It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Thankful for My Government

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
thebulldog..

look into this book and see how you feel afterwards about your healthcare....
(good about your mom)

I have given this book to tons of people after I had to read it.

"Cancer -Step Outside the box"...by Ty Bollinger.....

When one is in desperation, we will do anything to survive. Isn't it more intelligent to prevent things than have to battle against them?

peas

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

I try to keep it a secret , but you since you let the cat out of the bag.

By now the American posters are bored with this Canadian Love In.

We know which country is the greatest on the planet.

Now STOP telling everyone, or we will have to build a WALL .

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm American and can only speak for the American Government. I'd be grateful for the American Government if it was doing what it was originally set up to do and nothing more. We'd be much better off than we are now that politicians have little by little made government much more invasive in our lives. For example, many of the things that you are grateful to the nanny state for should and would be done by the private sector or local government and done much more efficiently. Competition would ensure that efficiency... when done by governments, there is no competition and therefore efficiency is out the window.

Originally posted by For(Home)Country

Taxes is what uphold the social structure of benevolence for our society, and what forces, what would otherwise be selfish human nature, to contribute to society what we can to help others. Without taxes, our care would be simply limited to the ones we deem "good enough" to be cared for and only contribute to them whereas taxes ensure that there is a much larger pool of resources available for distribution on a national scale.

A much larger pool managed inefficiently amounts to the same thing. Why should the federal government be concerned with local issues? Don't you think that local governments would be much more effective in helping it's people... where he politicians have to live daily side by side their constituents? I wouldn't mind paying taxes for this either... but not to the federal government.

-My Government has kept me safe on several occasions, including the destruction of a recent plot of some people that were going to come shoot up and kill people at my University.

My local government has kept me safe too and I am thankful for that.

-Because of my Government, I am able to get financial assistance to go to school to earn a higher education without having to worry about working while at school, thus being able to devote my time to studying as the loan only has to be paid off once I get my degree.

-Because of said above point, many students can take advantage of this, go to school, and get a good education whereas they wouldn't otherwise be able to. One student going to school will, in the long run, benefit more people than just him/her self.

Working ones way through school is actually a good thing in case you haven't heard. It makes one appreciate the education and also gives one experience for when they start looking for a job after school. If everyone had to work their way through school the cost of education would be much, much lower, therefore, more people would be able to afford it. The government's "help" that you suggest is a good thing is not.

-My Government has ensured that there is proper transportation infrastructure so I can go home and see my parents every weekend, and they upkeep the infrastructure to ensure that my travels, along with the travels of millions of others, is kept as safe as engineerically possible.

Infrastructure is what a federal government should be limited to and I agree with your thankfulness here.

-The Government has help protected the cities and towns in my area time and time again during terrible floods and other natural disasters by utilizing the Military to help battle these circumstances, assisting people in protecting their way of life.

Again, would be done anyway much more effectively if not by the private sector then by local government and local taxes.

-My Government has put in place laws and guidelines that every Canadian must abide by to protect the rights of each and every one of us, ensure freedom, and allow us to do what we need and want to do, so as long as it doesn't harm others. Without this, we would be a selfish, destructive anarchy.

While I agree that these laws have done good, these same laws have created a sense of entitlement that is pervasive in our society and which is not a good thing. When businesses cannot fire bad, unproductive employees because of their race or when laws create protected classes above other classes, is that not discriminating against the unprotected class? Is discrimination good, in any form?

-The Government has ensured that every Canadian that walks out there on the street has the right to do what they need to, without hindrance from others. If there is, the party that has infiltrated someone else's life in a negative aspect will be dealt with accordingly, attempting to help return that person to a positive, contributing member of society.

The judicial branch is overall a good thing and I am thankful for it... however - they still only adjudicate laws - this is what the judicial branch was original made for. The laws themselves are the invasive items.

For me, Christmas time isn't just a religious event, or time together with family, but also another great opportunity to be thankful for all the good that has happened to me and those around me (as should every day). The Government, to me, is the single largest structure that prevents selfish human nature from seeping through into every part of society, wrecking countless lives as we all work for ourselves.

