It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Peek, a man who inspired more than 'Rain Man'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Kim Peek, a man who inspired more than 'Rain Man'

fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com

MIAMI – After 27 years as a news reporter, the single most memorable person I have met was not a president, a deposed leader or a movie star.

Kim Peek, the man who inspired the title character in the Oscar-winning movie "Rain Man," remains the most interesting and confounding individual I ever reported on.

When I heard he passed away earlier this week, I was both sad and relieved. Mostly, I was relieved for his aging father, Fran Peek.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Wow. I can't believe he's dead. I just finished watching a documentary on him not long ago. To those who don't know, Kim Peek is a megasavant that was declared mentally impaired as a child. (Ironic isn't it?)

He's a genius in 15 different subjects, but can't take care of himself. He relied on his aging father for everything from brushing his hair to tying his shoes. I guess in some ways, his death can be seen as a relief for his father since his father was always worrying about who'll take care of Kim once he's gone.

fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/23/2009 by Hyzera]

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Here's a documentary on Kim on YT.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Great Post Hyzera

Kim Peek was an amazing human being displaying to what extent the human mind is capable of operating at.

Thank god for The Rain Man for displaying Peek's talent's to the rest of the world.

Hopefully Neuroscientist's discovered new and amazing things about the mind through Peek.

It is a shame that his condition came at a cost. I wonder if it is possible for a Savant to not be handicapped?

RIP Kim Peek

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
S & F

Thanks for posting this thread.
I've heard of him but never knew who he was. Thanks for the videos.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Beyourself

Yes, there savants that are not handicapped, except possibly socially. One of the most well known, thanks to the Discovery Channel, is Daniel Tammet.

Savants are trully amazing people, not only for the awe inspiring talents they possess, but also for their simply beautiful outlook on life. In the case of Kim Peek, his father has as much to teach us as Kim himself. I wish we could all be as giving of our lives for those we love.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I had not heard he passed, is a very sad day.

I found his story to be truly inspiring. His love of knowledge was a blessing to us all.

His father was also truly a great man for the years he dedicated to his son. I hold him in the highest regards, and hope he helps to keep his memory alive.

top topics

join