It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking the Pulse :: How Big Was Your Christmas/Holliday Bonus This Year?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I know... lots of people don't get them. My business has been hammered so hard that I'm totally on the ropes. But I thought it would be interesting to see how the rest of the ATS community is fairing... considering at least SOME people in this country seem to be doing quite well, thank you very much.

Like I said, personally I'm toast this year but my wife received $200. She works as the paralegal in a law firm that did pretty well. She works easily 50+ hours a week, gets no paid benefits and has taken one sick day in 3 yrs. The firm would be screwed without her. But they saw fit to give her a bonus that amounts to one-half percent of her salary. Thank you very much Ebeneezer...

So how about you guys? How did everyone else make out this year???

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I run a small home reno company , so my bonus was the same, none

But as far as the guys working for me , I kept the same bonus

for them.

We always go to the Mandarin buffet , where its food and drinks on me

I always give each 500 bucks as well.

Nothing changed this year

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm got a $100 gift certificate for Costco. The CEO of the company usually pays the taxes on it. This year he decided not to. But he drives a Bentley. I don't care. I make good money, am thankful to have a job, and can work extra shifts and make plenty more. But none of us nurses got a raise for 2009 like we usually do. I could care less about perks and bonuses. I want my cost of living wage increase. I got to cash out some PTO $500 after $300 in taxes were taken out. Thanks government! But it all went to dental work.

My wife works for a major retailer and she bonused nicely. Got an extra $700 after taxes. However she works her BUTT OFF and deserves every penny. Treats her employees really well.

On another note I live in a very affluent area and the malls have been VERY packed. It's very hard to be convinced there is even any economic suffering going on in this country. I'm originall from the Midwest so I'm sure things are different in different areas of the country but out here in CA. there is just so much wealth or atleast people living beyond their means.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

That's down righ ridiculous that your wife only got $200. To me that's almost a slap in the face. Sometimes I'd rather not get anything at all. She sounds like a very important employee who works hard and keeps her head down. Lawyers are no different than doctors. The doctors we work with can't even hand sign their cards to us. Just some generic mass printed card.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

On another note I live in a very affluent area and the malls have been VERY packed. It's very hard to be convinced there is even any economic suffering going on in this country.

I see the same thing.

The malls are packed.

I don't believe that there is any economic suffering going on.

As far as the bonus thing.

Employees always get crapped on.

That's what it means to be an employee.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I work as a supervisor and case worker for a home health company. I get salary so i work over 50 hours a week , no big deal , I enjoy my job and I enjoy helping people.

I wasnt expecting one but my bonus this year was 340 dollars.
However the health care field is one that will always be around and always booming, people are always needing help.

That is however until this healthcare bill, then we shall see how much more over loaded the system gets.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Bonus... hahahah!! News that we got where I work is that next year we are getting a whopping 1.5% rasie. This after 5 years of having our wages frozen. We asked for some money from corporate to have a christmas party in our department and we were alloted $5.00/ per person. Then they decided to keep that as well. You know how bad the times are and all, yet the company just absolutely loves shipping our jobs off to India, because it is sooo much cheaper. At first it was off shoring the call centres to Phillipines and now it is about shipping our engineering and support off to India. Great company, considering they love to use the slogan on our paycheques "brought to you by Canadian customers". I just wish that the Canadian government would highly tax corporations that want to lay off nationals and off shore their jobs to foreign lands. At least the US has a high tax for companies that chose to do this.
There are alot of companies out there who are using the "recession" card to cut , cut , cut and when you look at their profits they are pretty much the same as any other year. waa waaa, we only made 350 million this quarter. I cannot see my job being around much longer than this year. The moral is horrible as everyone fears that they will be cut at anytime.
Vacations cut, benefits cut, no salary increases, no FT hires (all contractors). I need to stop now because I would like to not be totally pissed and depressed over the holidays. BUT it could always be worse I suppose.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
First time in 8 years we didn't get one.
But we get little bonuses throughout the year - if business is good -
So no complaints -
but businesses are definitely feeling it.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
In the interest of the holiday spirit I thought I'd share this little story with you all...

My business partner lives in a decidedly upper-middle class neighborhood. Obviously he's doing as poorly as I am but his wife is doing OK so they're getting by. On Monday he taped an envelope with $20 in it as a holiday thank you for the trash guys (I'm embarassed to say I didn't even know you tipped the trash guys). A short time later he sees a car drive up with a college-aged kid driving who proceeds to take the envelope and drive away.

A bit later tyhe trash guys show up and my partner goes out to talk to them. He tells them about the envelope and the kid in the car and they say, 'yea, he's the boss' kid. He drives around ahead of our route and takes all the tips. The company then decides what we get'

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Ten dollars.

From a customer, not management.

Didn't expect anything really.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Zero.

But I suspect the CEO, COO, CSO, CFO, CIO, and other executives got their usual 5 figure bonuses.... after all THEY deserve it for saving all that bonus money this year!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I got $1,250 from my company this year. Up from $1,000 the previous year.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Fifty dollar WalMart card...happy to have a job

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
After having second thoughts, I deleted my original post. I hope everyone has a wonderful time this holiday. Families and loved ones to share the holidays with are the most important thing.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Better than last year, I get $100.00 for every year that I have worked for the company that I am with. $1800.00 this year. I might add that the business I work for is fairly recession-proof. Merry Christmas, and I hope everyone's Christmas is better next year!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

I run a small home reno company , so my bonus was the same, none

But as far as the guys working for me , I kept the same bonus

for them.

We always go to the Mandarin buffet , where its food and drinks on me

I always give each 500 bucks as well.

Nothing changed this year
Good for you! You sound like a good boss to work for, because you value your employees. Star for you.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
What's a bonus?

Never got one my entire working career. Teachers don't get bonusses, construction workers don't get bonusses, shrimp fishermen don't get bonusses, military doesn't get bonusses. Even when I was a computer salesman I didn't get any bonusses, despite being top salesman (small single-store business).

So I guess my bonus is same as always: zip.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
being on a fixed income, i waited for the 3rd quarter CPI to ascertain the usual COLA for next year... (which i don't regard as a bonus per-se)

but, the peoples' President Obama... already had it in the works
that for 2010-11-12...the COLAS are to be suspended !

~ so its slow strangulation for all of us on fixed incomes ~,
thank goodness i can still access the VA health care system
& only rely on the fee-for-service Medicare system in Emergencies

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It would be really nice if - before posting stuff like this at Christmas - people engaged their brains and remembered that some of us don't have a wage - let alone a 'bonus'. But hey I'm really pleased for those of you with little extras in your pay check. Let me wish you Peace, Goodwill (and the gift of Tact) in the coming year.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join