I am also very thankful for all that's been given me but, for sure, I do not attribute those things to the government. Yes, there are things that the government does that is good but seriously, they don't even come close to the top of my list of things I am thankful for and hopefully the government isn't at the top of your list either... even though this thread makes it sounds like it.

[edit on 24/12/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I am thankful that I can go to any corner and buy medicine from a store 24 hours a day.

I am thankful every city has a museum, or multiple museums, theaters, galleries and churches.

I am thankful I can major in what I want.

I am thankful that no matter where I go, I can call 911 in an emergency.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thebulldog

I work in a welfare office. And once a week I see people desperate to get health care coverage because they are seriously ill and can't pay the bills.

And then they can't work, and have to get food stamps.

I hope that none of us ever have to be in that position, going to the welfare office in a wheelchair.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
That's a very rational post. Whether we like to admit it or not, we need government.

I like our American system of government, especially the part that let's us vote out the scumbags and idiots. I just wish Americans took their right to vote more seriously.

I think there might be a mass awakening by the 2010 elections.

[edit on 2009/12/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If i may, i would like to point out a few things.

Most countries should be thankful for having some sort of governing body. Anarchy, while being very tantalizing when feeling bound and chained by over controling boundary stepping unmoralistic governers, is not as pretty as one would think.

Imagine living in a world where there is no law, and now imagine all the things that you WOULD do in that situation that you DONT do currently for fear of reprocussion. Now think about the number of hardened criminals and what they would do if there were no consequenses. Anarchy rule over a populace of morally minded people is fine, but there are many out there wo would make life miserable, and you would have no recourse other than to kill or do worse to defend and protect yourself.

Taxes? they are necessary. We all enjoy roads, schools, police, and other things that make our lives a little better, and often we find ourselves focusing on the bad and taking for granted the good. This is escpecially true when the governed begin to feel that the governing body is running away from the reigns of control, and spending the taxes freely without taking into consideration that every dollar they spend is equivalent to someones time and effort.

When the disconnect is made, and the government begins raising taxes, or ordering the people to spend thier wages on things that they dont want to or dont need, then the people have a right to be unhappy. In fact, they have a right to be unhappy at any point.

I think that alot of americans here on ATS are so angry over the recent plague of... well it is... taxation without representation, that when they express thier views they tend to forget exactly why they are angry, and the broad envelops of "government" is thrown into the mud, instead of the individuals responsible.

The system that we have in place here in america, and i mean the basic fundamentals of a republic, are fine. There are things that need to be updated in order to keep up with the times, but the basic moral values that are meant to be upheld are good solid building blocks for a decent and well run place. It seems that our governing officials (and not the idea of a government itself) have taken advantage of what privilages they have (and mind you i also feel that it seems they have forgotten that is IS a privilage and not a right) and have begun to run amuck.

I am thankful that there is a government in place. I am unhappy with what they are doing, and the manner that they function. I am fine with having a fair amount of my earned wages being placed into a pool of money to operate things and build things that we are not so easily capable of completing as individuals. I am unhappy that they continue to take more and more, and without due justification, in order to further thier lifestyles and continue this blatant disregard of what a dollar means to those who are giving it.

Most people do not want to see thier homes and country side torn and tattered from civil war. Take it from me, war is not a pretty site, and to see brothers against brothers is an atrocity that we only can read about in books from history, and we cannot begin to understand the true atrocities that really took place. However, when it comes to be that the blood and horrible things seem to be the only effective means of refreshing the moral pool of the governing body, then it may take place.

I understand that it seems so extreme to resort to such drastic measures, and no one wants it to happen. But if it means pressing the restart and providing a better place and way for our children and thier children, is it not worth it?

Any way, i rambled a bit, i completely agree with where you are coming from, and i understand your point completely. Just putting in my 2 cents (which after taxes is really nothing lol...)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There is a wealth of good statements here by contributing members I would love to reply to, but unfortunately I must partake of the season's festivities right now, and must leave. However, I wish you all the best of the season, and may you enjoy your time with friends and family! God bless you!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

I fight for the government as a tool of war, but its sad that they dont conduct "proper" maintenence on us when used up. Also they use tools in the most wrong and worst ways ever

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Never mind... I guess I'm just grumpy right now and no need to be a downer.

