learn more

Man Attempts to Set Off Explosives on Plane

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Well it seems that the president is taking this incident seriously:

As President Barack Obama vacations in Hawaii, officials say he's keeping up to date on what's described as a terror attempt on board a Northwest Airlines plane that was about to land in Detroit.

“The President was notified of the incident this morning between 9:00 and 9:30 Hawaii time by the President's military aide. The President subsequently convened a secure conference call with John Brennan, his Homeland Security and Counter-terrorism Adviser, and Denis McDonough, NSS Chief of Staff.

“He asked to arrange a subsequent secure call and in that call instructed that all appropriate measures be taken to increase security for air travel. The President is actively monitoring the situation and receiving regular updates. There is currently no change to his schedule.”

www.foxnews.com

"Secure call," "appropriate measures," "actively monitoring." That sounds serious.

[edit on 2009/12/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Flight # 253 had 278 passengers and 11 crew members.

253 + 278= 531 = 9

11 crew members

I always find the numbers the news reports interesting. "Terrorist" scares have had similar numbers over the years. Nines and elevens. I usually check just for the fun of it, and it always seems the same patterns.

Not calling conspiracy, just weird.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Just thought I'd throw in the fact that I have accidentally taken fireworks on a plane before. I used to have a day-to-day messenger bag that I used for just about everything, including taking bottle rockets and firecrackers to fourth of July/new years/whatever..

I am normally pretty vigilant about cleaning it out before a flight to prevent hassles at security, however I was once throughly amused to find some bottle rocket heads (broken off their wooden shafts) in the bottom of my bag after a flight. I wonder how easy it really is to take things on flights, even with all of these security measures in place.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Those who would suggest that the war against terrorism is a waste need only to pay attention to these continued efforts to kill and maim innocents in the name of Islam.

It is as yet unclear how dangerous these explosives might have been, but it is just another reminder that the war against the US continues.

We can never let down our guard as history has shown.

The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2009/12/25 by GradyPhilpott]

I agree - we need to spend more resources and manpower on protecting our citizens here at home - instead of spending billions of dollars and spilling gallons of blood in useless foreign wars.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by mrsoul2009]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Yeah probably a higher chance of getting on a plane with a terrorist than getting killed by lightning.

Odds of being struck by lightning: 576,000 to 1

Odds of being killed by lightning: 2,320,000 to 1

Odds of drowning in a bathtub: 685,000 to 1

Chance of dying in a terrorist attack while visiting a foreign country: 1 in 650,000

Better get rid of your bathtub also ask the government for help to rid of it because its just as dangerous.

In the least bit of disrespect you are a example of why we keep losing our rights everyday in America to fear mongering bullsh** put out by the government.

I should keep listing things to just prove a point.

Odds of being murdered: 18,000 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585

Chance of dying from any kind of fall: 1 in 20,666

Chance of dying from accidental drowning: 1 in 79,065

Chance of dying from exposure to smoke, fire, and flames: 1 in 81,524

Chance of dying in an explosion: 1 in 107,787

[edit on 25-12-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

Where in the world are you getting your stats?

Who are all these people slipping and dying the shower?

More people slip and die in the shower than from car accidents?

Jesus man either you totally made up your numbers or the shower and tub are one of the most dangerous places in the country?

[edit on 26-12-2009 by Desolate Cancer]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
The war on terror is an absolute waste.

Just like the "War on Drugs", it's an open check for whatever "THEY "feel is "right" to stop or end it instead of tackling the real problem.

Listen to the video link I,m going to give you below, this is one of our very well respected members here on ATS, and just listen to what he has to say about the "War on Drugs"", it is his own opinion as a law enforcement officer, but it sure makes sense, ...

Ask A Cop *The Video Series*

And in my book, we're looking at just as much money being thrown away on this "War on Terror" that could be dealt with by just not US being sooo hands on or trying to "control" other countries.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

So you are further assuming that just because I have a different view than you I am automatically on some other side that includes the OP. Even though historically we have been on opposing sides?

All I will say is that if you want to continue to divide everyone into your "my way or the highway" mentality, then your only purpose is to quiet those of us that will continue to voice our opinion. That is the American way. If you want anything different, then you don't belong here.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
purpleslinky.com...

Some more shower saftey tips for those in fear of dying a horrible death from a shower slip and fall.

OK, there I was, thinking of new ways to take over the world when suddenly I realized the overwhelming danger of taking showers. I decided it would be pertinent to share in the name of public safety some precautions you should take and list some things you should never do when taking a shower.

This list has been approved by the International Shower Safety Coalition, dedicated to stopping the needless shower crimes world wide.
Without further delay let’s start the list.

