right hate the left. It goes both ways and to only state one side is ignorantly and/or blindly not seeing the other side of the fence.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What most fail to see is that the Executive, regardless of say the past 50 years, is still the weakest branch within the Federal government. No power, except the bully pulpit and 'we, the People'.

Presidents come and go, make lofty plans and have either strong visions or weak ones. They do not however, make laws, judge laws, declare war (except for the disastrous and side-stepping yellow congress that has abdicated all authority to the president.) --- Actually I believe Presidential War-Powers has been upheld in the U.S. Supreme Court, but again, nothing is absolute.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

For starters we have all lost the freedom to privacy. Cameras cover capital cities across the nation with facial recognition software is being used in the name of "homeland security." Secret internet hubs filter all information presented on the internet, and suspicious activity is monitored by government agencies. Satellite technology has the capabilities to listen in on every single phone call made, and these capabilities are activated with certain "trigger" words. Everyday citizens including family, friends, neighbors, and associates are joining government monitoring groups such as infragard and operation bright eyes to secretly spy on everyday citizens. All in the name of National Defense and the Patriot Act. Police now have the authority to search your house without you ever knowing if they "classify" you as a terror suspect for whatever reasons. We have all lost the right to privacy, and these are just the projects and technology that we are aware of. Imagine what they are using that is still classified. And I would put my money on the fact that they watch this site very closely. Perhaps you and I have been on their radar before. We won't really ever know, but the reality of the situation is very terrifying when you stop and think about it.

I think you are very correct on the privacy issue, people will allow many intrusions in the name of SECURITY. I may be wrong, but I fear the day this apparatus is used for ENFORCEMENT (like traffic cams) - but go farther and imagine a world where all your actions are scrutinized and you are penalized remotely...

I do not think this can be added to the list of Obama freedom stripping, but it is something to be vigilant about, I think the enforcement or use of this system
is the key consideration.

I was ultimately asking if you have been impeded or forbidden to ___,____,_____ in any manner...

Thanks

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I Think the Average person should not worry about the "Big Brother" ..

The Gov't will not listen to your cell phone conversation about the American Idol ..

Under the Bush Administration .. i was a member of various Far-Left Organizations (Including the Communist Youth Group) .. no Gov't official knocked on my door, no weird stuff, etc etc. ..

This Big Brother stuff is all paranoia .. things have not gone THAT far yet ... so don't worry.. for now ..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join