It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any ideas for a fun adventure?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
These days, there really isn't much entertainment provided to us that is related to nature. What I mean by that is entertainment in today's world is defined as activities such as watching a movie, playing video games, or blah blah bullpoop. They are all ridiculous time wasters that don't provide your body with real exposure.

What I am going for here is the world has become a place where you look at screens and use your fingers to type like I'm doing right now, and that is the extent of it. I am a very active person, and I very frequently get the urge to go out and adventure in nature with my friends. The problem is that I have exhausted ideas on fun adventures, or as I like to call them, missions. Because that is what they are. That is how I like to set up my adventures, is by making a kind of checklist and synopsis before I go. I like to keep the missions as open ended as possible of course, but like to have a basic idea of what I will be doing.

So, can you help me out here? can you recommend some kind of outdoor activity I can do that will be really great and possibly enlightening?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I've always wanted to do the whole "Man Vs Wild" TV show kinda thing. Go out in the bush, hunt things, eat em.. Build a shelter.. Get lost, and find civilization again!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CaninE.G

If my life was not destroyed, i would want to see a match in every top flight stadium in europe.

i know it sounds weird, but just to see all the different ways each country and fans look at football.

these days plane flights are so cheap, and you can come back same day, without hotels.

There is like 20 teams in a league, and thats 20 stadiums, and times that by 8 or what ever leagues in europe, you get aload of different views, or adventures. Not sure how many years it would take for you to goto like 160 different stadiums all over europe, but if my life was not destroyed i would do something like that.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Oh andy1033, your life was destroyed? Why haven't you ever mentioned this before?

I'm with WishForWings, I would love to do a Bear Grylls style 'Man versus Wild' type of thing.

I went paint balling once, that was a real rush too.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
take you and several of your closest friends. then find a nice cabin in the woods or hills or whatever, so long as there is plent of nothing around.

Have each friend bring a box and several nick-nacks with them. and plenty of beverages or whatever you like to relax with.

once at the cabin, take said "beverages" and put them in the fridge with the idea that you "shouldnt" drink them until it is time. and it is not time yet.

now each person gets to go out and hide thier box full of nick nacks (now having a gps will help here, in case you forgot the part about not drinking the beverages, which will lead to forgeting where you put the box...)

after that, each day you can go out as a group or individually and try to refind all the boxes. the person who finds the first box not belonging to them gets to decide how much and who, as far as the beverage goes. retrieve one nick nack from each box to prove that you have found the box.

it is kinda like a scavenger hunt but you get to see lots of nature, you chance gettin glost in the wild, and you get to have good times with your friends, playing a big drinking game.

anyway, i hope you find the adventure you are looking for!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Yeah, I definitely like the whole man vs wild type of adventure. It would be so great. I think that is something I would want to do by myself, with no friends, and just me against nature. SWEET. I will definitely do that at some point, but in the meantime, any more ideas?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
1. Go to the Caribbean and find a sailboat that is going to do a transatlantic crossing. They leave from one of the down islands like St Maartens or Barbados. They always travel as a group of boats for safety. Usually you just need to pay your own expenses for supplies.

2. If you are really flush, buy yourself a 32ft + sailboat and do the world..but not alone..and take a stainless steel mini-14 or riot shotgun and a lot of ammo and Rum.

3. Go explore the Kamchatka peninsula in Russia.. Just about the ultimate wilderness adventure. It is near the top on my list of things to do before I kick off.

4. Get a big screen TV, a Lazy Boy, a lot of beer and subscribe to the Travel channel...
)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
grab a knap sack filled with a few essentials and just go. anywhere. just start walking. walk until you find something cool then walk towards that. visit it and then keep walking.

you dont have to walk to can take a car but the ideas the same. just go. explore the world alittle piece at a time.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Why don't you try to sneak in to Area 51?

Trying to get past all of the security forces, cameras and sensors to sneak onto a top secret miltary base would be an adventure right out of a 007 novel.

And do remember to write us all from Gitmo when (if?) you get caught.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Any ideas for a fun adventure?

