It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Senate passes sweeping healthcare reform Bill - but tough talks lie ahead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

US Senate passes sweeping healthcare reform Bill - but tough talks lie ahead

www.timesonline.co.uk

But significant hurdles await the legislation. Work will begin in the new year in reconciling the Senate legislation with a House of Representatives Bill that was passed last month. Potentially tough negotiations are expected throughout January as the two Bills have significant differences.

The Senate Bill does not include the "public option" - a government-backed insurance programme - which is a key part of the House legislation. The provision is expected to be hard fought for by liberals in the House, but any public option risks losing the key votes of moderate Democrats in both the Hou
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.marketwatch.com

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
So the Senate passes the Bill. I do not think it will stay in the form it is presented. I expect the Public Option to be further weakened at least.

Anyone actually happy with this Bill ? Progressives what do you think of the 'Public Option', Republicans, what do you think of the extra tax?

From my perspective in the U.K, it does at least look to lessen the burden on the Federal Budget thus reducing your deficit.

Any other thoughts?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I consider a mandate without a public option to be the worst possible outcome. This is a dream giveaway to the insurance companies.

Because of this bill I may never vote for a republican or democrat again. I am sickened by the industry insiders shaping and influencing our laws. They don't even bother trying to hide it anymore, there's numerous articles out right now showing just how each "moderate" was bribed into voting for this.

I am frankly sickened by this. I'm for the opinion that every single incumbent in d.c. needs to be kicked out of washington never to return. We can't keep voting these yahoos in.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
When they get rid of the mandate I will be a lot more enthusiastic. As it is 30 million of the 47 million without health insurance will now be covered. Those with pre-existing conditions will not denied but they will still be soaked with extremely high premiums and insurance costs won't go down much if at all...people who can't afford it will be "subsidized" forcing a lot more people into the welfare class and that is going to be humiliating for a lot of people. There are some provisions to cap costs and reign the insurance industry in but not enough, IMO.

I think we are all angry that this is a windfall for the savage and immoral insurance industry...also the banking industry which is now investing heavily in "health care"...because they know more about the final outcome than we?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

The bankers want as many people who are not of their culture and type to die as possible. They think the healthcare system is the perfect delivery system for death. For years with demonically pocessed members of the Rockefeller family in control of the FDA and the AMA patients have been treated like cattle. Just because crummy healthcare is given away for free does not mean people will line up to recieve it. The descendants of bankers will look back on these heartless actions with great remorse and curse the bankers alive at this time.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It may not be perfect. The Bill does though seem to offer more help for the American people, and i think it will result in a better system for the majority than what already exists. Yes Insurance Companies will continue to make Billions, and perhaps more. But did you really expect these interests to suddenly be ignored by this presidency?

They have been a power for decades, and it would take more than one year of a presidency to change this. I think this may be the best you could expect. Would a Bill with a strong 'Public Option' even have passed a Senate vote? This lays the groundwork for this possability of this in the future.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I think this may be the best you could expect.

I must respectfully but vehemently disagree.

To say this is the best we can expect is just defeatism. I for one demand better. I will let my vote reflect this in the coming elections. It probably makes little difference to them, but I can at least have my say then.

They work for us, not the companies. It might be the status quo, but I don't have to accept that. We shouldn't be accepting this so easily.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I believe it is too late for public health care in America. Britain and the rest of the industrialised world introduced it when the private sector was small. The United States allowed it to grow and grow, with too much power and influence.

It simply cannot occur, I don't think.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

I understand. Mabye the best you could expect for now? I just don't see how the power of the Insurance companies could be rolled back in one go?

The Bill does not really take any power away from these companies, but at least offers more to the People. I would expect if Obama really tried to change the relationship between the Insurance Companies and the Government, as well as the other special interests, his life would be under threat.

Only time will tell i suppose on this Bill. I did notice that alot of the legislation and changes will not come into effect until 2014. Does this mean it can be scuppered if the Republicans regain office in 2012?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
This whole thing simply makes me sick...the fact that so many of these Sen. were bought off with earmarks for their states, or "bribes" which will be funds that go to "special" projects...and believe you me, those special projects will be done by contractors and others who give generously to these Sen. re-election campaigns. Its all dirty and stinks to high heavens. I truly believe we are all watching the fall of western society and our Republic has been compromised as never before. Our elected officals have shown time and time again they are willing to be enfluenced and compromised for the "right price". God help us all in these days ahead...

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

Western society was born in Europe to be fair, and we are not going anywhere
. Politicans are always being bought, it is part of the system unfortunatly.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
[pardon the repeat of a post in another thread]

Ultimately, this legislative artifact is not about Universal health Care... It's about health care reform. Now, what form that effort takes is the issue; you see the entrenched agendas which our 'representatives' are married to, want to control that reform. And our representatives are only too willing to oblige...

Making it a law that citizens must have health insurance is not equivalent to 'universal' health care; it's mandated coverage.

The establishment operates on the principle that this can be marketed as a reform for the better, regardless of its eventual impact.

Bottom line: The state of American Health Care is price-fixed insurance, devoid of monopoly and collusion oversight, it is in effect a revenue generating arm of the financial industry who uses the legitimacy of medical need to force the injured and infirmed towards a single-legal-solution at the price fo their choosing. Politicans call it 'cost' as if it had nothing to do with 'profit.'

It is capilitstic exploitation in its most succesful guise. Protected by government, controlled by corporate-influenced "public" servants, deeply intertwined with academic and research professionals.... what more could you want?

Merry Christmas....

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This is motivation to stay or get healthy by exercising daily, eating the salads at the fast food places, etc..
Lot's of people belong to gyms that are affordable. Find a few good walking partners, stear clear of constant yackers!
Since they are putting us in 2nd priority find ways divest from insurance cos and bankers.
Vote accordingly in the next election.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
This is motivation to stay or get healthy by exercising daily, eating the salads at the fast food places, etc..
Lot's of people belong to gyms that are affordable. Find a few good walking partners, stear clear of constant yackers!
Since they are putting us in 2nd priority find ways divest from insurance cos and bankers.
Vote accordingly in the next election.

I would steer clear of those cheap cabbage salads they sell at fast food places. You would be better off eating dandilions from fields. Plenty who exercise become sick. When people become sick that will be when the government healthcare will move in for the kill. You say you won't go to the doctor for anything? This will not be an option. The government can and will mandate tests and checkups so they will know how to treat you. Survival will become more of a fight.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Not perfect .. but I'll take it ..

one step closer to VICTORY !!!!

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Polynomial C]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polynomial C
Not perfect .. but I'll take it ..

one step closer to VICTORY !!!!

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Polynomial C]

Define victory. How does this help you? Because the beurocrats are in for a shock when they find out how mean spirited people become when a health care system maltreats them or a loved one.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

What does that even mean? Your going to launch that long touted revolution of the masses? Not going to happen, have you seen your fellow citizens?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Victory because NO ONE should be without Health Care ...

Victory because i should not choose between going to college and my HEALTH ...

Etc, etc ..

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

I don't follow your reasoning. People will still be without healthcare. This bill does not claim to solve universal health care.

The insurance companies have already gone on record saying they'll raise premiums. With us being mandated to buy, how is that helping?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by eradown

What does that even mean? Your going to launch that long touted revolution of the masses? Not going to happen, have you seen your fellow citizens?

Yep americans will not do anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join