Go to link to see the list link.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Do you really think so? You really believe that this stands as further proof that our countries' intentions are truly noble, and that God would accept the horrors of war and conflict because someone rejects peace?

I disagree with you entirely. This is exactly what a certain few want you to believe. If you live in fear, then you will allow your 'protectors' to further encroach on your liberties in the name of safety and combating evil extremists.

Our governments are currently embroiled in the very risky game of fear mongering in order to maintain world wide control. The next phase will be to state and further illustrate that individual governments just don't have the authority and power necessary to combat these evils, and it is only logical that a singular, all encompassing entity is required to save us from such extremist elements.

Certainly, there is a danger. Yet, fear is a controlling mechanism used expertly in order to disrupt complacency so to distract from other important events slipping under the radar (many of those issues are brought up on ATS on a daily basis, like hidden provisions in a health bill that has far reaching social implications).

Our freedoms are under attack on a daily basis, I completely agree with that. Yet, terrorists and extremists are a drop in the bucket compared to the people who regulate our social policies to their own ends. Wait till the smoke clears with who is behind the resurgence of the Taliban.

Imagine for a moment, that there is a real possibility that our tax dollars are secretly being funneled to these extremists in order to unbalance the current economic and social structures currently in effect. Do you honestly believe that every last cent of the TARP money currently spent was used in a transparent and legal manner?

Even if you do, proving it and showing where all that money went would be difficult at best, and impossible at worst. Face it, our leaders are not being honest with us, and you should at least ponder the consequences of nations not demanding complete transparency and egalitarianism from our politicians.

Sure, being blown up and losing our beautiful landmarks is frightening, but discovering who is really behind this is beyond most people's comfort zones to even begin pondering.

A Christmas day bombing, on the day that symbolizes peace and love. If I were in charge and hated the general population, I would have no problem using a plane explosion to further expand my nefarious goals.

I notice a lot of people don't seem to think that their governments are capable of selling us out, while leaving us in an environment of debilitating fear to get their way. History is riddled with examples of leaders and governments taking every advantage they can get, while the little people starve in the fields.

Killing the people trying to kill us is not the answer. I can't tell you exactly what that answer is, but the only time war truly brings peace is when everybody is dead and rotting on the battlefield.

Your sentiments although completely understandable, fall right in to the hands of those who want to continue to feed the war machine, and all they need is a foiled suicide attempt on an airplane to get the job done.

Accomplishing the task would have most likely been the preferred outcome, but the fear is generated regardless of the outcome. Then people will once again set aside their anger at the lack of our basic needs being met, and will rally behind their governments, allowing them to further intrude into our lives.

There is an endgame, and we are nothing but expendable pawns to the very people who swore to defend our basic right to live in happiness, peace, and good fortune. I can't trust a government to run a war when my state's roads are the worst in the nation and our economy is bleeding workers like a ruptured jugular vein.

This is just another thinly veiled attempt to convince people to live in fear, all the while our millionaire's club of political leaders rob us blind and reduce us to an impoverished worker class. Then even if one does disagree with the retaliation to this attempt, those who argue will be lumped in with them as sympathizers or worse.

Really, your beliefs on this very important issue are exactly what our political leaders want you to believe. The only thing that will come of this is further restrictions of our freedoms and considerably more blood shed.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by GideonHM]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OpTiMuS_PrImE

Odds of drowning in a bathtub: 685,000 to 1

How about if you take away all of the numpties from the equation, then this would be much less odds.

Chance of dying in a terrorist attack while visiting a foreign country: 1 in 650,000

If you were on a plane and a bomb went off that caused the plane to crash, then the odds of dying would be close to 1.

Certain deaths from household activities and even road accidents can only be prevented to a certain extent, and it's up to the individuals whether they be smart or really stupid. There's always a risk in anything, and certain risks can be reduced, and especially in the cases where victims do not have any real control such as in airplanes.

[edit on 26-12-2009 by john124]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124

If you were on a plane and a bomb went off that caused the plane to crash, then the odds of dying would be close to 1.

If you were taking a dump on the throne and dropped a bomb and your toilet exploded killing you your odds of dying would be close to 1.

That's pointless. I hope you got the point of your argument!

[edit on 26-12-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

If you were taking a dump on the throne and dropped a bomb and your toilet exploded killing you your odds of dying would be close to 1.

Exactly, but if you take away the numpties from your shi*tting equation, then the odds would be almost 0.

There are larger odds of dying by other means than terrorism, but not household related incidents when you take all the numpties out of the equation.

