It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's north magnetic pole racing towards Russia due to core flux (See note)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
in.news.yahoo.com...

Washington, December 25 (ANI): A new research has determined that Earth's north magnetic pole is racing toward Russia at almost 40 miles (64 kilometers) a year due to magnetic changes in the planet's core.

This is absolutely crazy! I won't comment too much on it right away because I don't fully understand the ramifications of it. Dedicate this thread to the discussion of how this will impact us as a people?

(Note
Tried to put this in BREAKING NEWS But the 'compression rate' had an error or something.

MOD edit:
put see note at end of title, added quote tags

[edit on Sat Dec 26 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RjKon

That sounds pretty pretty bad but i have no idea of the ramifications of this either need some conformations on this by some pro's.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpTiMuS_PrImE
reply to post by RjKon

That sounds pretty pretty bad but i have no idea of the ramifications of this either need some conformations on this by some pro's.

haha i wonder what the skeptics of the pole shift theory ( the general idea not the doom and gloom aspect ) will have to say; yet more reason for me to continue my absolute non-stance on a many subjects

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
We don't really know what this will mean for humanity. We know a few of the possible effects:
  • Some species use magnetism to help migrate. This means that some species of birds, for example, could have a harder time finding their traditional routes.

• Compasses will point toward the new locations, meaning traditional mapping will have an inaccuracy.

• The location of the auroras will shift with the magnetic poles.

• The holes in the ozone layers will also shift with the magnetic poles.

• If the magnetic poles shift far enough from the rotational poles, it wil create a more dynamic interaction with solar winds. What this will mean overall is not fully understood.

Now, if this is indicative of a major change in the core, then it could lead to drastic weather pattern shifts, increased tectonic activity, etc. But so far all these are just theories, with precious little evidence to back them up. It is also possible that this could have some bearing on the recent heating phenomena we experienced (according to the article, this is not wholly new, but an acceleration of a continuing trend), but again, it's just a theory.

If the movement continues, I'm sure we'll discover what it means.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I saw just a few days ago, a vid explaining this in a pretty layman terms, the sun spins faster at the equator than it does at the poles, and that is what is causing the polarshifts on the sun.

Then the sun goes into an KaBoom state and bombards the Earth so much the our Magnetic field gets tatally broken down leaving the Earth wide open for some 'good hot summers' as the poles realign after the sun has 'fixed it self'...

I also read an article which I dont have hany at the moment, it was called 'there is a third magnet in town' and was pretty interesting...

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RjKon

Well, if this is true then we're in for a world of hurt if it keeps moving. I'm not an expert on magnetism, magnetic fields, generation of magnetic fields, etc... but, it does seem to me that the orientation of the field is directly linked to the orientation of the things that spin to generate the field. Something inside the earth is 'tipping' in order for the magnetic pole to shift, and if it tips too much I'd have reason to believe that it could have an effect on the earths physical rotation. Pretty much in a bad way.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
we could do with phage`s opinion on this one,he allway`s put`s my over active mind at ease with these scary stories

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I thought the true Magnetic pole shifted all the time anyhow? I used to remember having to make a 5 degree alteration to ordnance survey maps when we where using them back in the 80's while orienteering.

I do know it does shift, and there is a team who are assigned to finding it's actual location, which is a full time job, maybe it has just increased speed?

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well, I can tell you that we up here in the frozen north do feel something going on, or at least some of us do. We get the same feeling of being on a ship, or of the earth 'moving' under our feet at times. It's pretty bizarre but has been noticable to the point of interfering with daily activity since mid-October. It's not flu or any other physical malady. There are some of us who are sensitive to it and others who aren't, at least yet. I'm not actually in Russia, but maybe Finland is close enough, eh?

It's not something we feel on a daily basis. It comes and goes, sometimes stronger and more persistent, other times it's more subtle. But it can be felt whether you're lying in bed or sitting at your desk at all times of the day. Even when doing something as active as running or as slow as grocery shopping, it can be felt. There are four in my immediate circle of friends plus my two daughters who feel it as well as me myself for a total of seven giving independent reports. We all feel it at the same times and with the same strength.

I shudder to think how we're going to cope if something really drastic happens. We'll probably fall off the floor! lol

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I'm no expert, but I think Pole Shifts happen on the sun everytime there is a Solar Maximum, the last flip being in 2001.

The next Solar Maximum should have been 2012 going by the 11yr Solar Cycle, but because the Sun has been in a huge lull, this Solar Max is now Forecast for the 1st quarter of 2013.

There was no damage on Earth during the previous Solar Pole Shift in 2001.