Personally, my last "adventure" was going to Japan. However...I made no hotel reservations, I booked no tours, and I didn't bring any maps or guidebooks. Just a japanese dictionary. I literally walked out of the airport and just started looking around, and I ended up taking a bus to a city that I knew only by name because I had heard it mentioned several years prior.

It was a lot of fun. Though there were some unpleasant times as well. It was definitely an adventure.

(And incidentally, Kabuki-cho has nothing to do with kabuki theatre.)

That is how I like to set up my adventures, is by making
a kind of checklist and synopsis before I go.

I took the opposite route. I deliberately made no plans. Having an itinerary is not very adventuresome. Always knowing where you're going to sleep feels very safe. Adventure is about exploration...and meeting the unknown. So meet it halfway.

Going deliberately unprepared to a foreign country that speaks a foreign language is definately an adventure.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

sure.. camp in your garden for a week.

simple and very very basic..

You get to look at what you have and what you dont and its tempting to run in your house and bzzzing a pizza

thats my challange to u

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My dad was friends with an old-school stockbroker who was very good at his job back in the day. Once a year he'd have himself dropped off by helicopter in the middle of nowhere, Alaska (always in a dense snowpack) with nothing but the clothes on his back, a big knife, and a compass. Then he'd try to find his way to some sort of civiliastion. This was back in the 50s or so when there were no cellphones and not much shaking in rural Alaska. He always made it back, too.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
After going to war, i kinda devolped a more adrenaline lifestyle and have done pretty much everything except base jumpiing... I think that was all about trying to deal with the realities of conflict....

But in Jan im going all out for a trip up eastern australia... I have been to mebourne, sydney,brizzy, and want to go from the apostles up to the harbour (that my family helped to build) in sydney.. Watch out manly beech! kendras coming! lol... but before that im going to adelaide to take pics of the churches lol...

Finally, after a month... I will pass through brisbane and on to toowoomba to check out my mates... Then willl have all the gloria coffee i need lol..

Then later stay for good...

Adventurous for ya??

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Why don't you try to sneak in to Area 51?

Trying to get past all of the security forces, cameras and sensors to sneak onto a top secret miltary base would be an adventure right out of a 007 novel.

And do remember to write us all from Gitmo when (if?) you get caught.

Nice thought, but Camo dudes won't let you get close enough to see anything.
Better off to set up camp in the desert and marvel at the strange lights that appear to be UFO's.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

In the summer, I go fishing. When a thunderstorm comes up I get under the tallest tree I can find and wait it out. If I see deep mud, I wade right out in it. I try to walk through the thickest, most snake infested grass and brush that I can find. I do the same when I am hunting. I also walk on the edge of steep cliffs. I am not recommending that anyone do these things, in fact, I would urge everyone to do the opposite. I have omitted plenty of other thrills so no one gets any really bad ideas. This is what I do to make life more adventurous. BTW, I am not suicidal, just playing the odds till my luck runs out.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

fun adventure?

Came up with some more ideas for you:

* Join the Society for creative anachronisms, build a suit of armor and participate in live combat (video)

* Get a ham radio license and attend your next local Hamfest

* Go to your local airpot and take a flight lesson

* Find your local dropzone and go skydiving

* If you're near water, try kayaking, or surfing, skin boarding, jet skiing or SCUBA diving

* Near snow? Go skiing or snowboarding

Adventure is everywhere.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Sea Kayaking is something I am going to be doing in the spring and try and get one of my daughters inerested too. There are hundreds of Scottish islands out here just waiting to be plundered and exploited ... Err I mean explored.

I must stop thinking like a human (cheapshot, sorry).

Sailing is also a fun thing to do. I spent two weeks on a twelve metre racing yacht in the Bay of Biscay a few years ago. The adventure was certainly there as we sailed through the night in a terrible storm, waves crashing down over me as the others huddled and vomited below decks, going through the motions of weight and weightlessness as we crested and dived down into wave after wave all through the night – it was magnificent!