Control of a situation is definitely relevant and is more the point I was making. If people are too stupid to drive sensibly taking precautions, then those particular people will increase the average odds of dying on the roads. You are more likely to die from a car crash than by terrorism, but at least being in reasonable control of your own car you have the feeling & perception of being safer. Of course an idiot driving a lorry could drive straight thru' you instead, and that would be as uncontrollable as a plane crash. But how does the govt. prevent those kind of road accidents? There are obviously feasible ways to prevent airplane terrorism, as many attacks have been foiled.

I still don't see your original point, because you seem to be saying that it doesn't matter that people die from plane crashes because people die more often from other incidents, even though some of these other incidents can not feasibly be significantly prevented by the govt. taking more precautions. It seems you are justifying letting acts of terrorism occur because people die elsewhere anyway, which is a pathetic attempt at justifying it.

Also you have no proof of this being a false-flag event intended to take away your rights. You should stop watching the brainwashing CNN who obviously want to terrify people by bringing up 9/11 and potentially more attacks on the horizon every time there's an attempted terrorist attack, as they are only going to cause hysteria. Mass media hysteria is probably what brainwashes people to think their govt. is always trying to do them harm, especially Fox & CNN treating these incidents as forms of entertainment.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Yep statistics are pretty useless to the individual - the dude getting his head bitten off by an alligator wont be thinking to him self that the odds that happening are almost none existent compared to say drowning in your own bath water!... Statistics are just no use at all to Joe Blogs - all he cares about would be "Why God why meeeee!"

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

Never thought I would agree with GideonHM, but I categorically 100%.

If you were apart of the government, who is rather unpopular and declining in the polls, what is the best way to unite a population under your leadership? Answer: fear.

An old ATS member once predicted it wouldn't be long before a "terrorist incident" occurred on or near Christmas. It is extremely emotive and sensitive - which strikes at the core of the population.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Does it really matter if it was 'firecracker' or whatever? The event will result in tighter security; which of course means more hassle and less freedom.

False flag or single idiot or part of terrorist organization its all the same result.

More fear to the people.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwoPhish
You can't even take on a lighter so how is this possible?

Fact check, you can take lighters on to planes. You can even read about it on the TSA website: www.tsa.gov...

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Well, Here in The Netherlands since few weeks we have a discussion in parliament if we should quit Afghanistan Mission. This since we were always promissed in 2010 we leave there with our soldiers. Now our some ministers are saying we shouldn't go and
i sense, under the Dutch people, that the majority wants us to leave there, since it costs so much money and we here have to work till 67 instead of 65 before we get our pension ( just an example to show that here has to be spend much less money by our government).

Now in the middle of this political discussion... THIS.

Wouldn't this be the perfect false flag to let our soldiers also stay in Afghanistan. This is a perfect reason to let us believe we should stay in Uruzgan (afghanistan).
The alledged bomber also has "admitted"he works for Al Quaida. After a few hours he did this, so fast they "know"this already? I smell a rat..

Also now in newsreactions people here are "asking"for more scurity at Schiphol, Amsterdam where the plane left to the US. Isn't this all tptb could ask for?

I sense this whole thing could have something to do with continuing the Dutch Mission in Afghanistan against AQ and the Talibs and raising security levels..

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Do not forget the Pope was attacked on Christmas Eve. If the pontiff and a commercial airline were both involved in terrible incidents, before and after Christmas Day - Christians will be rather fearful.

TPTB have been rather busy this Christmas...

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Stephanie van Herk, a passenger from the Netherlands who was in seat 18B, said the Northwest plane had lowered its landing gear when she heard a loud bang. At first she thought the plane might have gotten a flat tire, but then she said saw a flame leap from the lap of a man sitting in the row behind her in the window seat, 19A.

Mr. Mudallad suffered 3rd-degree burns when the device detonated on approach to Detroit, according to Mr. King. He said none of the other passengers was seriously injured.

The man told investigators that he was given the device by al Qaeda operatives in Yemen, where he was also given instructions on how to detonate it, the U.S. official said.

Is it the Yemen fourth of July?

Once passengers realized the suspect's pants were on fire, they called for water, according to Ms. Van Herk, her sister, Dominique van Herk, and their cousin, Celeste van Herk.

The man was pulling his burning pants down, Stephanie van Herk said. She and several other passengers got water from the galley and the man was doused with water. Then a male Dutch passenger jumped on the perpetrator, Ms. van Herk said.

Still I think the passengers were lucky, regardless.

To me it sounds like a "box of matches or fire cracker" ignited by accident in the mans trouser pocket,
Thank god some of the passengers quickly put out the fire with water

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Looks like we are off to Yemen.

Been doing some research, the United Kingdom has 4,000 troops in Saudi Arabia - with 1,000 of the main force in Oman (neighbouring Yemen) The United States have similar operational setup in the Middle East.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join