Here is a very informative document from 2001 (ignore the 2012 reference as this is old news)

science.nasa.gov...

[edit on 25-12-2009 by grantbeed]

[edit on 25-12-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

• Some species use magnetism to help migrate. This means that some species of birds, for example, could have a harder time finding their traditional routes.

• I just saw flocks (scant) of crane making their migration south along the river on Dec. 21st...

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:08 PM
    link   
    reply to post by grantbeed

The suns magnetic polls are not the same thing as the earths magnetic polls

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:16 PM
    link   
    reply to post by mosesgunner

Both the Sun's and the Earth's poles are shifting now. I wonder how often that happens? (Not enough interested to find out though. lol)

It seems to me that there is an awful lot going on in our little solar system right now. Atmospheres dissipating and huge magnetic clouds rolling through. Moons lighting up inexplicably and so forth. It probably happens all the time, but all at once? Never a slow news day out there.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:19 PM
    link   
    reply to post by mosesgunner

yes, thats correct.

I wonder what the actual implications will be of this happening , if any? After all they say it been moving for a long time, and it already has flipped in the past.

Although the new research seems to back up this idea, Chulliat is skeptical whether magnetic north will eventually cross into Russia.

It seems even the scientists are unsure.

Is there any solid evidence anywhere of the last magnetic pole shift here on earth? was'nt there ice core samples taken that proved this?

I cant seem to find this information.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:22 PM
    link   
    Increased magma activity could not possibly contribute to polar ice melting, could it?

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

[edit on 25-12-2009 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:23 PM
    link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
    reply to post by ChemBreather

I'm no expert, but I think Pole Shifts happen on the sun everytime there is a Solar Maximum, the last flip being in 2001.

The next Solar Maximum should have been 2012 going by the 11yr Solar Cycle, but because the Sun has been in a huge lull, this Solar Max is now Forecast for the 1st quarter of 2013.

There was no damage on Earth during the previous Solar Pole Shift in 2001.

Here is a very informative document from 2001 (ignore the 2012 reference as this is old news)

science.nasa.gov...

That is nice, I love stories with happy endings, yet, this time around we have a load of things in space affecting us as well, so it isn't just the'normal' flip of the solar poles.....

The deal is this, the Earth rides on this electric node ring emitted from the sun, all the planets does this, when the sun does it thing with the 'added' effect from the incoming forcefield, there will be a normal solar polarshift x10 or 20 or something, the Earths megnetic field will be blown apart and there is no stability, as the shield is gone, the Earths crust gets warmer as in Not solid to hold the plates in its place, they start to drift, and it doesnt have anything to do with the Co2...It is the Microwave effect from the Sun and Space that is doing this....The Big Squize,we gonna go thru the extreme in and we are going to go thru the extreme out. 7 years in Totall, Tribulation any one ??? How many years ?

Well, there is so much more to this, I really cant explain, but, why is there a 350 year old cross in France speaking of this??? Seriously, one have to be in really deep denial to discard such old 'tell-tales' wouldnt you agree?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:47 PM
    link   
    Wonder...will this possibly produce affects in axis spin and direction of Earth rotation

LOVE

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:57 PM
    link   
    thats nice...last poleshift 780.000 years ago.........wassend it close to the last eruption of long valley caldera???

Long Valley Caldera, California, United States - ~760,000 years ago (600 km³)

Not a Reversal

The shift is likely a normal oscillation of the Earth's magnetic field, Stoner said, and not the beginning of a flip-flop of the north and south magnetic poles, a phenomenon that last occurred 780,000 years ago.

Such reversals have taken place 400 times in the last 330 million years, according to magnetic clues sealed in rocks around the world. Each reversal takes a thousand years or more to complete.

"People like to think something special is happening in their lifetimes, but despite the dramatic changes, I don't see any evidence of it," Stoner said. "It's probably just a normal wandering of the pole."

news.nationalgeographic.com...

[edit on 25-12-2009 by ressiv]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:02 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Deny Arrogance
    Increased magma activity could not possible contribute to polar ice melting, could it?

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

I've always thought about this, especially when there were massive volcanoes erupting under the ice.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 04:22 PM
    link   
    I beg to differ with this being a minor problem. I wanted to talk about the 1,000s of years that it takes for one rotation.

Here's my example. We are getting closer to the center of our solar system correct? Next to that big oh thang called the black hole. I believe that we are at a stage of change due to that reason. We are getting closer and closer but the problem is that we have to be in the VERY center for it to show any huge drastic changes. Think of a golf ball trying to get a hole in one. The only way for a drastic change is that ball gets into the hole. SO right now we have some minor affects and we should suddeny see more and more. 2012 people 2012

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join