It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we a nation of over indulgence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If you are not religious, please be warned.
If you are against God, or a non-believer, do NOT bash or flame.
I am open to all faiths.
I've asked nicely.
This is a thread based on the gathering of thoughts I've had recently.

This is a sermon.

I've been watching secular society, and up until today...
I have always been a person to purchase what I want and when I want it.
This is a very broad subject, so please readers, bear with me.

I look around at everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, and see nothing but over indulgence and excessive spending habits.
People put themselves in debt over food, clothing, automobiles, and housing!
Ever notice the insane amount of people with entirely too many toys for their own good?
I look around at the things I have, not much by a rich mans standards, but I have things I do not need.
I am not trying to be hypocritical.
BUT: We don't NEED new clothing, we don't NEED a new car! ETC...
We WANT these things. Why? Because its nice to have? Not a good enough answer!
I see those at church with the same aspects. Nice car, big house, perfect clothes...

Then I see people that have nothing.

I see those who only have 1 shirt, or 1 pair of pants, to use everyday. They stink a foul smell, and are in poor health. I go to places and donate food to those who I consider "less fortunate". I am appalled. I see people struggle to make ends meet and then I see people who say, "Get a Job!".
Talk about diversity.

AND WE, as a consumer nation, FROWN UPON THIS?

Is this a product of being "successful"?
Is this the product of our own fall from grace?

This might take a while.

As a Christian man, I do not understand why it is put in our head:
Success is based on how much money you make, and what you can buy with it.
I thought success means being happy.
I can't grasp that thought.
I can't fathom why we have become such a greedy nation.

Then I was shown a form of the truth.
Money, in my belief, is a form of the beast. Not metaphorically.
Literally.
All of our lives we strive to work for more MONEY.
We base our entire existence on what we consider right.

Why is it, when I see money, I get sick? Why is it, that our culture is based on money. It is no longer based on God. Admit it. We live everyday to please ourselves with money. Not God. We don't work for Him to get things done. We work for money.
We are taught, at an early age, to go to school and earn a degree for what?
MORE MONEY. Be successful! Live the American Dream!

Here's the kicker: In these days, you can't live in society without MONEY.
You can live off the land for a while, but you become stranded, a loner.
There are plenty of people who have given up society's view of success and become loners. I applaud them.
Our society is revolving more and more around money.
Money is taking us away from God. I feel Satan is using it as the ultimate tool in his arsenal against humanity. His grasp is strengthening. I see children now, taught the same principals. The exact same mistakes. So basically, my summary, is that we are being taught that you don't need God, you need money.

I ask those who can help, to do so. There are a lot of people in need right now.
I pray to understand what it is I need to do. I pray to show those who don't know.
All I can ask for is His understanding. His strength. His healing.
For I, a man, am inferior to His power.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Nice topic! Purchasing power is as addictive as illegal drugs.

What should stop you other than looking at the spiritual side of things which is ultimately the best for you, is to establish long term goals that would require you to save money. Goals that could benefit more people than yourself indefinitely (so buying a ferrari is definitely out of those list). A very good example is saving money for a good quality education for your kids.

It's all for the best in the long run, I tell.

[edit on 23-12-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Admittedly, Iam not religious..but you are correct.
It is the founding fathers of modern society, such as it is..that use consumerism or the lack of it..to be the tool that we judge our self worth and the worth of others..VERY , VERY sad, and very wrong.
I speak to people in this world that are both sides of the coin, wealthy and not...and you certainly cannot , nor should not judge a person by bank account only.
Some of the best people are dirt poor, and some of the worst are filthy rich.
I recently read this quote on ATS, and apologies as I cannot remember which member posted it to give credit to..but the message is very important...

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY- "If all the world's wealth was distributed evenly, each person would have $20,500 of assets to use-destroying the economy and causing a huge spike in sales of useless consumer items. Six months later, the world's richest 2% would again own 50% of the world's wealth and the bottom 50% would again be... victims of 'inequality.'"

You have to think that there are reasons why the world is the way that it is..even if we don't always understand or can rationalize why.You don't always need to incorporate faith of any kind to try to make sense of the universe and it's mechanics.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Thanks for that tidbit of info.
I appreciate all members who would read this thread. (not many have)

My focus was to involve those people here just to see the excessive use as money for a crutch. Faith has nothing to do with it, as you've noted.

It is a bad thing. But I still believe there is hope for few.
There are good people still on ths planet.

new topics

top topics

join