It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to work on new nuclear missiles: Medvedev

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Russia to work on new nuclear missiles: Medvedev

ca.news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia will work on a new generation of atomic weapons to strengthen its nuclear deterrent, President Dmitry Medvedev said on Thursday, just hours after Moscow test-fired one of its most feared missiles.

Medvedev said that Russia and the United States were close to a landmark deal on cutting arsenals of Cold War nuclear weapons, but that Moscow would still push ahead with the development of new strategic offensive weapons.

"Of course, we will develop new systems, including delivery systems, that is, missiles," Medvedev told the directors of Russia's three main state
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 12/27/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
While Russia is actively advancing theirs...
I wonder if this is due to a mild arms race in the mid-east?

I hope the UN responds to this..... at least to question why??

Although, I'm sure NATO scientists are doing the same....
but at least they keep it a secret.

d.yimg.com...

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 12/27/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I don't know if it's a good idea.
Nuclear weapons can be used for blowing up big rocks that could come on a direct path to earth. What would we have then? It's the only line of defence against big asteroids. A reduction in nuclear arsenal sounds nice, but I would keep some fireworks just in case we have to nuke some rocks.
Nuclear weapons could one day hold the key to teraforming. So nukes are not all bad, it's just how we use them. Reducing the number of nuclear weapons sounds good, maybe let every country hold around 500 nukes, make an agreement and that is it.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
let every country hold around 500 nukes, make an agreement and that is it.

I know what you mean but you got to love how that statement came out

Just think how happy Iran would be to learn that they will be getting 500 nukes

Sorry

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Originally posted by pepsi78
let every country hold around 500 nukes, make an agreement and that is it.

I know what you mean but you got to love how that statement came out

Just think how happy Iran would be to learn that they will be getting 500 nukes

Sorry

I was saying about the countries that has them already, reduce them to an arsenal of 500 each. Of course this is just chit chat, won't happen.
Russia would not agree to it, they would be left vulnerable and open to attack. China has a mind of it's own also, United States would not agree also, besides the air force they have nothing except nukes. Russia and China has a better ground military force and ground capabilities.

Maybe a small reduction in the nuclear arsenal would be possible, but only small numbers, like I'll get rid of 1000 nukes and you do the same and we'll look good on tv, but that is nothing compared to the tens of thoulsands of nukes they have, it would be just look at me I'm good when in reallity they are sitting on a pile of nukes that can wipe the world out.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Sadly,I see this as more theatre for us masses-I cannot see ANY situation where planet earth will be freed from its nuclear sword of Damocles-They are just too important in maintaining the powers of those countries who have them.

Countries may agree to get rid,and have little TV progs showing nukes getting taken apart-but behind the screen no major country would dare to get rid off all their weapons.
Because of course,they would be scared that one or more countries may keep nukes secretly,instantly changing the power dynamic of the world.
Also,the knowledge of how to manufacture nukes is out there now-you can't put it back in the bottle.So to attempt to get rid of all nukes would take more trust than any country could safley afford to give-whats to say someone starts re manufacturing nukes after everyone else has destroyed theres?

top topics

join