It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Separation of Politics, Faith and your neighbors.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The following few sentences are for the most part fact. Perhaps phrasing could be awkward-but ultimately the core of the statements are: Fact.

To a Christian: All religions save Christianity are false.
To a Mulsim: All ways but Allah are false.
To an Atheist: All religions are false.
Etc. Etc.
On this day: Christianity is the dominant religion in the U.S.
On this day: The Constitution reads that "Congress shall make no law respecting religion.".
The Constitution also garauntees a separation of church and state.

One could digress on pointless banter about whether the founding fathers meant this or that when writing the constitution-but this thread is not about that. I am asking it of Christians because the U.S. is dominated by that faith.

This thread is about public public discourse and expressions.

Being Christmas time we are again innundated with articles claiming that Christmas is under attack, that "God" is not allowed in school. etc. etc.

I have a few questions to pose to the people who claim or feel these things, the questions will seem pithy at first, but please read to conclusion before posting a response.

1) People make claims that other religions are allowed in school. Like posting Menorahs and making reference to other religious events while ommiting Jesus.
My First question: If all other religions are false: How is this different than if the school talked about greek myths?
Second: they are learning their faith at home and at church. School is for learning things they would not nescessarily come in contact with. Where does the feeling of threat come from if they mention the Jewish holiday and why they observe as they do?

2) Public venues: There are a few passages in the bible that are generally regarded as advocating separation of church and state as well as keeping faith personal and not broadcast:

John:18:36. Jesus to Pontius Pilate: “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

Mark:12:17. "And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him"

Mathew:6:1-34. This section concerns prayer. Moreover Praying in private: It basically says that those who wear their faith on their sleeves are more or less scum: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

With these three sections we can conclude the following: The affairs of man and faith are like oil and water.
Not only does Jesus say Faith should be in the heart-not on the tongue he also says that God is not interested-at all-in the affairs of Men-outside of the realm of faith.

Second set of questions: Why is it important to have a city hall Manger? To have children in plays sing religous themed carols instead of more neutral songs that include all the students backgrounds? Why does there need to be a 10 Commandment statue in front of courtrooms? Why is it important to try and push through laws to further religious agenda? When did "Turning the other cheek(Peaceful resistance)" and the idea of loving everyone (Central tenents to the faith.) become so dark and twisted to seem to mean "Love those who are also Christian, but only if they are of my church.". Why does nobody point out that Jesus never said "Love the sinner, hate the sin." Instead he said "Love everyone, let God judge."?

Believers have their churches, homes and personally owned businesses. Why is it an afront to say "Not on public land or with public money."? Why isn't personal faith enough that one must go against Jesus and fight crusades to scream ones faith from every building and mountain around? When did Faith become a tool of political power instead of helping those who can't help themselves, a world where self-sacrifice turned into destroying buildings instead of offering time to feed the hungry.

I was thinking about the famouse Quote by Ghandi(paraphrased): "I like this Christ. I detest his followers." Which led me to think about the differences in the teachings and the practice. The above are the bigger points that as I am not a person of faith (note: Nor am I an Atheist per se) I felt ill equiped to answer. I was hoping I could get a broad response of answers.

Again: Please do not diverge down some path of whether the Constitution meant X or Y. There are countless threads for that- we don't need to address and argue that here as well. Also: Please do not simply post things that go "Religion is all a scam" or some weird anti-evolution Tirade or any other form of "Us-Versus-Them" mentality.

I am interested in why people feel threatened. I understand why the people do not like to have religious things in public. I don't understand why saying that faith does not belong in the government or why trying to include everyone in public events by going with neutral terms like "Happy Holidays" create an uproar.

So please: lets get a good and honest discussion going on this-where all can give input without anyone taking offence ie: starve the Trolls, cause they will undoubtedly appear.

join