The depth was thousands of metres deep. It was too deep to register on the depth sounder but I had checked the chart before coming on watch (I was freaked out). As I had the wheel I really could feel the depth like a car driver feels the condition of a road as I battled to keep the yacht on course. I quickly learned that you can feel the waves as they come in much more than you can see them and I also learned that the way to keep the yachts on course in a storm is to bounce the bow against the surge of incoming water and then ease the wheel into the after-surge much like you steer into a car skidding on ice.

I was drenched and cold like everyone else but unlike everyone else I was whooping with joy every time a wave crashed over the boat and smothered me.

Then there are long hikes into the wilderness with just yourself and maybe a dog for company. The adventure starts when the first thing to go wrong blows your plans out of the water and you are all of a sudden having the time of your life, muscles aching like they are on fire, your joints screaming for mercy as you hike through valleys and over Munroe’s. Combine a hike of other outdoor adventure with a sky watching mission and you are in seventh heaven (I certainly am).

The last time I went hiking in the Scottish highlands however in company I was reminded why I prefer my own company much more or just the company of a dog. My friend griped and moaned when he got hungry and cold and then decided that the perfect accompaniment to a night of sky watching was to build a fire and ruin our natural night vision.
He then griped some more then after a time I emptied some loch water over the fire and told him “I prefer silence so that I can hear and darkness so that I can see otherwise camping in a garden might be more his thing”.

The final straw was on the morning when I sat and watched an Osprey dancing between the trees and was enthralled with the way such a huge bird seemed to glide and move like an angelic being. It really felt like a profound feeling of connection as it obviously saw us watching it and even my dog just sat beside me and watched it doing its thing – time standing still as this huge bird of prey danced for us against a primeval ancient backdrop.

Unnoticed until it was too late to stop him my friend decided to edge closer as if he was some sort of ninja and the Osprey was spooked and flew away. I grinned at him and told him it was time to go home – Inside I was imagining ramming my fist down his throat and choking him on his own larynx.

At least I learned that the so called anti NWO warrior and self proclaimed survival expert was just an expert within the realm of his own mind. I am at least educated to his liability long before the SHTF and I guess there is purpose in discovering that now rather than later, and he has never come out with me again, never will.

There are many things you can do out there, just get out there and do it, the one that suits you will become apparent as soon as you start doing it, just make sure that if you go in company that the company you pick is suitable for what you have in mind.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Where do you live?

I often do the "man vs wild thing", but I wouldnt recommend doing it without experience, and alot of reading. But backcountry camping is ALOT of fun, just know your environment. Bear vs man, bear usually will win.

Depending on where you live, I could give you some great ideas.

I took up Mountain biking this past year, and it has been awesome.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

I love reading your stuff SJ

As for an adventure - I can only tell you the vague, uninformed one, taking nebulous shape in my frazzled, tired, mind:
As some of the members know, I currently reside in China. I've been musing for some time, locating either an abandoned junk, or buying one dirt-cheap. Getting it seaworthy, and sailing it back to Australia, or the US - whichever comes first

Remember I said uninformed: I have no idea how feasible the idea of finding/buying an old ocean-going junk is. But I do know, a professor from my old uni days, who did just that. So maybe it's still a doable thing.

Before anyone takes up my dubious plan, I should add that between China and the Indian, and Pacific, you might get an unplanned and uninvited boat-warming from any number of local pirates.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
I went paint balling once, that was a real rush too.

Yep, I have done that too, twice when I was in the Army. My Troop had the time of our lives but I was disqualified twice, once for sneaking into the other teams camp, taking a prisoner and then shooting him in the back as we ran back to my group because I was taking too much fire –balls splatting all over the place , too close for comfort lol so I blew my prisoner away and escaped to much laughter (and then disqualification).

The second time we were defending; one enemy bloke poked his paint ball gun through a window and shot the man behind me as I ducked out of the way. As he cocked it to shoot me I grabbed it, turned it around and shoot him in the face with it. Even with a mask on he screamed blue murder and the umpire – the same one that had disqualified me the first time disqualified me again.

So for me, too many rules for my taste but if they bring out a paintball game with swords, axes and spears I will be right there and I will bring a trebuchet

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join