It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleopatra is still making news.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Despite two thousand years, she's still making news. Cleopatra's Mausoleum may well have been located according to archaeologist working off the coast of Alexandria.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Threshold to Cleopatra's mausoleum discovered off Alexandria coast
• Threshold to massive door found off Alexandria
• Queen's mausoleum part of sunken palace complex

Helena Smith in Athens guardian.co.uk,
Wednesday 23 December 2009 22.10 GMT

A team of Greek marine archaeologists who have spent years conducting underwater excavations off the coast of Alexandria in Egypt have unearthed a giant granite threshold to a door that was once the entrance to a magnificent mausoleum that Cleopatra VII, queen of the Egyptians, had built for herself shortly before her death.

They believe the 15-tonne antiquity would have held a seven metre-high door so heavy that it would have prevented her from consoling her Roman lover before he died, reputedly in 30BC.

"As soon as I saw it, I thought we are in the presence of a very special piece of a very special door," Harry Tzalas, the historian who heads the Greek mission, said.

"There was no way that such a heavy piece, with fittings for double hinges and double doors, could have moved with the waves so there was no doubt in my mind that it belonged to the mausoleum. Like Macedonian tomb doors, when it closed, it closed for good."

The threshold, part of the sunken palace complex in which Cleopatra is believed to have died, was discovered recently at a depth of eight metres but only revealed this week. It has yet to be brought to the surface. The archaeologists have also recovered a nine-tonne granite block which they believe formed part of a portico belonging to the adjoining temple of Isis Lochias.

I wonder what they will locate with the Mausoleum, should they gain entry in the coming days? I can hardly wait to see.

Interesting that the doors are presumed to be styled like Macedonian Tomb Doors.

As for that 9 Tonne Block, that recently was recovered.

www.gadling.com...

Pylon from Cleopatra's temple raised from the sea

by Sean McLachlan (RSS feed)
on Dec 20th 2009 at 3:30PM

Archaeologists have pulled a massive pylon from the bay of Alexandria, Egypt, that was once a part Cleopatra's royal complex.

The pylon, a pillar of red granite measuring 2.2 meters long and weighing nine tons, formed part of the temple of Isis and stood right next to Cleopatra's mausoleum in the year 30 BC............

The pylon and other artifacts from the sunken royal district may end up in a planned underwater museum that Egypt wants to build in Alexandria. Archaeologists have discovered a whole city graced with 26 sphinxes, countless statues and fragments of architecture, and ancient shipwrecks.

I wonder if this would be "Like" Atlantis, in the manner inwhich they construct the Museum, or would they turn it into a Scuba Diver's Park? Maybe Glass Bottom Boats, would work?

Anyways, that certainly is a lot of items within the waters of this city complex. It would be nice to see these Items.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I found an article regarding the Pylon from the Isis Temple recently retrieved from it's resting place and there where several Photo's of it that the Other Sources didn't seem to offer.

www.google.com...

Incase one wished to view this piece there are 7 photos available.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Wow. I also wonder what amazing treasures could await beyond those stone doors.

Thank you so much for sharing this, and I look forward to hearing any updates that come forward.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Man,,, I'm so glad I came across this site !!! This is some great stuff!!!

top topics

join