Peace.

[edit on 24/12/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Yeah but we need a government that is for the people, not out to manipulate the people.

Not a government that tosses our tax money off for bribes to get the votes they need.

Not a militarized police state as it is now becoming more than ever.

Not a government where the rich run the president and country from behind closed doors.

Not a government that has gov run health care and if you don't buy throws you in jail.

Not a crooked systems that throws its war vets. to the wind ending up homeless after they went and put their lifes on the line for our country.

Anyone in this thread saying their proud of their US government is blind, everything we have now that is good by them can be countered with a 100 bad things. The things we do have are our legal right to have at any giving time.

Sadly our legal rights have been sh** on for many years now defying the Constitution with corruption from all directions.

If you question that give all 61 pages of this a read. If you can't see it after that then you are probably doomed when the SHTF as it most likely will a lot sooner than later.
Articles Of Freedom

[edit on 24-12-2009 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OpTiMuS_PrImE

Read my post more carefully. I said "system of government."

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
first off, Merry Christmas to You.

mkay, but why do thank gummint for doing their job which is 1000000th part of their actual job anyway? are you glad they didnt butt in your business that much this year?

yes i am thankful for my gubment too. the police didnt stop me for no reason and didnt search me illegally this year. hooray.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by marsvolta]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Sorry for that it was not you i was singling out the reply wasn't meant for you i was in a hurry to post , but the post still stands for anyone cheering our government on.
I clicked it to go into the reply screen

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
hey prime,
I suppose your government in Canada is ok. No problem coming from me but I'm an American. Ours sucks. England's gov't sucks too. With how many posts i see coming from you plus the troubling the title banner for this one I can only surmise you're fishing for points and injurious insults from "us" who are in no way satisfied with the performance of our dictatorships. I didn't even bother to read your whole post, it's just too long winded...

For the most part i get the jist of ur post but how can the U.S. trust anyone anymore when money slated for programs intended for the betterment of the community winds up making "elected" officials richer? When the money's gone, quick fixes like lotteries, bond creation, and other fundraisers are implemented. Our government is woefully inadequate for the resources it demands... by force may i add. Don't forget that the U.S. really owns you too and it will be only a matter of time before uncle sam comes a knockin at your door. So when that happens are you gonna come out with your hands over your head or on the trigger of your gun?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTHING 4 NO ONE
hey prime,
I suppose your government in Canada is ok. No problem coming from me but I'm an American. Ours sucks. England's gov't sucks too. With how many posts i see coming from you plus the troubling the title banner for this one I can only surmise you're fishing for points and injurious insults from "us" who are in no way satisfied with the performance of our dictatorships. I didn't even bother to read your whole post, it's just too long winded...

For the most part i get the jist of ur post but how can the U.S. trust anyone anymore when money slated for programs intended for the betterment of the community winds up making "elected" officials richer? When the money's gone, quick fixes like lotteries, bond creation, and other fundraisers are implemented. Our government is woefully inadequate for the resources it demands... by force may i add. Don't forget that the U.S. really owns you too and it will be only a matter of time before uncle sam comes a knockin at your door. So when that happens are you gonna come out with your hands over your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Um where did i say i was from Canada lol

Get your posters straight the US Government sucks ass i am well aware of that.

You did not read the entire post ah i see another 1 line reader to jump to conclusions im not fishing for anything i could give a damn about some stupid forum points and flags silly you.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
i think the point here is not to analyze the individuals in place now, or the wrongs that they have commited, but instead analyze the aidea of a governing body in the sense that we as people need structure of some sorts.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I am thankful that I can go to any corner and buy medicine from a store 24 hours a day.

I am thankful every city has a museum, or multiple museums, theaters, galleries and churches.

I am thankful I can major in what I want.

I am thankful that no matter where I go, I can call 911 in an emergency.

What does any of the above have to do with government?
2nd linia

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Are you for real, god why do these guys follow my post everywhere i go. Go back to your FBI Dis-Info agent cubical lol.

NOTHING 4 NO ONE

Threads Started: 0
Total Replies: 0
Applause: 0

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
[edit on 24-12-2009 by NOTHING 4 NO ONE]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join