It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District 9, Aliens and a Hard Look at Ourselves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The movie has been out on DVD now for long enough I feel safe posting this.

However to those that have not seen it, this may spoil some of it for you, be warned.

When I inserted the DVD, settled onto my couch, made comfortable the bowl of popcorn and took my first sip of soda, I was expecting a good to great SCI-FI flick. Well I got what I wanted, and more.

The movie was as expected, an excellent example of special effects and even some decent acting.

Yet, I got far more than I bargained for.

I received a lesson in my own humanity.

Others may not have gotten this much from this film, but I can not speak for others, only for myself.

I of course knew about the overtones of prejudice that is addressed in the film, I was expecting that; I was not expecting my reaction, my sudden and sickening revelations of who and what I am.

Faced with that which is so very foreign to us, we think ourselves so superior. Looking upon that which we consider strange, even grotesque, we know in our hearts we are the greater, more benevolent beings.

WHAT AUDACITY AND ARROGANCE WE HUMANS POSSES

Would we treat visitors to this rock of ours any differently? Perhaps, perhaps not.

What I do know is that we do not have the best track record. Our history of treating those that differ from us, would shake the very foundations of an enlightened species.

So, as I am dealing with my revelations and watching the film, my popcorn going untouched, my drink undisturbed, I began to think deeply about my own convictions, my own actions and my own thoughts. I then became deeply disturbed with myself.

Sure I talked a good game about equality and being color blind. But how would I act/react in the situation I was watching on the screen? How would I treat Aliens such as was being presented?

I began to remember jokes I had listened to, even laughed at. I was ashamed.
I thought of the stereotyping I was guilty of.

And I continued to watch the movie.

Then I saw the change in the movie. When the lead became infected and started to deal with it, when he suddenly realized these "Prawns" were intelligent and feeling, with emotions and an overwhelming desire to just get home, I started to routinely need to wipe the tears from my eyes. Not tears for the movie as much as tears for the soul within me I was seeing in clarity for the very first time.

Then when the star stood, faced certain death, did the "right" thing for perhaps the first time in his life; I wanted to jump up and scream.. THAT IS ME!!!!... That is how I would act!!!.. Yet is it? Sadly we are not a species that can change over night.

Yet we can change. Just exactly like Wikus did at the end, when finally he understood.

What does it take?

It takes understanding first and foremost who we are. Accepting what we are and wanting to change; wanting down in our souls to be better humans. Then living day to day with that change in our minds.

It takes movies like District 9

This should be required watching for all adults.

Semper

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
is this all part of the promotional contract you guys signed with tristar pictures?

it affects my ability to write an on topic post, knowing that im just part of an ad campaign.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

WHAT AUDACITY AND ARROGANCE WE HUMANS POSSES

Would we treat visitors to this rock of ours any differently? Perhaps, perhaps not.

What I do know is that we do not have the best track record. Our history of treating those that differ from us, would shake the very foundations of an enlightened species.

I'd have to agree with this. And let me get this out of the way right now-- although it was a movie, it wasn't "just" a movie. I refuse to believe that. Not that there's a conspiracy in movie-making, although I sometime suspect that there is at least some common thought going into these creations. Both District 9 and Avatar were more than simply entertainment -- they were artistic endeavors and just as art should be, they made a statement about this life. So, they had something more to say than just making money. When you think about it, the premise in both was risky considering most movies in the past 2 decades have generally made aliens appear evil and bloodthirsty.

It was a great movie, I just saw it today. But I saw parallels with Avatar, which I'd have to say is the best movie I've seen with only the Lord of the Rings trilogy as an exception. In both Avatar and District 9, more overtly in Avatar, there was a decision by the main character to fight against humanity. While in District 9 he really had no choice, in both we see humans as something really nasty. I have to admit, the way humans were portrayed in these movies was very accurate. Only small groups seemed to act with any decency toward other lifeforms. The bottom line in both movies was the "bottom line" -- huge profits regardless of the moral costs.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
is this all part of the promotional contract you guys signed with tristar pictures?

it affects my ability to write an on topic post, knowing that im just part of an ad campaign.

Heh. Yes, this movie was so obviously in your face about the same ole same ole concerning humanity's lack of consideration to all others.

But it was fun to watch. A big thank you to the college gal who works the counter and gives me the extra, layered butter stuff in my medium box of popcorn. I guess I remind you of your grandpa.

Weekday matinees while most folks are in school or at work. woohoo! $3.50 for an oldie like me to watch first run movies. Cool, and almost priceless.

I'm looking forward to a sequal. The storyline was definitely left open for this opportunity.

Don't mind me. I just like a good, fun, entertaining movie. Sci Fi, horror, I am at the 8 plex, sometime around 1 PM.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
first time i watched D9 I was on my own and cried hard. "You go ahead you can make it. Im gonna just hold them off here & I'll join you soon - take your boy and go home. You have to make it, dont make me go through all of this and not make it". Wikus' journey is complete and we finally see the best of humanity emerge. It was beautiful.

best sci-fi film in years. 10 times better than Avatar.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
There was a special on tv. I want to say the History Channel but I cannot swear. It was mostly about district 21 I think in SA. It was also about the movie. It was about the real parallels that exist that were the inspiration to begin with. It was really sad because the movie, if anything, is a more candy coated version of what is really happening there between different sets of human beings. It was something I caught a little ways in and was kind of busy. If anyone saw it and knows what I am talking about, that might be interesting. I saw it before I saw the movie. I am not sure if that was better or worse but it certainly made me feel for the aliens more when I could not help but remember they have real life human counterparts in Africa right now.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lillydale

I just wanted to add that while reading another thread about the movie, I finally took the time to look. The real number is 6, not 21. I was trying to remember. This article does not do justice to what I saw in the television special though. The really sad thing is that people do not believe this is real and this is FAR from the worst kinds of atrocities people regularly practice upon one another.

District 9, the new blockbuster film, was inspired by a very real South African disaster, District Six.

new topics

top topics

join